Womens Running

Trying to make sense of it all Tuesday Supermoms (Read 38 times)

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

ernie - yes, I follow Persechini on FB and it was a total shock to hear of them closing.  Big chain gyms are horrible and anonymous (even though I work for one) ..I was talking to C about it, but he doesn't work out, so he was not terribly interested.

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 3:59:26

http://runningskirtsandmanicures.blogspot.ca/ 

mrszackmorris

spike: i will tell you this about my stitch fix. Most of the pieces were $68 and all 5 totaled about $350. when i just returned the stuff i didn't want i left lots of comments and scheduled another fix for next week. i reiterated that i am a stay at home mom who lives in jeans. And asked for some specific things. Hoping they liisten!

superspike113

Honorary Old

mzm- that is more than I normally spend, but if its the right piece I'm willing to pay for it. I made a lot of notes in the comment field when I filled out my style profile and asked for some specific things, told them I don't wear pastels or anything with writing on it, etc etc. I also marked the "cheaper the better" section for everything on price and told them I buy most of my clothes at target LOL.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

spike - my half in 2 weeks has a ginormous hill also, but it's a fun race so I don't care about a PR. I'm going to go back to work with almost 8 weeks of vacation accrued. I will probably save most of it and get paid out when/if I find a different job. Timeouts didn't work well for M until recently as she just saw them as a game/joke, but she now sees it as a punishment, so I'm enjoying the effective discipline.

reh - I have a cheapo foam roller from sport chek - I don't feel like the foam is hard enough though, it's ok but if I want a real torture session I use the black one at the gym. I do agree w/ zorbs though if the injury is accute, then a chiro/graston visit will be more effective than self treatment, but self treatment is better than nothing. I'd also work on strengthening your hips and glute-med.

ernie - cruise intervals are 1k-1mile length intervals, at a fast tempo pace with very little rest inbetween, 30-60 seconds rest at max and preferably a jogging rest not walking. They are painful but I find very effective for speed over longer distances like a half. TO isn't even the center of Canada, let alone the world Smile At least that's what us westerners think... hehe

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

BermyHorse

RR update: ran 4m with the slower running club. Except I met a girl who lives a mile away from me (with 4 DDs) and she and I cruised 4m at about 8.20min/miles (of course I had the stroller but not for long, see NRR update). I hope to run with her again. She was really nice.

NRR update: I think the girl we interviewed for ‘nanny/help/faux-family/babysitter’- will work. She was really nice, early 20s, newly married, early childhood development degree, wants to work part time, wants to help clean (oooohhh yyeeaaahhh). We interviewed her at a playground and she was calm and patient and incredibly sweet. She starts Monday for introduction into Bermy’s life.

Rg – so I went on a quest to find you honey stinger gels and this area of the world doesn’t have any either. Sorry, I tried. Yay for hugs! Boo or yay on AF depending if you wanted her to come and be regular!

Zorbs – hope your run was good. What is your goal mp?

Eh – your running sounds like it is really taking off. Nice on STing too! We had no leads form people for nanny, we found her on care.com or something like that.

Cx2 – I love you wildlife spotting updates in your posts. I see waaayyy more wildlife here in TN than bermy and I love it.

Jen – thanks for understanding how I feel. I appreciated your post and it made me look at my situ more rationally.

Dexy – no idea on what happens with check ups. Yay for Richmond FM possibility. We don’t really have any neighbours yet as the houses are still being built.

Ernie – enjoy the library and I hope you stay cold-free. Dinner sounds yummy at your house. When are you planning (or if at all) on going back to work?

Mer – sorry for your sad news about your friend. You had lots of sad news yesterday. Sorry about your rude coworkers. Some people like to be the negative ones no matter what you do. I tried to remember that I could never make everyone happy, especially when it involved change.

Mrszm – post pics of things you are keeping on stitch fix. White jeans? Who would do that to a mom??? I keep meaning to write you a long email. It’s coming! Yay on running with DH!!

Stroller – good luck today with your exam. Hope those actors aren’t too pesky. Let us know how you get on. Enjoy your run today as a release from your stress.

CA – I feel the same way about the bombings. So sad and tired. Yay for help from MIL. You are very lucky to have family. I would like to help my DS when he is older and has his own family like your parents and ILs help you.

Spike – racing with DH sounds fun! Looks really hard esp that hill. Your training on hills and stroller running will help you with that a lot. Thanks for the kind words of wisdom. I think living on an island has sheltered me from the real world and I need to wake up to life and get on with it.

Becky – thanks for sharing. Would love to host your fam too. Oh promise no tofu.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

Erniegirl

CA - Thanks - I love learning about new speed workouts to try! LOL, I have quite a bit of family out west that would definitely agree with your assessment of Toronto.

Bermy - I do about 20 hours a week of freelance work from home, but I have no plans to return to work beyond that.

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15      

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- yay for successful nanny interviewing!  I hope I didn't come off sounding dismissive, everyone is entitled to their feelings and I am a lot further away from this and don't have a marathon coming up like you do. I ran a half 9 days after my mom got shot, and at the time there was a possibility of my stepdad getting out on bail. I almost didn't go to the race, but I decided it would be more fun to go out and do something that I love rather than sit at home and feel anxious and sad. I missed my PR by 9 seconds because I was running with DH (his first), but I had a great time and have no regrets- it was the right decision. Running gives me clarity and peace, and the world needs more of that IMO.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

superspike113

Honorary Old

CA- are you telling me that you are actually accruing vacation while on Mat leave? I'm moving to Canada....

running eh

spike - yep!  I was off for a year on mat leave and still had my vacation to use when I got back to work!

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

spike - it isn't super common to accrue vacation on mat leave, but yes I am.  I had 3.5 weeks when I went off and will have 7.5 when I go back.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

BermyHorse

CA - I wanted to say a huge thank you for your very sweet words and offer for when we visit Banff in summer. I read your post to DH and he went "'aawwww, she is lovely". It really touched us just to have someone offer to help us. Thank you. We have no clue what we want to do yet, but we will let you know. Thanks darling!

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31