Womens Running

Super Sat (and Sunday). Use this one (Read 16 times)

camille2

Super Bowl weekend is here!

i didn't think it posted.

Bikerchick1

Camille - Good Morning!

Gatsbybird - Hope your cough is gone when you get up today.

I am going on day 6 of NO exercise....OMG....going crazy.  Wish I could say I feel GREAT....but sadly, I don't Sad   This crud really hangs on...oh well, this to shall pass!

I did watch an interesting documentary on "The Human Diet" yesterday....study of how our diet has evolved and beacuse of a "Paleo type" diet our ancestors - going back to Neanderthals....were able to develop to eating this type of diet, lots of archeologic research.   How the industrialized diet (proccessed foods, grains, especially fructose) has been detrimental.  Sort of goes along with The Maffetone diet principle.  "Food" for thought....the things you do when you are forcing yourself to rest....

camille2

Gatsby and Carol, I hope you both feel better soon!

I have come to the conclusion that there may be different diets solutions for different people. A friend who is an Adkins South beach advocate talks about the aching legs she'd had for years disappearing since she's used those.  I tried South Beach for a couple weeks and stayed hungry/felt bad!  Another friend was a binge eater. I would have been sick an you into one of her binges, but she could eat an unbelievable amount for hours. I've been researching this sugar craving and think my receptors are needing more and more so am going the distraction techniques for that. I'll keep you posted.

i am trying to decide between Amicalola stairs and a longer flat run.  I'll probably opt for longer run.  I want to do a half in April.

For the trail runners, I just got an e-mail from Ga Forest watch (who leads group hikes) opposing organized trail runs, like the Ga Death march.  It asked us to contact the Forest management to oppose the permit.  I forwarded the email to one of the race volunteers.

have a great day!

Cathy

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille I locked the other thread for you

no puppy pool. They are moving to a new spot so are temporarily closed. Hope they are back up soon. Hammy's third week not swimming. He misses it.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Morning! I'm heading to Pilates in a bit, then running errands, then will run a few on the TM, then more throwing away of stuff in the house. I've become a cold weather wimp and don't want to go out there if it's windy and below freezing. Which it will be all day long. Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 40 so I will do a longer run then.

Carol and Gatsby, feel better! Carol, while I haven't lost any more weight since being sick, I have been able to keep the flu weight loss off. So there's that....

Camille, which half? No organized trail runs? No!!!

Marjorie, poor Hammy. I bet he does miss puppy pool.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

5.1 completed. Dh has gone to get his hair cut and mail our nephews birthday card and gift card. Did get dad to send a card this year. Good thing after Christmas and not sending a card at all last year.

Marjorie

I'm seeing signs of improvement in my cold -- thanks for the good wishes.  Ran 8 slow miles with my RC this morning and haven't taken any cold medicine today.   Taking it easy today, aside from grocery shopping and other chores.

Carol, hope you start feeling better soon.  It will pass, but not nearly fast enough!

Camille, that would be a shame if trail races are banned.  Seems like a pretty drastic measure.  Whatever the problems are, I wonder if they've been communicated to the race directors and if they've responded or blown them off.

Marjorie, poor Hammy.  Hopefully the other pool is open soon.

Karen, I don't blame you one bit for avoiding sub-freezing conditions.  Won't have to worry about that soon!

Hello to everyone else.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

The wind died down some and I couldn't resist the bright blue sky, so I ran 6 this afternoon. It was 30, but it wasn't too bad.

Gatsby, glad you're starting to feel better.

Okay, enough procrastinating - time to tear apart some bookshelves that aren't making the journey south.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Karen, it was a sunny afternoon here, too. Good for you on running in the sunshine, despite the temp. Sympathy, sympathy on the cleaning/moving. I'm doing the Oak barrel half.  Jim bean.  Good swag. DD and SIL are meeting me.

gatsby, nice 8! Glad you're better!

marjorie, thanks! Poor pupwithout pool.

I went to the gym for arms and core, did a mile on t.m, and decided It would be a great day for Amicalola. I did the trail with the stairs-604.  A good workout.

I'm not sure if there are really problems with the trail race  or if the group opposes in theory.  Bob (volunteer friend) was surprised and alerted trail community.  I'll call agency next week.

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out this morning for 9.4 miles and felt pretty good. My next target race is the Tar Heel 10-Miler in April, so I feel like I'm already in pretty good shape for that. After my run, we went to back to back basketball games for DS1 and DS2, then I came home and made desserts for tomorrow's Super Bowl party.

Lisa - I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post and say this, but thanks for the good advice regarding DH's job search. He's already doing a lot of what you suggested, but it was a good reminder. He took a class regarding how to make the most of LinkedIn and took advantage of their suggestions, and he's been reaching out to everyone he knows, both inside and outside his industry. He's been very involved in community service over the years, so he's talking to his contacts at the March of Dimes, the United Way, our food bank, etc. to let them know he's looking.

Marjorie - thanks for the advice about the knee. I've laid off the stairs, and it feels better. Sorry Hammy can't go to the pool.

Tessa - ouch on the fall! Hope all your scrapes have healed.

Camille - good job on the stairs.

Carol - sorry it's taking so long for you to recover.

Gatsby - I'm glad you seem to be getting over the cold.

Karen - you should borrow my DH for a few days! Since he's been at home, he's been on a reorganizing/cleaning/cleaning out binge. When he first left his job, I told him t have at it - except that he's not allowed to touch my kitchen. Unless he wants to take over the grocery shopping and cooking. He tried to reorganize my cupboards earlier this week, so I had to shut him down. Wink

Off to read a bit before bed.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Maffetone diet / nutrition part seems to be another rendition of eating like our ancestors would.  Would Benjamin Franklin recognize the food?  Can you tell where it came from?  Cleaner eating I honestly don't feel differently other than less gassy, which is a good thing but wasn't a major issue (at least not for me.  LOL)  Biggest observation is the convenience factor which speaks to a whole set of other topics (eating not at meal/table settings but in cars and on the move, what is available easily, how little effort we want to put into our meal planning, what media has taught us equals convenient).

A few things I have come across that were interesting in the book in just the short time I've had it was how many eat fruit and veggies that aren't ripe enough and that caused stomach distress.  Big, unripe bananas are hardest to digest.  Smallest and ripest, with dots appearing are best digested.  Also that not chewing food enough doesn't allow for digestion to appropriately begin in the mouth.. also a source of stomach distress, i.e. gas.   Those were just 2 little things that I had "duh" or "aha" moments on.  I've always preferred the smallest bananas but dh thinks bigger is better.   And how much corn has been altered to be sweeter than it was originally making it a really tough one for most people and they don't know it.  No worries, I won't become a carb-hater but all just really focuses on eating more real food, less processed, and in whole form.

Carol-the other part of Maffetone is the training part... all supposedly goes together. I figure that there's nothing to lose by looking into it.  Not like I'm a one and done racer or will be forced to stick to it.  Good to be mindful anyway at this age.

Marjorie-funny that Hammy misses swimming.

Karen-the countdown is really beginning for you!! Go West young woman!

Camille-sounds like we need to target a race in Georgia quickly!!

Gatsby-glad you're feeling better.

Cindy-glad he is doing all of that.  it's the inactivity that can turn some people off.  Be doing something, volunteer with those charities, be a lead on some project .. just shows that he wants to keep skills up and wants to be active in some manner.  Even if using the cover that he allowed you to pursue your career more fully for a period of time does wonders and makes sense.

Long day yesterday.  5:45am arrive to school and returned at 8:30pm.  I judged 7 rounds which is really exhausting.  6-7 kids per round with each of their pieces lasting 5 to 8 minutes depending on their category. Timing each (with flashcards being displayed on the minute for them) and taking notes continuously while they speak then turning in rankings and ratings immediately afterwards.  It's just stressful mentally.  But fun and the kids are great.

Lisa

ginnyb

8 miles on the TM again this morning.  It is snowing quite heavily here right now, started very early this morning.  Supposed to maybe get a foot of snow.....Oh joy.

Cindy....nice run for you.  Sounds like you are definitely ready for a 10 miler.

Lisa...interesting about the diet.  I should give it a try, but I am afraid I will cave, no willpower anymore.

Gatsby...glad the cold is so much better.

Speaking of colds, I shouldn't say this, but I have not had a cold in years.  I used to always get one humdinger a year, but I haven't in a long time.  I am unnaturally  healthy, always have been.  I am not complaining, I will takeit.  Even as a kid I never got sick.  This is probably now the kiss of death for me and will come down with a cold immediately!

Camille....that seems odd about the trail races...

Hi Marjorie, Karen, and everyone else.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

8.5 for me

Lisa glad the diet is helping you

Ginny I don't get sick easily either.

Dh woke with starts of a cold today. I made him go get some zicam so we shall see how it works

Gatsby well, they haven't gotten a new place yet. They have to find the right spot that will also allow the pool and dogs etc. they hope to have a spot soon

Cindy hope dh finds something soon

Marjorie

Another 7.6 miles for me this morning.  I'm currently doing some laundry and making brownies for a super bowl party at my sister's house this afternoon.  They are big Seattle fans.  I'm not a fan of either team playing today so will be rooting for reasonably entertaining commercials.

Marjorie, seems like it could take a while if the puppy pool has to find a new place and set up new facilities.

GinnyB, don't jinx yourself talking about good health!  We'll pretend we didn't hear you.  But you are lucky.

Lisa, it's good to be more mindful of what we eat.  So easy not to, though... (says the person who sometimes has cereal for dinner.  And not the healthy kind).

Cindy, sounds like your DH is doing all right things to put himself in the right place at the right time for any job opportunities that come up.

Camille, it would be a shame if the hikers are try;ing to get trail races banned just as a matter of principle.  As a general rule, the trail racing community (at least out here) is pretty careful to be good stewards of the trails that they use.

Karen, hope your house dis-assembly projects are coming along.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LC Runs

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.  Mine has been pretty relaxing.  Made myself run outside, 5 miles yesterday, 4 this morning - cold and windy, but a nice break from the TM.  The BF and I went bowling and to a movie this afternoon.  Now, I'm comfy and cozy on the couch while watching a marathon of 'Breaking Bad'  

Hi Camille - no Super Bowl watching here lol

Carol - ugh, feel better soon,  I had that crud a few weeks ago and it was miserable.  Just a nasty cold, but I still have a bit of a cough.  I am 99 percent sure I'm running the Irish Double this year, I have the reg form, just have to fill it out and mail it in!

Majorie - awww, hope the doggy's get back to the pool soon.  My dog hates the water, it is hysterical whenever we've taken him to the beach.  The first time, he ran right in and then it was like, "uhhhh, what is this???"

Karen - so excited for you and the move!!

Gatsby - glad you are feeling a bit better.   Nice 8!

Cindy - nice run!  I love the 10 mile distance

Lisa - glad you had fun yesterday!

Ginny - this snow stuff needs to go away.  We seem to be missing (just barely) this latest round .