Womens Running

Working Women Wednesday (Over 40) (Read 23 times)

Working out, at work, house work... we do it all!

aSusan-wtg on getting out. the streets are flooded in many places here so tm again for me!

Lisa-so nice of you to cheer up your friend!

Ginny-that's a neat idea...you could come here and run part of the Fat Ass thing on the 9th. I have stuff going on this weekend and next otherwise would try to come down and run it with you. I've told non-runners that running is sort of like gambling for us...we "bust" a lot but are always looking for that next "jackpot" run. When we hit it...wow!

Tessa-slowness allowed... I tend to applaud it even.

Marjorie-great idea for your run! it's super foggy here too with the melting.

Damaris-great RR!!  Honestly the feeling of accomplishment that I've felt about races where I really really wanted to just melt into the crowd lining the road (doesn't happen on trails... there is no crowd and the trees don't offer any shortcuts) is more than what I feel in a well run race.  Well, its a different accomplishment feel anyway. Do Nothing Fatal of course applies. We are smarter than our egos. (some would argue that)

Amy-yes, that is something I think about and shared the story with my dds..

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/news/Red-Wings-fan-dies-after-fall/-/4714498/18312342/-/7fwsqi/-/index.html

Carolyn-Here is your award. LOL Please don't pass it off to me.  I did laugh at your comment.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Tuesday coach and I ran together for a fast 25 minutes, then I did 20 more alone on the track. When I got home I did 50 minutes of the cardio DVD. Maybe I’m imagining it, but the last 15 minutes of my run today my stride opened up and the legs stretched out. I have been working on the fast marching at home to get my knees up. Maybe legs are getting stronger?

Today should be a track run.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

I was thinking of going out for a run this morning because it is 62 degrees!  However, along with that high temp (for this time of year) are 45 mile per hour wind gusts, so I am going to pass, besides the fact that I ran yesterday and I don't do well 2 days in a row anymore.  65 today, 28 tomorrow!  Sheesh, this weather..............no wonder everyone is sick.

Lisa...wish you could come down to run too, it would be fun.  Planning on doing it sometime this weekend, I hope the weather permits, if not, I will do the TM and just have DH take my pic at one of the landmarks she would have recognized.

Judy.....the only time my stride opens up any is when I am trying to do speed work, otherwise I am a shuffler.  Good going!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have kickboxing and some light running if my allergy shot goes well.

Lisa, yes, we do it all!  Morning!

judyruns, with those cardio DVDs I am sure the legs are getting stronger.  Great job!

Ginny, ouch at the winds.  But I would love to have that weather.  Enjoy your run wherever you decide to do it.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

6 on tm.

Lisa

LC Runs

Hi Ladies, happy Wednesday Smile

4 on TM this morning, had to cut it short because of water in the basement, ugh Angry  All this rain caused the water to seep in one of the basement windows, it has happened before but you tend to just hope these things don't repeat themselves ha ha.  Anyhow, BF ran out and got a pump to soak up the excess water and we were able to get the basement mostly dry.  Really need to re-do the driveway and sidewalk because our house is downhill from the drive and water just sets there.  I just don't want to spend the $$ but it's gonna have to get done.

Hi Lisa, Ginny, Judy, Damaris...Big grin

mommymac

My own award! Thank you Lisa. I'll try not to deserve it this week.

So sad about the accident at the stadium; how did we survive our youth?

I'm in running clothes so I must be going out this morning; I'll wait for rush hour to pass and the fog to lift.

Damaris - did you post RR in forum?

Hi Judy!

Take care in this changeable weather.

Carolyn

annieSusan

Morning!

i was going to meet friends for breakfast, but the snow is coming down hard and there is a layer of slick ice underneath due to yesterday's rain, so we rescheduled since one of them would have had to drive aways. I am going to put on my Stabilicers, take my hiking poles and attempt  a walk to the nearest coffee shop. Let's see how far I get.

annieSusan

camille2

Good morning!  I wrote a post, got interrupted for a couple hours and then accidently closed the dang window without posting it.  Entirely my fault…

It’s warm,  windy, and raining here with a tornado watch-in January!  Mother Nature is very confused. Add on-they are saying tornado warning now-to be here in 45 min. Need to get things together.  MOdified-they've cleared  my county but it hit an adjoining county and they've closed I-75 due to overturned cars.

Lisa, it is so sad about the young man.  How freaky!

Carolyn, that trophy belongs on a shelf!  No need to pass it on-I’ve had my share.

AnnieSusan, good for you for seizing the day!

KnitQueen, it was nice of you to send flowers to your friend.  How’s the weight loss coming?  I may have missed it.

Demaris, nice report!  I liked the little sign for Karnel.  Impressive you did that after Disney-I’m content with one star myself.   : )

Tessa, I didn't see your report.  Am I just blind?  Thought I read everything.

Marjorie and Ginny, I really like your ideas of running where you had Flat Stanley.  Fitting way to honor her.

Ginny, congrats on expected twins!  My twin bros always had a lot of fun!

Tessa, you’re allowed a slow day.  Grin at her hubby and the keys-would be something I’d do.

Laura,  basement water=major bummer.

Weigh in-134.  I’m down 2 : ).  This challenge kept me from eating a cinnamon roll or at Waffle House yesterday while I killed time. The traffic wasn’t bad so I got there obscenely early.

Good news and bad news after the appt.  Good news-I can run today.  Bad news-he didn’t inject my foot-suggested surgery instead.  I tried the podiatrist my mom saw for toenail care…. he’s close to her which makes life simpler. At her appt a few weeks ago, I asked him about injections and he said he does them.   I’ve made an appt with an ortho who specializes in foot care for a second opinion.  Honestly, the podiatrists still haven’t done a test to prove the intermittent pain is a neuroma-just the history.  Most weeks, I don’t think I need surgery, then I  have a bad flare….  Right now, it isn’t that bad.  Decisions, decisions….

Anonymous Guest

Morning ladies,

I've been busy at work the last few days - have had a chance to read the dailies when I get home at night, but too tired to post. I thought of wonderful, witty things to say to all of you though!

Damaris and Tessa, great race reports from both of you! I'll be running my event for Karnel this Sunday, a trail half in Pennsylvania. Looks like about a 1.5 hour drive, and I just thought Karnel would like the name (the Squirrelly Tail Twail Wun). Weather temp forecast is improving, now supposed to be in the 40s. I think colder might be better though, as this will be warm enough for everything to thaw and get muddy. I will enjoy the mud puddles though, thinking about how Karnel used to enjoy her runs in the rain, always so positive.

So after going into work late on Monday (icy roads), it was 70 and sunny here yesterday afternoon. I ran Monday's 5 on the TM while waiting for the roads to thaw, and then ran yesterday's 7.4 outside in shorts! Monday was easy pace, so boring on the TM. Yesterday was 5x1000 (run between 6:56 and 7:06 pace) with 400 recoveries. Man, that was hard.

Lisa, what a tragic thing to happen to someone so young. I think back to how many stupid things I've done over the years and I guess I should feel lucky to be alive. Congrats to Kaite and her team on the competition!!

Ginny, great idea on your run for Karnel.

Laura, ugh - that sucks on the basement!

Carolyn, hope you get out there before the winds and rain hit. I don't think the east coast is supposed to get hit with bad weather until this evening though.

Susan, hope you make it to coffee!!

Back to work, have a read ahead packet to finish up and get out to the Board this afternoon for our upcoming meeting in Arizona.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Did 10.3  Humidnthis am with the dew points in the mid 60s.  Just weird  Was 70 degrees out and may get 80 today.

Carolyn have a safe run

Karen I know the weather is nuts.  News this am was showing people running in Chicago yesterday in shorts and one guy without a shirt on then comparing it to how cold they were this time last year.

Judy I'm sure your legs are very strong!

Ginny hope your day is good.

Laura yuck on the leak.

Damaris hope the alergy shot is okay today.

Camille I'd want a lot of opinions before surgery!

Lisa nice TM run

Anniesusan good for you taking advantage of the warmer temps yesterday  Today looks like it will be bad storms for you!

Marjorie

mommymac

I got seven in today but not before rush hour was over or the fog lifted. Had some close calls even in my "hunter orange don't shoot me" shirt.

Camille - I hear you on the surgery vs. no surgery question. I think we've all had to make those decisions.

Laura - Bumber but you should take care of the water problem; those problems come back to haunt you when you want to sell your home. Water can cause lasting issues and damage. And smells!

Storms moving in later - should get the dog out for his walk. Or klaw, which is code for walk when we don't want doggie to hear the word!

Careful in these winds -

Carolyn

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I ran 8 miles this morning - my schedule called for 2 x 2 miles at an 8:45 pace, with a 2 mile WU, 1 mile recover, and 1 mile cool down. I didn't pace the first set properly, so the second set was tough - I was white knuckling it that last fast mile. I had this internal dialogue going:

"Man, do I feel like crap."

"Hang in there. You only have to feel like crap for a little while longer."

"I feel like I'm going to throw up."

"You're not going to throw up."

"Seriously, I think I might throw up."

"You never throw up from running. Stop being such a baby."

I was proud of myself for hanging on. I had to laugh, though - I ran into a friend (also a runner) when I had just finished up, and she took one look at me and joked "Isn't running FUN? You look like you had lots of fun today!"

Lisa - so sad about the young man. The older I get, the more I worry about these random kinds of things.

Ginny and Marjorie - it is warm and stormy here too, and they are calling for severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes this afternoon.

Camille - sorry the foot is acting up. I think it's always a good idea to get a second opinion when surgery is involved.

Laura - ugh, water is such a pain in the neck to deal with.

Carolyn - hope you get your run in.

AnnieSusan - be careful on the ice!

Damaris - I have to take DS2 for his allergy shot today too!

Karen - love the race name. You have turned into one speedy, speedy girl!

Tessa and Damaris - I need to go back and read your RRs. I love hearing about others' races.

Off to do some work. I need to do some writing, and this is the first day that I've had a decent block of time. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Anonymous Guest

camille, surgery is a tough decision to make. Definitely get a second opinion!

Nice runs Marjorie and Carolyn. Carolyn, laughing at "klaw". We started referring to it as going for a W, now we can't even say that. Or leash, or outside. Dang dogs are smart!

Cindy, I had almost that exact same conversation in my head last night! Then DH and I had a conversation on whether or not we thought the neighbors would stop to check if I was okay if I was throwing up on the side of the road. I also distract myself with math and percentages during hard workouts - "I'm 25% through this one, 1/3, half way...", "when I finish this one I'll be over half done with them", etc. All this crap better make me faster, because it's a lot more work than just getting out and running easy like I was last year!

Question for the group: has anyone read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell? I'm almost done with it, and I liked it overall, although some of it was a little frustrating (reading the post-apocalyptic chapter and having to slow my reading way down sometimes to almost sound out what they were saying). But how in the heck did they make a movie out of this? Seriously, how do you take what is basically a bunch of short stories through time with a very tenuous connection running through and make a two-hour movie that makes sense to the viewer?

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, so sad about the young man. We all did very stupid things at times when we were young, I'm sure, but that's no comfort to his family.

Camille, I posted the race report as a separate thread because it was so long (6 pages in Word). Ugh on the foot issues. And tornadoes? Yikes!

Karen, I have not read Cloud Atlas, might do so, but I'm definitely the wrong person to ask "how would they make a movie of that?" because I am not a movie person.

Ginny and Judy, 62, it's warmer in Ohio than it is in California? In January? Something is very wrong here.

Cindy, throwing up by the side of the road tends to irritate the lawn owner. Worse than dogs doing their business on the lawn.

Laura, sorry about the leak in the basement. Not sure how one deals with that (basements being few and far between in this part of the country) but it sounds miserable.

Susan/Anniesombra, good luck getting to the coffee shop. You will have earned not only the coffee but a scone!

Marjorie, that weather sounds really nasty, and if it's hot and humid in January, what on earth will it be like in July?

Carolyn, good call wearing bright colours in the fog. Do you have a reflective orange vest as well? Even if people mistake you for a highway worker or someone collecting shopping carts in the supermarket parking lot, that's better than being run over.

Damaris, good luck with the kickboxing. Pretend it's an opposing attorney...*grin*

4.25 today, got back a bit later than I wanted, scrambled to get showered and out the door, got to the bus stop just in time for the 5:36...and the 5:36 did not show up. When the 5:51 arrived it was packed. So I stood all the way in. They need treadmills on the bus so we could get some movement in!

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone.

Tessa