Womens Running

Weekend wonders (over 40) (Read 20 times)

ginnyb

Raining here this morning, but thankful it is not snow!  I should be able to run outside tomorrow!  It has been so long!  Going to feel weird.

Tessa.....I am not getting travel or lodging...from the list given of races and events NYCM is the only one where travel and lodging is NOT provided by TNT...figures doesn't it?  We will be staying with our nephew, but have to get there, so not saving a lot in that respect.

Yes, I joined Planet Fitness, so have access to the TM.  I know I have to start working on hills.  Plus hoping to get some runs in with Lisa over the next months.

GD is in a basketball tournament all weekend and I have a luncheon today with the ladies of the neighborhood, looking forward to both.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Happy pi day.

Hair  cut then run. It was raining so I'm waiting until after the hair cut to run

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ran 3.14 for pi day. Rain held off so that is good. But massive chafing on the right thigh. Not amused by that.

Marjorie

That's right... it's Pi Day!  Happy pi to all.  I ran 7.7 with DH and RC this morning, followed by coffee and a cinnamon roll to ensure no caloric deficits today.  Annual RC potluck is this afternoon so I'm baking brownies right now.  Jealous of you folks having rain... nothing but sun here.

GinnyB, NYCM hills are not bad (just the bridges, if I recall correctly) but hill workouts are always a good thing.  MTA: you were asking about training plans yesterday.  Hal Higdon plans are solid and come at a variety of levels.  You won't win the race using Hal Higdon but most people find it gets them to the starting line uninjured and to finish line in one piece.  http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

Marjorie, odd that you had chaffing on your pi run considering how much farther you usually run.  New shorts?

Camille, I googled GA death race.  68 miles, 37,000 elevation change... Wow, that would be quite a workout.

Also MTA: Karen, safe travels to Texas!  Tessa, have fun at the LA marathon this weekend.

Hello to everyone else!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

camille2

Happy weekend!  I need to run 9 this weekend, but it's too foggy to run the roads here today so it'll have to be tomorrow.  I did an easy run yesterday and will probably jog in place during the news tonight just to burn a few calories.

Ouch on the chafing, Marjorie!  Different shorts?

Tessa, have a great marathon!  I hope it's not too hot.

Ginny, I didn't get extra shoelaces or insoles with my Hoka's. I was just thinking a pair of cheap Walmart foam insoles.  I use them in bedroom slippers for extra cushioning for my neuroma.  I'm surprised TNT doesn't cover expenses for travel, but it is a lower price than usual and I guess that's the reason.

Karen and Demaris, I hope your migraines go away.  Good luck with the drive, Karen.

Lisa, have a good long run tomorrow.

Update on the GA Death Race.  Remember the Forest Watch group that was against the trails being used for races?  They seemed to have had an impact. We've had very light rain or mist all week and on Tuesday, the USFS made the race reverse the course for this morning's start (due to FW, the race had to submit an emergency rain plan). The usual finish became the start and runners needed to be bused to the start which had to be 2 hours later. People with rooms at Amicalola for the end (old finish, now start) have to drive back here after they finish. Aide stations had to change, pacers go to different places, etc.  My friend who volunteers emailed me about the problem and said it was "chaos," though I think they were frantically getting it worked out. This course run this way starts on gravel roads and lets people spread out before hitting the single track.  He told me to check the Facebook page and I thought the runners were taking it in stride.  It's a good thing it's trail runners and not road runners. : )  I think trail runners may need to become more politically active.  After tall his,  the fog is so thick today they won't even be able to enjoy the views.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Ran 6.15 with hubby this morning before it was 80F.  Phew!

Ginny, yay for running tomorrow.

Marjorie, nice job on the Pi Run.

Gatsby, thank you.  Now I want pie.  BTW, I switched to the first HM for SF.  The flight leaves at 2pm and I want to train for the November race so I chickened out and switch, ha.

Camille, funny you said that, as I woke up with a migraine today, blah.  Hope you get those 9 in.

Tessa, LOL.  My cats also love laces.  And my husband's Clarks.  Hershey bites them....while he has them on.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bikerchick1

Ginny - I would think they would supply a coach as well, but what do I know Sad    I will donate, just haven't done it yet!  So excited for you!  I have used SmartCoach, a coaching plan thru the Columbus Marathon that was interactive, and Higdon's (many times).  I usually end up using parts of HIgdon's, and others.  I have always like Higdon's, tho.

Marjorie - Boo on the chafing!  Hope that feels better soon.

Gatsby - Sounds like a fun day for you!

Camille - Are you training for a race?

Damarias - Can't imagine 80 in the morning!  Nice job getting it done!

Tessa - Good luck tomorrow...hope it is not too hot!

Ran a 10k St. Pat's race today.  Was fun!  Kind of hilly...was 20 sec's off a PR...but did come in 1st out of 5 in my AG...was shocked there were that many women in that AG.  The 5k had a few hundred runners, but 10k was less then 100.  We had a fun time tho.

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

It wasn't different shorts. Just happens sometimes. It will be fine. I knew it was there before shower so I could put diaper cream on ahead of time and not have water hit it directly.

Camille glad there is some impact on the race!

Marjorie

Ginny-Amen on no snow!!

Marjorie-love the pi day run!  not the chafing though!

Gatsby-have fun at your potluck!

Camille-that sounds like a mess on the race. What exactly is the reason for reversing route? Run buddy was to do LBL in Kentucky but that was routed to roads so instead she flew to AZ and ran Monument Valley 50k... awesome pics!

Carol-nice race!

Ran 4 last night in the Hokas.  Seemed okay fit-wise but I had to go even slower to keep heartrate down.  maybe the cushy-ness?  whatever.  I'll take slower if I don't have foot pain.  Long day of judging today again but at least this time dd was able to compete.  Came in 6th place so that was good for first tournament of the year.

Planning on seeing how long i can run tomorrow.  Will have to be pavement since I know trails will be slush/mud and just unstable.  The parks really don't want us on them when we're at this point of the year.  Wrecks them.

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out this morning for 9 miles in a chilly drizzle. I wound up having unexpected company from one of my RBs for half the run, and we saw two deer, so it was a run with pleasant surprises despite the lousy weather.

We had DS3's birthday party at the house this evening. Seven 8-year-old boys. It was pretty wild! But I have to say, the house was in pretty good shape at the end. It's hard for me to believe that my "baby" is 8.

Tessa - good luck tomorrow.

Karen - safe travels!

Marjorie - ouch on the chafing. I think I need to replace my bras - they're starting to chafe a bit.

Camille - what a pain that they reversed the race route. All that organization is difficult to change on the fly.

Gatsby - I just scarfed down some ice cream with chocolate syrup, plus I had a (small) piece of DS3's birthday cake, so definitely no calorie deficit for me.

Ginny - so excited for you that you're going to do NYC. Sorry the Hokas don't seem to work.

Damaris - nice run with DH. I may drag DS1 out with me tomorrow.

Carol - my St. Patty's 10k is next weekend. I'm looking forward to it - I haven't raced in quite a while.

Lisa - sorry you have to resort to roads tomorrow. It's pretty wet here too, even without the same level of snow melt you have. The baseball fields where DS2 and DS3 play are a mess.

Off to watch my alma mater (University of North Carolina) play in the conference championship, then to bed. Have a good rest of the weekend-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Getting moving but wanted to point this out to Tessa!

Tessa-when you come in for Des Plaines in October we will be in PRIME cider mill time!! Woohoo!  And Michigan has gotten heavily into the hard cider business as you can see here.  We can get out and explore on Sunday to try some of the cider and visit a cider mill... or 10.  The Bad Apple Ultra is the weekend after Des Plaines.  Timed event in an orchard.  And Scrumpy Skedaddle is 2 weekends before.

"Fall running out in the country is as good as it gets and Almar Orchards in Flushing is the real deal. This hard working Michigan family farm makes the award winning, organic, J.K.'s Scrumpy Hard Cider, the perfect post run remedy. Hard cider mavins travel from all over the world to come to visit the home of J.K's Scrumpy, a Pure Michigan treasure.  Besides a beautiful fall run through the orchards you’ll get a soon to be collector’s item finishers glass, fun and useful bottle opening finisher’s medal and the best hard or soft cider you’ve ever swilled.

After the race plan on sticking around for some fun at the orchard!  Hard cider tasting, take a walk around the orchard, playscapes for the kids, farm animals, live music and all you can eat pancake breakfast from Chris Cakes of MI.  If you have never been to a Chris Cake breakfast, you won't want to miss this! As seen on Food Network and Guinness Book of World Records - it's a pancake flippin' good time...for real!"

Lisa

Happy Sunday to all.  Heading out with DH soon for a short run.

And happy LA marathon day to Tessa!

Camille, yes, trail runners need to be proactive if they want to continue using the trails, e.g., community outreach before holding an event, organizing trail clean up and work days, making sure representatives attend park service meetings on trail planning and use, and of course, making sure the trails look pristine after the race.  Hopefully the runners there find a way to make it work so everyone is happy.

Damaris, I'm also doing the 1st half HM.  Maybe this will be the year we manage a meet-up?

Carol, nice AG award at your St. Pat's race!

Lisa, cider mills sounds fun and tasty.  Is there some type of doughnut made with cider?  Or am I making that up?

Cindy, congrats on surviving the birthday party yesterday.  I'm not a basketball fan but did go to Notre Dame so heard about the ACC championship game last night.  Probably luck of the Irish with St. Patrick's day coming up and all.

Okay, time to get off the couch and move.  Ate too much at the potluck last night, of course...

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

ginnyb

5 miles . I opted for the TM again because I was awake so early and it was so dark.  Still afraid of falling I guess.  It was a good run though.  Question....if I do an18 week marathon plan I should start June 28.  I should have run a half by then, spool do I still start a plan on day 1 of week one?  I am OCT about running plans,  I do exactly what they tell me to do! LOL.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Making St. Pat treats. Just made homemade Andes mints. They are so cute. I used my 4 leaf clover mold. Chocolate layer, mint layer (creme de menth) , chocolate layer. They are so cute!

chafe is better but not a ton. Hamstring grumpy from the hard intervals on Friday. Just 1.1 miles for me today. Pic of the process and final results:

Marjorie

camille2

It was a great morning here, in the 50's and a bit overcast, perfect for a run.   I drove to a park that has a one mile walking loop and did 4 then ran the easy trail we hiked a few weeks ago.  I also went to the gym and did core and arms since it may be my only chance this week.

Marjorie, those treats look great!  Nice intervals.

Cindy, nice miles and good to see you!

Laura, I hope  you're peeking in and are doing OK.

Docket, you'd mentioned you'd been feeling like you were getting a migraine.  I hope it's gone now.

Carol, congrats on being #1!  All your training is paying off.  I'm trying to get in shape to do a few half marathons this spring and summer.  I've doing a lot of hip exercises, so I'll see if that works.

Gatsby and Lisa, the USFS said the race  had to switch due to the rain, but while it was very misty/foggy, the prediction was for about  0.1"/day and that's about what we had.  I may be wrong, but I think they did it because of the Forest Watch group who wants to stop the trail races.   My hubby worked for Environmental Conservation and some decisions were political.   The trail I did was drier than when I hiked it 3 weeks ago and the trails they ran on weren't closed to other users. I'm concerned because the FW group has money and is organized. I think Gatsby is right and we need to work to garner support.  I don't think the race received any media coverage. In Alaska, some of the races get a fair amt. of coverage and a couple to the racers are widely admired.