Womens Running

Weak No More Weekend (Over 40 (Read 19 times)

Be strong!  Heading to gym to cross train/cardio.  Then packet pickup for the Chocolate 5k I'm doing tomorrow.  And yes, I will race it. But in my own no rush way so have no fear. LOL

Tessa-glad you are feeling less stress!

Camille-thanks for the codes. there have been times that I hoped noone mistook me for the early runner of the longer race but still seems odd that they got that wrong.

Margaret-so glad I don't have your stomach problems. I am not a picky eater and would have a tough time with it. Hope it's back to normal today. hope your return to running today is going well also. Whatever muscles are involved in doing clam shells apparently are very strong in me.  A couple of times I've had one of the PT's (not my usual one) walk by and suggest that I use a band then they realize that I have the black band on.  In a joking manner one referred to my ease in doing them with that band on as "freakish."  LOL  Using the red ankle cuffs for my monster and sideways walks too. I do like finally seeing saddle bags going away but I really do hate hamstring curls though. clearly my hammies are not as strong.

Sue-have fun camping! talk about a carb fest with what you made yesterday!

Damaris-glad you survived the trial.

Karen-enjoy the 8k ... you're probably done by now.  glad you got the schedule that works for you.

Judy-I love changing schedules.  routine is not what I enjoy.  I'm odd in that way though.

Lisa

Good morning!  Really quick check in since I need to hit the road to go visit a friend this weekend.  She recently had major cancer surgery and has had some ups and downs.  I'm going to spend the day helping however I can.  No running today, hopefully tomorrow.

Lisa, glad to see your knee is continuing to get stronger!

Have fun, weekend racers!

Be back later.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Morning, ladies!  I did kickboxing last night and my legs are tired.  More kickboxing tonight and maybe, just maybe, a run with hubby.

Lisa, enjoy the gym/cardio and good luck on the race tomorrow!

Gatsby, hope your friend is doing OK.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Margaret?

lisa stomach is good. Decided to wait until tomorrow

I finished Christmas shopping. Don't know what we did before internet. Although I did go get a few things. Other than maybe having to get a secret Santa thing I'm done

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Fun race this morning. I finished in 34:45, which is a PR since I've never raced an 8K before. I took off way too fast (1st mile in 6:35? 3 miles in 19:38? oops, that was 5K PR pace!). Last two miles a good bit slower, one girl passed me, but I held off the girl that I was running with earlier on. 6th chick, 2nd master. 2 mile warm up, and 1.25 mile cool down for about 8.25 for the day.

Lisa went to packet pickup! To do a race, not to volunteer at it! That makes me happy.

Gatsby, good for you helping your friend.

Hey D and Marjorie!

Have been running errands ever since the race (with about an hour break for facebook catching up on how everyone ran today) and dinner is in the crockpot. Think I'll relax with a book for awhile. I have cleaning to do, but it can wait.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Marjorie, bahahaha.

Karen, congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Had good lunch with friend. Doing her laundry while she's napping.

Lisa's good wishes must have been for Marjorie since my stomach is made of cast iron and nothing bothers it.

Speaking of which, sending more good wishes to Marjorie's stomach.

Damaris -- kickboxing too?  Marathons aren't enough?  Haha.

Karen, nice PR!  So what if it's a new distance. Still counts!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Marjorie-you know I thought something seemed off with my post. I'm sorry!

Karen-I'll be happy, ecstatic actually, if I have your 8k time for my 5k tomorrow.  Supposed to be rainy and windy. Just better not affect the chocolate fountain.

Getting together with ultra run buddies tonight who drove in for the race tomorrow.  Getting us some Buddy's Pizza. Yum!

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

13.6 this morning. I had to remind myself that it was harder because I raced yesterday, because I was pretty tired and some of it kinda sucked. Hopefully I'll be able to run 50 miles on Saturday.

Lisa, hope you had fun this morning!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LC Runs

Hi ladies!

Enjoying a nice quiet Sunday.  I had thought about getting some Xmas shopping done, but just have no motivation for it..supposed to be getting some severe weather later this afternoon but so far, nothing more than a little wind and rain.

Haven't posted in a few days...Friday 4 miles after work, Saturday, 6 miles then Fusion (cardio/weight) class.  This morning, 7 with a friend.

Lisa - how was the race?

Gatsby - sorry about your friend, hope you had a nice visit, I'm sure it means a lot to her.

Damaris - ohhh, kickboxing sounds like fun!

Marjorie - great about the Christmas shopping.  I really do not enjoy doing it, I never know what to buy or how to not overspend (I'm generally pretty frugal).  Every year, I want to simplify the process, but it never seems to work out that way.  Trying to get a sensible list together and just get it done.

Karen - great weekend running for you!

HI!  Had a great time camping at Bogue Chitto State Park near Franklinton, LA.  There were 17 adults, 4 kids and 8 dogs on four campsites.  We had a really good time.  Much warmer than last year, wore shorts in the day time and a sweat shirt at night.  One of the guys did the majority of the cooking--pretty yummy!  We hiked yesterday and then took a power nap before the midnight trail run.  The run is two 7 mile loops through the woods.  Last year we did the 14 miles and were the only ones who went out for the second loop.  This year we decided to just do the 7 miles.  Good call.  7 is fun, 14---well, it gets old.  Fairly hilly course.  Rained the entire race.  Glad to be home though and now I just need to wash everything.  DS2's birthday is Tuesday--the big 21!!  I am baking his favorite coconut cake to take back to school with him, so he was pretty happy to hear that.

Lisa--I hope you had a great race!

Catch up on personals later.....have a great weekend everyone!!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

4.1 miles. Kept it slow and didn't try to do too much.

Karen youd have have won first female at the OBX 8k with that time

Laura I've dine all our shopping for Christmas for years. I try to make sure everything is here ready to wrap by a Thanksgiving so we can mail it out the first weekend in Dec and avoid the rush. Some years are tough to come up with stuff. Luckily the nephews are old enough that gift cards are what they want versus toys ETC.

Lisa no worries. It happens.

I'm making popcorn.  Doggies are by the stove in eager anticipation. They love popcorn snd we always give them a little. The only people food they are allowed to have.

Marjorie

ajdx5

Hey ya Girls - poking my head in...

...So MrDel came blowing into town - by surprise - on Friday at 2pm - :shocker!:  lovely.   (hasn't been home in 6 months&hellipWink 
                            He has no idea how to care for Evie & my mom was too sick to come down as planned - so on Sat am, I woke up all 4 girls & took them with me to volunteer.  THe baby stayed with his Dad & the girls wanted to volunteer, so it was all good.  Had my bag packed - checked & rechecked - got uptown & discovered that despite my best efforts,I'd left my socks at home. ( I wore my flops in the car so I could get out of my running shoes as soon as I finished) :shocker!:  I cursed a blue streak & went off to see if any place had a spare pair  - 30 mins before race time!!  Lucked out & shirt vendor had a lone pair of socks sitting on a box of shirts - the lady said "I don't know if my husband wore those or not" I told her I didn't care & I would BUY them - she, being an angel, gave them to me.  :x  
                            I felt blessed & honestly, started the race at a 10:30 pace & smiled for 20 miles.  Spoke to people, passed people, took in some good music - it was not easy, but not miserable.  I had tummy issues for the last 8 miles, mild cramping & altho I had to fight the urge to throw up for the last 3 miles,I worked thru it.  Dunno why - I suspect it was too much sugar.I took a few sips of gatorade at each water stop along with water & a gel every 4 or 5 miles.  I never really hit a wall, so that was good, but I think the sugar carbs were what nauseated me.  So, I need to work on fueling.  Never had tummy issues before.
                            My pace slowed a lot at 20 miles.  I was just beaten by the constant hills & the tummy issues.  I still love running thru my city tho - love it.  :x
                            Tried to get in at 4:48, but the last 2 miles battered me.  Came in at 4:50:10 & that's an over 8 minute PR from 2 years ago, so I'll take it.  I've done a few ultras since that first one, but being on trail & more generous time limits are a boon.  My training was a bit spotty & while I hit the long runs, my pace was sloooow.
                            I feel great today & the fact that I've eaten everything but my children may be to thank for it.  :blush:

How do you fuel during long runs & races?  I need the carbs every 4 or so miles, but I need to find something with less sugar.
                            I also would like to get faster which I think will mean more dedicated training & some kind of speed work - and, more mileage. THe last 10k was really tough.

Here I am with my 2 running partners.  Nate was going for a PR and Abbey wanted company so I promised to stick with her.  Probably good since she kept me run/walking from one set of light poles to the next.  I'm pretty sure that I could have jogged the whole time since the walk breaks were all for her benefit.  I look like such a dork in this picture.  Funny.  And extremely short. 43:15 was our official time.  So the bar is set pretty low for improvement with the next one.  I was most certainly willing to have gone on longer. Knee felt pretty good the whole time but that original spot is still there.  Tonight feeling pretty good too. PT tomorrow so I'll see what they say but I'm ready to move to the running coaches and advice on shoes/forms, etc.

And the chocolate line was so long that we skipped it.  Went out to breakfast instead.

The group of local run buddies. I ended up letting Abby wear the Stomp the Grapes hat and I put on a pink "D" one. 10k-ers earned a medal.

Amy-Congrats on the great race despite cramping.  You can train the tummy on sugars but there are also other options I'm sure.

Lisa