Womens Running

FUNKY FRIDAY DIVAs! (Read 215 times)

monk717

outwest: I've never done an ultrasound where they told me I had to drink a ton of water and not pee. I think that would be torture! I don't know if maybe some practices do that for the first u/s when baby is way way small. For mine I've had transvaginal as opposed to the later ultrasounds with the wands on the belly. For the glucose test, its a test for gestational diabetes, something that can happen with all the added demands of pregnancy on the body. There are two different tests, the one-hour is a screening test and if that one comes out with added risk, you do the three-hour, which is the actual test. I did the one-hour twice with A. For P, I actually had a two-hour one. You drink this super sweet drink and they take your blood to see how your body processes it. You have blood drawn every hour for the longer tests to see how your body is reacting. You have to fast for the longer test so that its just the drink your body processes.

I'm happy to report I'm only mildly uncomfortable with my SI joint now! Hopefully another adjustment or two and I'll be back to normal!

athenaofamerica

OWR - We use the prong collar for walking, as per the trainer's suggestion. It seems to help. However, he gets so riled up when he sees other dogs that he is difficult to control. (Plus, he weighs about 60 lbs, so it's a workout in and of itself.) Gus is a boxer with American Bulldog so he's a "bully dog" but I know they can be trained, sweet, docile dogs. This has been a much bigger challenge than I ever expected!

San Francisco Marathon (Worth the Hurt™), June 16

Napa Valley Inline Marathon, July 14

outwestrunner

Athena - I wonder if the room you're training in upsets him or if he's just not socialized enough? I'd hate for you and DP to return him - you've posted so many great pictures on FB! It is possible he might just never be that social of a dog, and that's okay, too. We let people have different personalities.  Fay goes on patrol every time we go for a walk, and gets a little aggressive when we see other dogs approaching. I've been able to get her to calm down by having her sit and focus on the treat in my head, until the dogs pass us. It's taken a while, but she has improved.

MA runner girl

Outwest - The glucose test is to test for Gestational Diabetes, which affects something like 5% of all pregnancies. It is typically developed between weeks 24-28. There are 2 tests. First you go in for a 1 hour test (where you DON'T have to fast... wish I was told that correctly). In the 1 hour test you are given about 10 oz I think of this orange drink that is REALLY high in sugar, and then an hour later your blood is drawn to test your glucose levels. If it comes back below a certain level, all is well, if it comes back above, then you have to have a second, 3 hour test. I'm not sure of exactly how it goes but you have to fast for it and your blood is drawn before hand, then you drink the same type of juice, and I believe you have to get your blood drawn once after each hour to see if your levels are dropping sufficiently. Often times, women fail the first test and are fine on the second, but if you don't pass the second test then you are diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

MA runner girl

I was tooo slow! :P

Oh and Outwest - You definitely don't have to hold pee for 4 hours! LOL For my 2 ultrasounds I had to drink 8 oz of water an hour before and they let me pee after about 15 min of the ultrasound. My first one I had to go SO bad and couldn't wait, but my second was first thing in the morning, so I didn't already have all the water from the day in me and I had no problems.

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

outwestrunner

MA - I'm probably misremembering, but I swear Sassy had to drink a lot of water and couldn't go to the bathroom for a long time. It's quite possible I'm confusing everything because of my shock that they wouldn't let her go to the bathroom. That sounds like torture to me!

melrunner

Hi girls  Happy Friday!!!!! Loved this short week!!!

so the interview with the children's hospital went really well! I am being placed in the gastro unit and will volunteer every Tuesday 6-9. I just hope I interact with more children then adolescents. I had to get copies of my immunization, buy my volunteer shirt and next week I get flu shot Plus another mandatory orientation that you have to do if you'll be interacting with patients.

oh and dinner at inlaws yummy!! Indian style veggies and baked potato and grilled artichokes hearts!!!!

Ma when do you know the results?

Outwest love the popcorn gadget!

Monk I hope your SI is better.

taylor prayers for toe little nephew.

pumpkin sorry about the colonoscopy test. Where is vacation this time??

NC love your runs !!

melrunner

Athena sorry about the training issues w the dog!!

Lizo enjoy your company party.

blu go do laundry!! Wanna come to FL??

klmc happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!

hi Nai!!!

lizo_77

Athena: I totally go to a massage therapist! He specializes in sports massage which is wonderful. I went in last week and will be going in sometime this month again.... and again next month... Smile I'm so sorry about gus and his behavior at training! I hope the trainer is all calmed down... I wonder what his history is. How old is he?

Nai: way to work to get those workouts in!

blu: might as well enjoy the "extended deadline" at work! good luck doing laundry! we're laundry twins tonight!

monk: almost there! sorry about the SI joint flare up! hope the chiro helps a lot.

outwest: mmmm.. the sauna actually sounds good to me right now. I always get too hot in those, but these days... yup... so cold out! 5 degrees is freezing!

norcal: soo cool you have beautiful views and experience as you run!  hope the company dinner goes ok for you tonight! we have ours tonight too that I just learned isn't dinner but only appetizers.

rltw: glad you're feeling better!

lizo_77

mel: that's awesome that the interview went good and you're getting to volunteer so quickly after! good luck as you get started!

athenaofamerica

OWR: We've gotten good tips on how to help with his behavior while approaching other dogs, so DF and I plan to work on it! I think I was focused too much on making our walks about me getting a workout instead of him getting training, so I will shift my perspective as well. It doesn't have to be fast or get the HR up! He is fine with our two smaller dogs, in fact he and the pug mix play together almost every day and he is very gentle and plays to the little guy's level. There must be an issue with his past and larger dogs, because he doesn't act this way with smaller ones.

Lizo: He's about 11 months old! Still a puppy, but old enough to have had some kind of crazy history. Sports massage is the best thing ever!!

Mel: Great news about the volunteer shift! Sounds very rewarding!

San Francisco Marathon (Worth the Hurt™), June 16

Napa Valley Inline Marathon, July 14

outwestrunner

Athena  - I've had the same issue with Fay. I can't just zone out on the walks. I need to be focused on upcoming squirrels, loud trucks, dogs, etc. I think most dogs have issues with larger dogs, which is why little dogs are always freaking out. Fay ignores the little dogs, but causes a ruckus when it's a dog about her size or larger. Takes a lot of patience, but you'll get there!

TXAginMS

I havent had time to post here today but I just glanced through the thread and wanted to say

Athena: Do you an animal behaviorist in your area? A lot of  "trainers" us negative reinforcement for training dogs and if you have a dog who has a dog aggression issue (like my dog) this may not be the answer. A behaviorist is better trained and equipped to help you find out the triggers and to assist you in helping your dog to cope with these issues in a positive manner. They are also better equipped to help train you as the dog owner because a lot of behavior from your dog stems from your own reaction to a situation. I would really look into a behaviorist rather than a trainer. Just my two cents from dealing with dog on dog aggression in my own home.

runswithrocky

Athena - how are you containing him?  was he on a leash?  our husky is an alpha male dog and it took a good year of work of dominating him (literally wrestling him to the floor and sitting on him and forcing him to submit to me and holding him down until his breath regulated) before he finally gave up his aggressive/dominant ways.  Any time he humps another dog I'm on him like white on rice.  He is 7 years old now and awesome.  We use a choke collar and I have to premtively pull on it whenever there is a squirrel, dog, whatever.  My little black dog does NOT respond to any of the above measures and acts like we just abused it (tail between legs, skittish) if we so much as look at it cross-eyed.  oy.  Our husky we got as a stray and also didn't know his background.  Sometimes it works out with training and patience, but sometimes it doesn't.  I hope you can work something out and if not, I hope you are at peace with whatever the outcome is.