Womens Running

Close out the Calendar Weekend (Over 40) (Read 15 times)

Out with 2014 and in with 2015.

Looking into 2015 racing calendar and this is what happens when you combine post race, in the midst of holiday magic, days off of work, and internet....

Tessa-I am going to sign up for Des Plaines before the 31st.  And yes, that is Illinois.  Scrapster has run on it often.  A pretty, non-technical trail that winds along a river.  I'd probably like more up/down but sounds like a nice one!  They also have a 50 mile event if you prefer that distance.  I'll stick with the marathon.  For any others.. there is a half as well.   I will sign up for Leona Divide mid-way through January.

Cindy-sorry to hear about the shins.

Raining out here.  Yuck. Not Christmassy at all.  I had wanted to hit a trail but with no bib or entry fee and no run buddy to spur me, I may hit the gym instead.  Need to start working on climbing muscles already for Leona Divide.

Brother-in-law and wife from Alabama will be driving in today for a couple of days.  Will be fun with a full house.

If anyone has their calendar "set" for 2015 please share... this is mine:

Leona Divide 50k April 18-California

North Country Marathon August 22-Michigan

Run Woodstock Marathon September 12-Michigan (tentative)

Des Plaines Trail Marathon October 17-Illinois

Lots of gaps!

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Morning! Trying to decide whether to do a quick bike ride this morning before Pilates at 11 and a run after. It may take one more cup of coffee to decide.

Sunny with highs in the 50s again here today. Not Christmas-y at all, but I'll take it!

My calendar is pretty sparse for 2015 with the move. So far I've got:

1/17 - Charleston Marathon

4/12 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

4/26 - Glass City Marathon (Toledo)

and probably

August - Leading Ladies (Tessa, are you still planning on this one?)

November - NYCM

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 8 miles tonight.  Groin is still a pain, in more ways than one, LOL.

My calendar for 2015, so far:

January 10-11 - Goofy Challenge (HM with hubby on the 10th, marathon on the 11th)

January 18 - Clearwater Half Marathon (Tentative)

February 1 - Surf City Half Marathon

February 15 - A1A Ft. Lauderdale Half Marathon

March 22 - Puerto Rico Half Marathon

April 12 - Paris Marathon

May 31 - RnR San Diego Marathon

July 26 - San Francisco Marathon

September 20 - RnR Montreal Half Marathon

November 15 - RnR Las Vegas Marathon

November 29 - Space Coast Marathon

All those HMs were supposed to be marathons but I promised my coach to train for Paris so I changed them.

Lisa, nice set of races.

Karen, I am also wanting to go back to NYCM due to this year, but we'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

No run for me, as I'm babying the shins. I'll have to figure out what to do for my 20 minutes of exercise - we're in the mountains of TN, and it's super-hilly, so I think I'll try to find somewhere flat to go for a walk.

Tessa - I can't figure out how I hurt my shins. My mileage has been low and my pace relaxed the last week or so. The only thing I can figure is that I aggravated them on my Christmas day walk. My MIL lives on the side of a mountain, and her "driveway" is a long, very steep road. I think walking back up it must have been what did it - my shins were a bit sore later that day, and them hurt quite a bit when I tried to run yesterday. Oh well, if I need to take a few days off, this is a good time for it - no races in the near future.

Lisa - sounds like a good day for the gym.

Karen - warm and not Christmassy here either, but I'll take it too!

Damaris - that's a full calendar! Paris, how cool.

I don't really have many races planned, other than a few that I run every year. A 10K in March, the Tar Heel 10-Miler in April, and my local half in December. I'll fill in as I go.

Hope everyone is having a great day. The boys got a bunch of Nerf weapons for Christmas, so they're outside running around and shooting each other. Someone will come in crying soon, I feel certain.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Docket_Rocket

He better take me to Paris this time.  Last year I DNSd because he just started a new job and couldn't get the time off.  It's payback time.  St. Louis the same day would be my backup.  But damn, it's Paris!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Rest day. Took down the Christmas stuff. Still need to pack the ornaments but they are up by the container. Waiting on the dryer since the Christmas towels are in there and they get packed in the same big tote. Tree and outside stuff all put away

I'm not happy but not sure what to do. My dad did not send anything to my brothers kids. Nor did he tell twin that he wasn't sending anything and it is hard on the kids as they don't get why their grandfather has changed so much. Now this. They spent a ton on each other ( I inow what my dad bought her. Very expensive) but couldn't even just send a card?  Sigh. Twin and SIL are still processing and trying to explain to the youngest.  Heck he could have made them stuff with all his wood working stuff!

Lisa no races for me. I get to spectate and cheer on Tessa and Karen for Charleston in a few weeks

Cindy not those shins again!

D impressive list!

Marjorie

Hello!  I had a busy but fun Christmas with all of my siblings and their kids in town. One more big family party tomorrow and then things will quiet down.  Ran 15 today to burn off a small amount of the immense caloric intake from the past week.  But what enjoyable calories they were.

I like seeing everyone's races.  What about adding a racing sticky to the forum where people can keep their race calendars and we can see who's doing what each weekend?  Here are mine so far.  Still figuring out what to do in the spring.

1/11 - Crystal Springs Trail Run 22 miler (Woodside CA)

2/21 - Montara Mountain Trail Run 20 miler (Pacifica CA)

5/17 - Bay to Breakers 12K (San Francisco, CA)

7/26 - San Francisco HM

8/23 - Santa Rosa Marathon

11/14 - Thunder Road Marathon (Charlotte, NC)

12/6 - California International Marathon (Sacramento, CA)

Lisa, did you make it to the gym or brave the elements for a run?

Karen, highs in the 50s is our typical Christmas weather.  Not sure why you don't think it's Christmas-y?  

Damaris, I like St. Louis just fine but it's not Paris.  Just sayin'

Cindy, sorry your shins are acting up.  Is it time to replace your shoes?  Sometimes that can cause weird aches and pains.

Marjorie, that's frustrating about your dad.  Not sure there's anything you can do about it if he's choosing to act like an ass.

Hello to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Right?  Thought so!

Are we making this third time the chance to meet at SF, Gatsby???

Marjorie, sorry about your dad and the gifts.  Grrr.

I might take an RD today.  The pain in my groin has lessened like 90% than what it was.  I think trying to run tomorrow (my LR) and just resting today might be the best.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Did end up running 6.5 trails this morning.

Nice race schedules!  Paris?!? Wow!!

Lisa

camille2

Hi everyone!  It sounds like people had a nice Christmas, which  is great!

Lisa, I loved your attitude about Christmas  It's what I strive for, but don't always achieve.

Cindy, I'll bet it was the steep driveway that got your shins.  My calves used to kill me when I started doing steep hills several years ago.  Maybe a few days off will take care of it.  BTW, you have such cute boys!

Marjorie, do you decorate for New Years or other holidays?

Karen, that is a sparse calendar for you. I'm sure you'll be filling it in though It was very nice here today, too.

Demaris, what's going on with your groin?  Are you over the flu?

Marjorie, if it were me (and I know it's not so feel free to ignore), I'd tell your dad that he needs to order the kids something ASAP. He apparently needs a little reminding. I think it's better that something be delivered late than not at all. If he doesn't order something, you will have tried. Poor kids.

Gatsby, I see that you have Charlotte on your list. Are you working on your 50 states, too?

It's been a hectic few days here.  DD's been here for a week and SIL came last night so we had our small family Christmas today. It was a very nice day.  On Christmas day, we had a bro up for breakfast, stopped to see sis in hospital, took my mom a meal and had dinner with late hubby's family then went back to spend the night at my mom's. It made for a lot of driving.

I think I mentioned this so I'll give an update.  My sis arrested from arrhythmias (VT) a couple times earlier in the week and was transferred to Emory a couple days ago to have a defibrillator implanted.  The procedure went well, they watched her overnight and she went home this afternoon.  We're thankful and happy.

We walked couple of the short trails here this afternoon and both had waterfalls.

Cathy-so glad to hear your sis was able to go home.  scary!  the SIL/BIL who are here are the ones from AL that you met.  2 sons came too.  I had texted my dh when he found that part out that "as long as there isn't an RV and a dog name Snots involved we'll be good."  They have a busy day planned with other friends then will be back.

So bummed.  I lost a pair of good gloves on the trail yesterday.  So of course I'm heading out to retrace footsteps.  Later today dd's and I are doing some shopping.

If anyone sees good deals on winter run gloves please let me know. They are crazy expensive.

Lisa

Camille, glad to hear that your sister is doing better.   The NC marathon is a meet up with another women's running group here on RA (Ladies Locker Room aka LLR).  My DH and I are contemplating 7 continents but not 50 states.

Lisa, hoping some kind soul found your gloves and left them somewhere for you to find them today.

Damaris, maybe this will be the year we actually get together in SF!

Off for a short run with my DH in a few minutes.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

7.5 really-tired-why-am-I-doing-this? trail miles but no gloves.

one girl's glove

one sock monkey mitten

one boy's glove with something pink on it

one pair of glasses

and one empty camera case... but alas, no running gloves.

And a very odd "snow" at one point that made a hissing sound since it was like small Styrofoam pellets vs snowflakes.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

12.3 for me.

Camille thanks. I don't think he will order anything. My twin and I just don't recognize him anymore. So drastically different than our father. We don't get it. He is making some bad choices. We know one day my mom will kick his butt for what he has done. I don't decorate for the other holidays. I used too but haven't in years. Glad sister came home.

Lisa sorry on the gloves. I have not seen any sales on gloves yet.

D is Dh running in Paris too?  Do they have a half for him to run?

Gatsby yes. He is acting like an ass. He doesn't see how badly he is alienating the kids. They know it isn't about gifts. They just see how bizarre he is now. Not the grandfather they knew.

Marjorie

Hi and belated Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate!

Nothing much new here... quiet break - not much drama.  Both kids are home - well DS never left since he's living at home while going to college.  DO (offspring) is back from grad school, which is nice.  We've done lots of baking (actually, I got most of the cookies baked before ze arrived).  Ze has been working mainly on making chocolate truffles of various types and candied citrus peel (which needs to be coated in chocolate).  We did bake pignoli cookies for my mom but didn't get to the stollen and I don't think we will.  The good thing is that ze has been much less frazzled this year about getting everything done and that has been a really nice change from past years.  Ze goes back on Tuesday and we'll head to visit my folks and celebrate my dad's 90th birthday.

Still working on the running/walking streak.  Up to 38.  Was thinking I might need to take some time off as my foot was acting up (this hasn't happened before) but I got new shoes (trying Asics Gel Cumulus 16 this time) and that seems to be helping.  I ran 3.8 miles on trails today and all was well!  Smile   And 0.2 miles short of 120 miles for this month (includes all the walks with DH plus running).  I know that isn't as much as most of you, but its a lot for me... well actually, I've been doing about that since June.  Hopefully, I can keep it up.

So everyone is posting their race schedules for 2015.  I have none... absolutely no plans at this time... may do the Resolution Run in Jan.  Its a 2.5 mile loop (or something like that) where you just bring food to share and run for 2, 3, or 4 hours.  But all depends on the weather.  I'd like to do the Trail HM in April.  Just need to think about my class schedule and figure out if I can do it.  I have a 20 mile backpacking trip in mid-May.  And that's about it.  I guess I need to do some planning. 

Lisa, Sorry you didn't find those gloves.  Yes, they are expensive.  Sad 

Karen, So did you bike this am?  Was 34 when I ran today... crazy weather for December.  And to think that last year at this time everything was covered in ice.

Damaris, That is quite the schedule!!!  Paris!  I'm envious! 

Cindy, Oh I remember those days of nerf gun wars.    Hope no one got hurt.  Maybe take a couple of days off to let the shins heal.  Do you have compression socks?  They seem to help when mine give me problems.

Marjorie, I'm so sorry about the situation with your dad.  Change is hard on the kids.  Yes, perhaps a heart-to-heart talk would help?  (or maybe not - in my family, it would just cause problems but that's my family).   Perhaps the better thing is to make sure to give the twins some extra attention... if you can't be there, maybe tape some stories for them (well depending on ages) or take them somewhere.  Just let them know that they are loved by all of you and that you don't understand the differences in their granddad either, but you're sure he loves them.  Nothing much you can do to change your dad.  I'd focus on the twins.  Really hard situation for all.

Camille, so glad your sister is doing much better.  Hope after a hectic few days you get to relax!

Going to post this now and edit later.. for more personals later... time to get the table set for dinner.