Womens Running

GatsbyBird's Antarctica Trip Report (Read 17 times)

Cross-posted from the LLR user group, for my friends here in the over-40s group and anyone who's interested in the craziness I got up to during the past two weeks.  It's so hard to capture this trip in words or even photos. I apologize in advance for the length of this report and for using so many superlatives, which are still somehow inadequate to describe this experience. But here's my best shot.

DH and I returned yesterday from our Antarctica adventure. Yes, running a marathon was the catalyst for this trip when we signed up for it four years ago, but the experience was about so much more than running. Antarctica is an unspoiled, wild, beautiful, frozen place full of amazing wildlife. We kayaked among penguins, humpback whales, seals, and seabirds. We had excursions on shore -- both the continent itself and some of the surrounding islands -- where we visited colonies of penguins who are completely fearless, curious and friendly to humans. After all, since we aren't leopard seals, they don't see us as predators but only goofy, uncoordinated, giant penguins in red parkas. We hiked up snowy hillsides to marvel at the even higher peaks and glaciers surrounding us, and then tobogganed back down to shore using our rear ends as sleds. We cruised in zodiacs among icebergs, towering cliffs of ice and snow, and curious seals and humpback whales. To get even more "immersed" in the experience, a few crazy souls (my DH included) did a polar plunge, dodging penguins and floating chunks of ice to dash from shore into the sea wearing nothing but swim trunks.

We had the privilege of traveling with one of my RC friends who took a job with One Ocean Expeditions last fall (purely a coincidence that she was there, and on our ship). There were actually two ships of runners and supporters for a total of 200 people. Around 3/4 of the runners signed up for the marathon (many of whom changed to the HM that day due to the conditions) and 1/4 signed up for the half. The One Ocean folks ran the ships and all of the excursions except the marathon, which was handled by Marathon Tours. One Ocean was a phenomenal team -- they got us out and about safely, shared their incredible knowledge of the wildlife, the environment and Antarctica, and made the trip truly special. And yes, we ran a marathon. On March 9th, everyone on our ship went ashore on King George's Island for the 15th running of the Antarctica Marathon (the second ship did the marathon the next day). The course was two separate out-and-back legs that met in a central point, and we did that "loop" a total of three times. The route was a dirt track between the research stations on the island (Uruguay, Chile, Russia, China), with conditions on the course varying between ankle deep mud, ice, snow, loose gravel, and water crossings. And it was surprisingly hilly, especially the first leg. Temps at the start were a little over freezing, but with the 20 knot winds, it sure felt a lot colder. There was also driving rain and sleet at various points during the day. Safe to say it was the toughest run I've ever done, and it took me 6:34 to finish. Oh and here's my (non)fashion report: windstopper tights under fleece pants, compression shirt under an Icebreaker merino wool top under a windbreaker, two pairs of gloves, and a polarfleece buff and hat. On my feet, wool socks inside plastic bags in my Asics 2160 trail shoes.

My DH, Jim's journey to the finish was a little different. After doing two of the three loops for the race, Jim was on track to finish around 7:00, but the race director told him he might have to close the course early so Jim stopped. Turns out that the RD didn't close the course early, and Jim could have finished, all of which was very aggravating to my DH. Not one to mope about unfinished business, Jim decided to do the marathon the next day by running laps on the deck of the ship. He measured it out, and I counted down his laps. After 162 full laps and 139 half laps (while zodiacs were being loaded and people were on that side of the deck), he completed his Antarctica Marathon in 5:05. The One Ocean folks made him a finish line and awarded him an awesome jacket after he finished, and everyone came out to cheer him on. Really a unique and amazing thing. And the Marathon Tours RD gave Jim a finisher's certificate and will send him a medal!

Other amazing things about our trip: the first blind person to run a marathon in Antarctica was on our ship and ran with us. He kicked ass the entire trip, doing everything that the rest of the group did (climbing in and our of zodiacs, kayaking, hiking, running) with a guide that he had just met for the first time on this trip (who had never guided a blind person before, BTW) since his original guide had a knee injury. And a couple from Canada decided to get married on this trip so the captain performed there wedding ceremony on the ship's bow.

I could go on and on but this is probably more than enough to show you how much I loved this trip. There will be lots of pictures to come, once we get them organized and edited (unless anyone really wants to see 600 penguin photos?). For now, here's me finishing the race. Thanks for reading!

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv97%3B%3Enu%3D3237%3E9%3C%3A%3E847%3EWSNRCG%3D369934835833%3Anu0mrj

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bikerchick1

Gatsby - WOW...I am speechless...what an awesome experience.

That really is too amazing for words!  So glad you had the opportunity!

camille2

I've been anxiously awaiting your report!  I love hearing about adventures.  Congrats on finishing that marathon and congrats to your hubby on doing a marathon plus a lot of the first one !

I, for one, would love to see a few penquin pics.   I've only seen the smallest ones, fairy penquins, I think. How many species did you see?

Anonymous Guest

How amazingly cool! I too have been waiting to hear about your trip. Congrats on the marathon - that sounds brutal! And wow to DH and his own finish.

The other night the movie Mr. Popper's Penguins with Jim Carrey came on, and I thought of you guys...

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Great adventure and report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Gatsby - that is awesome!!  Great job to you and your DH!!

Arimathea

Tessa

Gatsby, wow! Great report. Sorry your DH got given wrong information.

Leopard seals eat penguins? Can't the penguins retreat to higher ground? I think I remember reading they can't fly, but surely seals can't go that far from the water?

Um...on the captain marrying the couple...they may want to check their legal status. And possibly visit the registry office to do it again. I distinctly remember one book where the boat featured a big sign saying:

"Marriages Performed by the Captain are Valid Only for the Duration of the Voyage."

runlikeagirl18

Wow, Gatsby, that's really cool. Can't wait to see more of the pics.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Congratulations!!!  Amazing experience for you and dh!! can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

A truly amazing adventure. How cool to run a marathon there too

Marjorie

Thanks everyone!

Leopard seals eat penguins? Can't the penguins retreat to higher ground? I think I remember reading they can't fly, but surely seals can't go that far from the water?

Um...on the captain marrying the couple...they may want to check their legal status. And possibly visit the registry office to do it again. I distinctly remember one book where the boat featured a big sign saying:

"Marriages Performed by the Captain are Valid Only for the Duration of the Voyage."

Yes, the leopard seals wait for the penguins to go in the water to eat, and then pounce.   Leopard seals are scary and mean and over 9 feet long.  Nature is red in tooth and claw, or something like that, right?

Haha, the married couple does plan to have a proper ceremony and get a real marriage license.

Camille, we saw three kinds of penguins, all were around a foot-and-a-half tall.   I love penguins.  It's impossible to be in a bad mood when you see a penguin walk, run, or slide on his tummy in the snow.  First, gentoo penguins:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv838%3B%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3A%3B%3B%3D938%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A4949%3B5249ot1lsi

Also chinstrap penguins:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3B%3A6%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3A%3B%3B%3D938%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A484787249ot1lsi

And a few adelie penguins:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A785%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3A%3B%3B%3D938%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A495%3A65249ot1lsi

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR