Womens Running

Run Through Wednesday (Over 40) (Read 16 times)

Since we do it again next week we might as well consider this a "run through" and run through it. :-)

Went to the women of tomorrow (<link) kick off last night.  So inspirational!  Mentoring program that started in Miami and came to detroit 3 years ago. Will be coming to Philadelphia and then Charlotte.  I highly recommend involvement.  1 hour, 1 time a month.  Same group of girls all through high school (add as the years go on with younger ones).  At risk girls who are identified as being reachable.  Within 50% graduation rate schools the program average is 92% in Miami and I think last night they said in Detroit the rate was 95%.   It's mainly just showing up, coming in with expectations that we would have for our own kids for behavior, etc, and then exposing them to what we do, college, what is out there.  Basically being a role model and professional presence.  I really didn't think we had any impact last year but the end of year comments from the girls told us otherwise.  Just listening.  What killed me was the time they all talked about how nice it would be to just sit down to dinner together.  They never do that apparently.  1 girl out of the 20 some said that she had dinner with her family from time to time.  1.  Blew me away. They didn't really know WHAT they were missing out on but knew that they missed it.

Judy-good system!  funny on the epitaph too!  Do you keep a journal?  Jotting down what happened, who you saw, that sort of thing but also ideas for things you would like to try, stories / anecdotes you remember, or just interesting throughout the day. Might lead to your great novel!

Ginny-Ouch on the abscess!  I've heard of a stitch in your side but...   Other option for photos.  Just PM one of us to post it for you.  Next time I see you I'll demonstrate.  Or we can set up time if you have Lync on your computer I can share my screen with you.  (LOVE Lync).  I couldn't do screen shots the pop up kept disappearing but maybe someone else can. That would be best.

Marjorie-thanks for pinning the instructions.  Not a fan of wavy sidewalks.  wavy beaches, rutted trails, but not wavy concrete.

Carol-boo to your virus.

Damaris-dd sent me pics of shopping at Publix where there are 2 escalators.  One for her and one for her grocery cart.  I then understood why surviving the store was a big deal.  50 degrees.  I would share if I could.

Sue-Girls weekend sounds fun.  Never really did one of those.

Camille-what was the distance!

Karen-my true inspiration for the thread title!  My PF actually went away after I did the Detroit Marathon (maybe there are healing qualities and you should come-LOL).  4:59 time.  Maybe that will do it for you.  Run a 4:59.  :-) Speed is what does me in. Relatively speaking of course on the speed part.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Tuesday run went fairly well. I’ve been overrunning lately   so the 35 minutes was more of an effort than usual. I did try a new cardio dvd that we bought at the library to fill out the hour but I think I prefer my older ones. The jury is still out. 

Today will be a track run and then cardio.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6-7 miles and weights tonight. I took my RD today for work.

Lisa, LOL. She must be in South Beach or Midtown. My oPublixes (I have two, yay!) do not have those.  Has she melted yet?  We are having nice weather. I mean 80F at 7am is unheard of.

Judy, enjoy your workouts.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Man, last night my foot was sore where the doctor did his stuff. But it feels good today, which means.....I'm going to run a few miles after work tonight! And the weather is awesome here this week. Lows in the mid to upper 50s, highs in the mid 70s, perfection.

Lisa, impressive post at 4:30 in the morning! The women of tomorrow thing sounds really cool. And I took my sister to a Target here that had the escalator with the separate one for the carts and she had to just stand there and watch it for awhile. We didn't buy enough to need a cart and she wanted to go back and buy more so she could use it.

Judy, nice workouts. Careful on the overdoing, you could end up injured and sad like me.

Morning D! Enjoy the run and weights tonight.

Okay, back to work. Just needed a quick break after the second of my coworkers came into my office in as many days dealing with fall meeting crap and ended with "I'm just going to start drinking heavily until I black out". This meeting is even worse than others, because we're doing a dinner for the boss for her retirement, and trying to keep the details a surprise, but she just has to be involved in every little thing. We have this giant spreadsheet for the entire meeting that shows who is doing what at any given time, down to who hands out the sign-in sheets on the left side of the room and who does it on the right for each meeting. Yesterday she started sending emails freaking out about a meeting starting at 7:30, and would someone be at registration at 7 so they can check in and get to the meeting. I replied "the giant spreadsheet says I will be at registration, so I will be at registration". I also almost added "STOP IT". We want it to go well for her since it is her last meeting, but she is driving us all a little crazy.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ran 10.3. No idea how my Garmin made it the whole way. When I was ready to leave this am it had not charged but instead completely drained on the charger. I hate when it does that. Monkeyed with it. Got it to turn back on and charged it for 30 min. Went to run. Decided to do same route as yesterday since I know where I turned around and where pertinent mile marks are. Beeped at me with low battery at 3.5. Figured it would conk out at any moment. Got to 5.15 and it was still going. Hmmm. Turned around certain it would turn off at any moment. Didn't give its last breath until mile 10.28. I was by the hotel so made it past where I had started plus a little. Oh and some of my miles were under marathon pace. Maybe mentally I was trying to beat my watch? Who knows. But, I made it.

Lisa as today I stuck to the bike lane when it was available. Parts of the route I had to do sidewalk but at least 7 of my miles was bike lane. Much better.

Karen glad lad the doc helped. Hope it is feeling better.

Marjorie

camille2

Karen, happy dance for you!!  That's great news.  Will you be able to take it easy in a race? Are you a Big Sister?

Lisa, that sounds like a great program!  I'm surprised by the lack of dinner together, too.  That seems basic family stuff.

Marjorie, great that your garmin held up. I've just started using mine again.  I had to figure it out again.  : )

Demaris, speaking of melting, I'm surprised you haven't melted yet!

The Tues night race was great!  I felt like a runner again for the first time since last Thanksgiving.  I did the Farm League (there's also  a Lightening and Munchkin) and last night, the distance was 6k.  It was cross country with mud, trees with fall colors, lots of hills including one really big one and a lot of single track. Lisa's type race.   I think I said they'd been run 20 years, but the first was in 1967, so it's quite a tradition here. I wish my GA town did something like this.

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, woo hoo that you can run both the October races and that the doctor says you should be able to get through this! Sorry that your foot is sore and that your boss is driving you crazy.

Fun doing the planning on the house. Could you maybe do a dual master suite so there would be two big rooms, one for working out and one for you two to use as the master bedroom? Or set it up so the workout room could be convertable into a studio granny flat (ie separate entrance and bathroom and kitchenette) which would make it more marketable later on?

Ginny, ugh on the stitch trying to get infected.

Lisa, that program sounds most worthwhile. And you never know how much impact you're going to have on someone's life. So sad that the kids don't eat dinner together -- especially if the parent (and it probably is a single parent) is working so much that she can't get home to eat dinner with her children. DS and I don't eat dinner together all that often any more either, but I used to try and make sure that we all sat down to dinner as many nights as possible.

Camille, yay on lifetime! Good going. And on Saturday I had 58,447 steps.

Marjorie, thanks for making picture instructions a sticky. I still have trouble getting my phone to take pictures let alone post them anywhere!

I'm not too sure about cart escalators. I hope people remember not to leave their purses in the cart! We have a multifloor Target and it has big elevators for cart transport.

Hi Damaris! Do you mean 80 degrees in the morning is unusually low?

Disgusting weather here. Hot and sticky yesterday, with rain clouds and with flash flooding inland but nothing where we need it. Today no clouds, hot again, and an inversion layer. RN and I went out at 4 AM and it was 81 degrees. We managed 4 miles.

Howdy!  Decided to ride before work this morning.  Did 24 miles.  Practically had to threaten DS2 out of the shower.  When I got home he was in, so I got all my stuff ready and folded towels.  30+ minutes later I threatened him and he finally came out. What do they do in there????  LOL.

Karen--good luck with the house plan stuff.  Just talked to my running buddies--we were going to rent a large house for IMTX but it was going to be about $700 a couple and no one was really agreeing to that, so now we are doing our own thing.  Staying at my sister's house for free!  Woohoo.  Will be fun.

Y'all have a great day!!

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Hello all. Don't remember if I posted on Monday. Anyway, I did 3 miles Monday, core work yesterday and 3 miles this morning in 61f. I have my HM on Saturday and its supposed to be about 54 to start. Perfect as long as the temp doesn't climb too much. No more running until then, just upper body weights tomorrow.

Judy-nothing wrong with tried and true!

Damaris-I sent her a pic of the temp on dashboard at 7am this morning.  44.  She does not miss it.

Karen-well, when I have to be showered, out the gym door, and picking up car pool kids starting at 6:35 and I want to run 4.5 miles, I have to get up early.  Getting back into the early routine but the first few weeks have been tough.  LOL on the detail freak.

Marjorie-nice run beating our watch.

Camille-NICE! sounds like much fun.

Tessa-don't envy the weather there.

Sue-that is a long shower.

Shadow-nice miles!

4.5 very dark miles this morning

Lisa