Womens Running

Pregnant running and heartrate basics (Read 12 times)

Runner in MI

I recently learned I'm pregnant (first check-up a week away) and have run off and on for four years. I don't compete much, but did a 5K the morning after I learned I'm expecting. I've been doing more circuit training with the weather being so foul lately, which I hold responsible for a PR in the 5k. I typically run 4-10 miles; my longest run 8 months ago was 14 miles. In reading several threads on here, I see references to not pushing it or getting your heart rate up too high. Perhaps my ob/gyn will go over this when I see her in a week, but until then, what are the guidelines for watching heart rates while pregnant? I do have a monitor, so I'll be able to keep tabs on this easily. And is there more info on this in the book everyone seems to recommend (the title escapes me at the moment, but Dr. Clapp is the author that's coming to mind).

runnergirl9508

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

The book is called "Exercising Through YOur Pregnancy" and it's a must read for any active woman who's preggo. It's also a good read for the OB dr's too.

You'll find tons of info in there about why the heartrate (HR) rule is outdated. For starters, no two women have the same resting HR, so it will take different amounts of work to get the HR to that number. For one woman, it might be up that high just climing stairs, for another it might take 35 minutes of running to get there.

Also, your blood volume increases during pregnancy which typically results in a 20-30bpm (beats per minute) increase in your HR as well.

Join the dailies Preggo thread- lots of supportive ladies there, who've all run/worked out throughout their pregnancies.

The general rule of thumb is to continue with your current exercise routine as long as it's comfortable/safe for you to do so. Know that you'll have days where you feel fantastic and like you can run forever, and other days where the pace is slower and harder. Don't be afraid to modify the exercise. Set new goals-  instead of training for a race, train for your delivery date/having a healthy pregnancy/ and feeling your best.

Congrats again, and feel free to message me w/ more questions!

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

Runner in MI

Thanks! I'm definitely going to get my hands on that book. It appears to be *the* go-to book on the Preggo thread.

I'm glad to hear someone say that the HR info is outdated. I'll look into it more, but that's good news to me. I do plan on keeping with an exercise and running schedule as much as I can. It took a month or two to get back to the point where I had enough energy to pick it back up and don't intend to sit still now unless medically necessary. I don't really train for races - I tend to use races more for the psychological lift of knowing that I can finish and as social events with friends, but I like to do one or two a year. I've had a heck of a time with injuries (not all running-inflicted) since I began running, so just being able to get back on my feet and run again, let alone make speed improvements, has been very uplifting.

Incidentally, one of my first indications of pregnancy was an increase in my RHR. It worried me some as I had just begun exercising again after the holidays and a nasty case of the flu. As soon as I realized *why* it was elevated, it made so much more sense.

I'm sure I'll be on here a lot. I spent hours reading old threads here and on runner's world - jogging strollers, how much/long to run while PG, etc. These posts are very valuable.

Funny side-note: one of the reasons I stuck with running all those years back was hearing a few stories of women having super-easy deliveries, with the common feature among them being that they were avid runners. While I'm sure there's a huge range of variation and that could be just as much hearsay as having much real truth to it, the possibility of there being even a grain of truth was enough incentive for me to stick with it.