Womens Running

Terrifying Turkey Tuesday (over 40) (Read 18 times)

Anyone have a good turkey or Thanksgiving story?

Last year my brother helped my sister in law out by getting the turkey going.  (she had had back surgery - the sil not the turkey - so couldn't lift)  At one point he called me over because he couldn't get a temperature to check it.  He had put the turkey on the rack upside down so was hitting spine when ever he tried to put the thermometer in.  Flipped it over and kept cooking it but from the time on it's breast, the turkey looked like it had a six-pack.  Was the funniest thing.  Tasted fine.

Another story was as a kid my mom got a call from the school because the were worried about me telling "stories" which was unlike me.  I had been telling all that I had eaten an entire turkey and my mom had made me my very own pumpkin pie which I had eaten completely in one sitting.  My mom laughed and said that I was telling the truth, sort of.  Since we had a small group that year she made individual cornish hens and used tart shells.  So I had my own "turkey" and "pie".

Lisa

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lisa, I am laughing so hard at these that tears are streaming down my cheeks as I eat my cereal. Hilarious!

Monday the winds were blowing down parts of trees at the end of our block and even a street light a few blocks away so I went directly home after work. The other two segments of the newest cardio DVD were at a fast pace. I did 50 minutes.

Today I will go to the track for a well needed run, then do some cardio.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

lisa.....so funny "chillin" turkey.  I don't have a funny Thanksgiving story.  The most exciting it ever got was when the sink backed up during the preparation...more annoying then funny.

4 miles on the TM this morning, went pretty well.

I have tomorrow off, actually I am off until next Monday!  The library is closed Thurs, Fri, and Sat for Thanksgiving, they do that every year and it is great!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

So one year our Dalmatian licked all the pumpkin out of the pie shell. .... No pumpkin pie for us.

5 miles on the tm.  Painful.  Still tight from Sunday's race.  Done

We got a foster weim yesterday.  Sadie.  Sweet girl, settled right in with Jake and Deuce.  She is a small girl, about 4-5 y/o, and has had several litters of puppies.  She is very interested in the food and will surf the counters right in front of us.  Hopefully we can get that under control quickly.

Anonymous Guest

Apparently back in 2009 I signed up to be a wear tester for New Balance shoes. Tested one pair of shoes and forgot all about it. Until I got a notification that a pair of shoes for testing is showing up on my doorstep today. Okay - that's 100 or so miles I won't have to put on my own shoes.

Can't think of any good Thanksgiving stories.....I dropped a pumpkin pie putting it into the oven the year my entire family came out. DH's sister put the turkey in upside down one year and it ended up being the best-tasting turkey ever, as all the juices dripped down into the breast meat. So we have always cooked them like Lisa's brother's mistake ever since. They don't look as pretty, but they taste awesome.

I ran an easy 3.5 after work (it was 70 degrees, how could I not?). Probably a few more easy tonight. Bike on the trainer tomorrow - we're supposed to be getting snow all day. Only 1-3 inches is supposed to stick, but with it being our first snow and the busiest travel day of the year, I'm planning on taking my computer home tonight and working from home tomorrow.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

The thunder finally stopped so I could run. Rained a ton but I got 10.2

Funny thanksgiving. Nothing here. Never had any mishaps

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, if I tried to put the TM at 8.2 for more than 1 minute I would be arse over tip off the back of the TM. Don't worry about it.

Lisa, thank you for that giggle. I needed it!

Marjorie, fortunate are you that you have never had a mishap.

Hmm. Thanksgiving mishaps? I will never again try something with guests that I haven't tried before on family only. About 20 years ago the LA Times had their annual Thanksgiving food section and they suggested stuffing the bird under the breast skin rather than putting the stuffing in the cavity. Lovely slices of juicy moist turkey breast with stuffing right there, said the newspaper.

First, it is not easy to separate the skin from the breast meat without tearing the skin. Finally accomplished that. Then stuffed stuffing under the skin as evenly as possible. Put the rest of the stuffing in the cavity as usual. Put the bird in the oven.

Stuffing makes wonderful insulation, apparently. I cooked that damn bird twice as long as the instructions said to and when we carved it it was still pink and translucent in the middle. Every plate had to be microwaved to avoid giving the guests salmonella.

Bah. Not trying THAT again. Yes it looked pretty, but it didn't work.

Susan/crazysue, welcome to the new weim! I'm sure you'll break her of the counter surfing in a hurry. Congratulations to you and BF on the run. That wind sounds crazy. Can they restrict prizes to LA residents only?

Karen, test shoes, how nice! And yes working from home tomorrow is a good idea. I'm doing the same.

4 this morning with RN. I may try to do some more tonight, meeting at lunch today.

Tessa-getting ready to register for my April conference!  Will hold off on flight details until closer though.

Lisa