Womens Running

wet weekend (over 40) (Read 25 times)

Anonymous Guest

I've been trying to summon up the energy to go get some ice cream for about an hour now. I don't think it's going to happen.

Here's a picture from the summit. I was very glad to have made it.

Mt Mitchell summit

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

mommymac

Great pic Karen! Don't worry about the ice cream - I'll have some for you! Enjoy your rest. Hope your comforter is downy soft and your sleep restful.

Ginny - I know people dread Monday mornings but I hope for the sake of your tooth it comes quickly.

Gatsby - Healing thoughts to you.

I got in 6-7 miles this am in the rain; ran with a friend which I haven't done in ages. All is good. Or good enough.

Wine is chilling so here's a toast to women who run!

Carolyn

camille2

Great pic, Karen!

Oh wow Karen... just looking at your pic makes me chilly.  Can't imagine 37 miles in such tough conditions (well, in any conditions, to be honest).  Well done!  Hope you're already sleeping soundly.  Ice cream will still be there tomorrow.

Lisa, the pain could be pleurisy (just looked it up).  I was also told the cartilage connecting the floating ribs could have popped out of place from the coughing.  Either way, nothing to be done about it (except to avoid at all costs anything that makes me sneeze, ouchie that hurts).  I'm just looking forward to getting better and doing long runs again.  Nice 20 today!

Camille, I don't think we have pileated woodpeckers in this area (just googled).  Would be fun to see their bright red heads.

Ginny, sorry to hear of your tooth pain.  Hang in there.

Marjorie, w/r/t your allergic reaction, for a sec I was going to suggest heat rash, but then saw that you were running in 40 temps and rain.  Umm, nope, not heat rash.

Cheers Carolyn <clinks glasses on your toast to running>

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runlikeagirl18

I did get in 8.2 miles this morning. It wasn't too bad once we got going - a bit drizzly, but it never rained hard.

Karen - you totally rock! I love the picture at the summit.

Lisa - I laughed at your comment about the top 5% runners. I guess what I was thinking was that none of them look too frozen or soaking wet.

Gatsby - good to hear from you! Sorry about the rib pain. My mom pulled a muscle coughing and it was very painful.

Carolyn - I think I understand how you feel about not knowing where you fit in. My issue is a bit different - I sometimes feel a bit out of step because I have such young children, relative to my age. Most people my age have older kids, and most parents of kids the same age as mine are a good bit younger than I am. But it sometimes makes me feel a bit like a fish out of water.

Camille - that's one way to get in some extra mileage!

Julie - Lisa speaks wisely. The times I've been most prone to winding up injured have been when I had specific mileage goals and I pushed to meet them when I should have been smart and backed off.

Marjorie - weird about the reaction. Every once in a while I break out in hives after a run and can't figure out any cause.

Ginny - ouch on the sore tooth. I hope it's a minor fix.

Off to bed. Church in the morning, then stuff with the kids in the afternoon, then off to meet Karen for dinner. Can't wait to hear about her race.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Love the pic Karen!  But, wouldn't you have been even higher if you had climbed the steps to the observation deck? ducking.  and sorry that every race does not come with its own House of Flavors. But they should. Lord help the others if YOU barely made the cut off! What was the most difficult part for you of the race?

Ginny-ouch on the tooth!

Carolyn-I toasted with you.

Cindy-with my first set of kids (had them at 23 and 25) I was the youngish mom. Now with Kaite (had her at 36) I'm the oldish mom).  Pretty much moms are moms but there are differing priorities, that's for sure. And differing bedtimes.

Lisa

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning all!

I did manage to get in 5.12 yesterday.  It wasn't too bad, either.  That 10K is looking oh so close!

Karen - Holy Moly, woman!!  You are a rock star.  8 hours, up a mountain in "non optimal" weather... I officially nominate you for the Queen of the Mountain award.  I am inspired.

Lisa and Cindy - Thank you for being so sage.  I absolutely do not want to make stupid mistakes that will put me out for part or all of a season.  I do realize that when the weather gets nice, I will be out way more often!

Cindy - Any idea when you might be coming back to visit the family?  We could look for an event!

Gatsby - Best wishes on your HM!

Marjorie - Nice miles in yucky weather.    Strange about the histamine thing.

Camille - Spring in GA... the dogwoods will be blooming soon, right?  And, sometimes those "wrong" turns can be a blessing Smile

OH Ginny... bless yer heart on the tooth.  I hope you get relief soon!

Carolyn - how nice of you to take one for the team and have Karen's ice cream for her.  *wink*

Okie dokie... almost time to get ready for church.   Have a great day, all!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

ginnyb

thanks for the sympathy.....;.tooth feels a bit better this morning, which probably means the nerve has died, remember I used to be a dental hygienist....so it will still either need a root canal or be extracted, but at least the pain has settled down.

I did do my walk/jog DVD yesterday regardless and think I will do my WT this morning.

Wonder how you are feeling this morning Karen???  Hope you got up the strength to go get your ice cream last night!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Good morning!

Ginny, hope you tooth feels much better.  I had no idea you'd been a dental hygienist.  Another type knowledge that would always come in handy.

Carolyn, good for you for running in the rain.  This talk last week of friends may have been a good thing-you ran with a friend.  I called a couple women I've met hiking and we're going for an easy one this afternoon. . Looks like a gorgeous day, too.

Marjorie, did you just have the rash or other symptoms, too?

Lisa and Karen, I thought exactly the same thing! "Lord help the others if YOU barely made the cut off!"  And Karen, you would have had two hours to do three more miles.  Of course you would have made it!  I just looked thru the slide show-a few show amazing views.  If I can get my foot and arrythmias under control, I'm going to apply for the marathon next year. It just looks awesome and I noticed people had the full 10 hrs to finish it.

Julie, I meant to mention that the day after you asked about the treadmill, the evening news had a story about the accuracy of treadmills at gyms.  Funny timing.  They said HR's were usu accurate,are  but calories just an estimate.  They didn't really measure speed, but said  people find it easier /faster on a TM than outside due to no wind and the treadmill pulling the legs back.  I think that's the general feeling. I'd ask your gym if they've been calibrated lately.

Have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry I've been MIA.  I had a HM yesterday and it went very bad.  I was nauseous since Mile 5 and walked most of the way to finish.  I had a migraine since I got back home, which explained the nausea, slept 11 hours last night and basically Saturday was a horrible day.  Woke up an hour ago feeling much better.  8 miles planned for later tonight.

Saturday shoutouts!

camille, sorry about the lack of power.  Hope you guys have it back.

Lisa, hope your miles yesterday weren't as slushy.  Great 20.

Julie, sounds like a lot of news for you.  Good luck on your performance review, hope your running group gets up to a great start, and sorry about the lack of runs this week.

Cindy, hope your 8 yesterday went well.

Karen, sounds like you did great. Bad ass girl!

Marjorie, hi!

Ginny, hope the tooth feels better.

On to page 2.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Karen, awesome picture of you at the summit.  Hope you got some ice cream.

Carolyn, nice 6-7 in the rain.

Gatsby, hello!

Cindy, nice 8!

Sunday Shoutouts:

Marjorie, how does your allergic reaction feel now?

Julie, have a nice day.

Ginny, sounds like a root canal indeed.  Hugs.

camille, morning!

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I did 23.2 miles today.  I'm now on the ferry to Ft Sumter as I'd said I would take pics there for this weekend events.  Wanted to do it on Friday or yesterday but the rain didn't allow.  At least today it is upper 60s.  Just hadn't planned to run this far and take this trip.  It is worth it.

Gatsby I've never had a reaction before.  No idea what it was.  At least today no reaction but it was in the 50's during my run and the sun came out at the end.

Karen what a great pic.  Congrats.

Ginny ouchy.  A bad tooth always seems to be on the weekends.  Hope the dentist helps.

Cindy our rain is all gone.  Wonderful running conditions today.

Julie our trees are starting to bud and bloom.  It is getting close to spring.

Camille no other symptoms  It was just odd.

Hey Lisa and Damaris.

Marjorie

mommymac

Marjorie- Do you know of any place special to stay in Charleston? I breezed through the city years ago and have always wanted to go back. DH and I celebrate 25 years in September and this could be an easy option for a trip.

Carolyn

Quick check-in after my HM this morning.  Here's my picture from the summit of Montara Mountain.  Not quite Mount Mitchell but I was sure glad to have made it!  Lots of ups and downs, mostly single track., and some of it pretty rocky  I managed to run more of it than expected and my ribs seem to have held up okay.  Be back later to chat.

Montara Mountain

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Gatsby, great pic! You look nothing like your profile pic though Smile.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel