Womens Running

Fruit Fly Friday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

My fruit flies are hanging on. They succeed because they are persistent.

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Thursday was a good 45 minute run. When I got home I did 35 minutes of cardio. The cardio helps me keep going without being stiff the next day.

Today I am meeting a friend after work for coffee. I plan to go to the track afterward. Right now I’m doing what I should do, but I also need some time to myself. I shall regroup.  

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

camille2

Good morning, Judy!

Shadow, I'm curious about the name of your race, Zeitgeist.  Is it for the movie, raising money for conspiracy theorists : ) or for a particular era?

Gatsby, how is your new job?

Laura, did I congratulate you on your last race?

Karen, good luck this weekend!  No advice from me except to have fun.

Tessa, have a great weekend of racing.

Marjorie, maybe she'll walk early and often. Some only learn by doing.

Hi to all who follow.

I weighed in last evening and was still in life time range. Yeah! I was exactly at target on home scale and their scale was 1.6 lighter, like the scales in Anchorage.   The leaders seem very knowledgeable about LT.

I'm off to my mom's in a bit and taking a rest day. I'm aiming for 8-10 tomorrow.

Bikerchick1

Judy - I think we are all like fruit flies - very persisent and we hang on!

Camille - I missed that you made it back to GA!  Congratulations on the weight loss!

Ok, here is the condensed readers digest version of R2R

We arrived at the South Rim and rushed to peer into the Canyon....woohoo!  On the shuttle for the 4 1/2 hour trip to the North Rim.  We arrived there at sunset....breathtaking view.  Getting some "nerves" now, as it is a reality, and that "Big Ditch" is DEEP!!!  Spent the night in an adorable/rustic cabin.  Up to be on shuttle at 6 am to the trailhead.  Started down about 6:20...sun was starting to come up, temp was in the 30's.  Trail was very steep and narrow....very little running at this time, lots of loose stones, and there was no margin of error for a tumble!

Stopped for pictures multiple times.  About 3-4 miles down you could feel the heat from the walls of the canyon.  Started to take layers off.  The terrain changed frequently as we went through the layers of the canyon.  About 8 miles in it flattened out a bit, so we ran quite a bit, there were trees and creeks.  14 miles in, we were at Phantom Ranch - we stopped to eat, change socks, and regroup.  Temp was 85 to 90!  Took us about 5 hours.

Off we go for the ascent!  First few miles again, were not bad, then came Devil's Corkscrew....yikes, constance switchbacks, straight up!  One of our group started to get nauseated (she thought from some GU), at about 3 miles from the top she started to vomit, so we sent 2 people ahead to notify families that we were fine, just coming in later then we thought.  The sunset was just as gorgeous as the sunrise in the canyon.  Had 3 mule deer come out on the trail with us at dusk, and we heard what we thought were coyotes, then we thought it was someone playing indian flutes, then we decided it was coyotes playing indian flutes.....clearly time to get out of the Canyon LOL... Headlamps on and pitch black we made it to the top!!!  24 + miles (everyone's Garmins died  after about 20 miles) and 11 ish hours of running/hiking and 13 + hours in the canyon we were done!  Our friend was ok after some coke and crackers..  So after hugs, pictures, we were off to inspect the "damages".....few blisters, lots of dirt, and HUGE SMILES, we were all good!

It was the most amazing experience and I would do it again in an instant!!!  Will try to post some pictures this week-end, but they just don't do it justice!

Carol

TGIF!!  Short swim this morning and a soak in the hot tub.

Marjorie--one of my friends ran Marine Corps with a similar situation.  She finished, but really tore up her ankle in the process.

Carol--great job on the race!

Ugh.  Endodontist recheck.  At least I can go shopping while I am in Mobile.  Wink

Have a great day!!

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Good morning, Ladies. Rest day today. 10 miles on tap for tomorrow.

Enjoy your coffee meetup

Camille - Nice job on the weight loss.  I don't know why its called the Zeitgeist HM. I had to look it up, but M-w defined it as "the general beliefs, ideas, and spirit of a time and place". So who knows? I know its going to kick my butt, but in a good way. Here's the description of the course: "The loop course is on paved and dirt roads with 1,181 feet of elevation gain over three hills."

Carol - sounds like a great trip. Congrats! I hope you'll share some pictures with us.

Sue - nice job on the swim. Hope the endodontist appt. goes well.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1 for me today.

Judy Apple cider vinegar works to kill fruit flys. Put a little in a dish. They will die

Camille I know she won't walk. Until it gets too bad. I'm guessing she may make it to 18 miles but will be hurting if she gets that far and hasn't been pulled by the wagon.

Carol nice report

Shadow hope the 10 goes well tomorrow

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Carol, excellent job! I just read the report to Karen who is driving

. She is envious.  So am I.

Camille, congratulations and welcome to the LT club!

Marjorie, hope she does get picked up by the weary wagon.

Judy, take some time for you. Being widowed is one of the biggest changes you will ever experience in your life. (Well, unless you're Zaza Gabor or Elizabeth Taylor.) You can get through  this.

No run this morning. I am jet lagged! We are in CT already and headed for the expo.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  All day in court but back to the office, yay.  I have a 3 mile shakeout run today and we travel to Chicago tomorrow for the expo and then the race (yes, Camille, I'm doing it!)

Judy, enjoy the coffee with the friend.

Camille, nice job on the weight.  I wish the weight I have gained since the surgery melt away.  It's too much!

Carol, great job on the race!  Outstanding!

Sue, hope the endodontist check went well.

Shadow, good luck with the 10!

Marjorie, nice 10.  How was the calf today?

Tessa, good luck and have fun!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Damaris no calf pain. Oh, my Miami trip is on hold for now. Not sure when I will get there.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Damaris no calf pain. Oh, my Miami trip is on hold for now. Not sure when I will get there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Marjorie-my goal is for my imbalances to balance each other out.  Scary for the person you know doing the full undertrained.. although some people surprise us but not likely if she hasn't done the distance because she doesn't like to.

Tessa-lots of miles Missy!  on the feet and in the air!  Have a great weekend!

Carol-a Grand Experience indeed! Congrats!!  Although I believe I've posted longer 5k RR's.  You're holding back!

Judy-nice workouts!

Shadow-good luck on your hilly half!

Camille-I hear ya on separating with those old shirts.  tough to do.

Karen-have fun with Tessa!  I know that you will!

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm in a hotel in Maryland, on my way to upstate New York for my sister's wedding on Sunday. Today's 20 miler was another disaster. I was good through 10 miles but then fell apart again. By the end my legs hurt so badly I was shuffling. Never would have gotten through it without my running buddies.  I did take the advice of several of you and slow down but apparently not enough.  Not sure how I'm going to get through the marathon.

I'm posting from my phone so no personals other than to say have fun Tessa and Karen!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2