Womens Running

Weekend (over 40) colder temps! (Read 18 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Stay safe, those in for the ice.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Two races at least cancelled because of the storms. Dallas and Memphis. Memphis runners are being nicer about the situation. many are asking their medals for Memphis go to the kids at St Judes. How nice

rest day for me. I'm trying very hard to be careful and give the hip time to build back. Did okay after pushing yesterday but don't want to test my luck.

Laura FE would be great. Amydel, Amy and Cindy are in NC (Charlotte and Winston Salem)  I could drive up from SC.

Lisa as that is nice, thanks for sharing.

I get get hair cut today. Puppy pool and pics with Santa for the dogs. I got the the cutest bandanas. They are like Santa hats. Even with a bell on the tip of the bandana and the fur trim.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Morning Marjorie, Morning Everyone,

I'm procrastinating a little - think I'll head out for 10-14 miles in a bit. The sun is out! Snow and freezing rain predicted for tomorrow, in which case I'll probably blow off my 8K. I'd be okay with running it, but driving to and from the Metro station might be scary, especially in my new car. I wanted to run it because it counts towards the Washington runner rankings. I have 5 races and you need 6 to count for the end of the year. I'd like to see how I end up. Oh well. There is a 4 miler on New Year's Eve I could do...

Marjorie, sound like a good day. Bet the Santa picture will be adorable.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hammy

Pics with the pups are on face book. I will try to put them here too.

By our tree then with Santa Hammy is first then Quincy

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - Loved the puppy pics!!!  You can tell they are very loved!  Glad to see you were able to get a longer run in!

Karen - That weather sounds bad...I would be tempted to pass on getting out in that too!

Had a nice 8 miler with RB's this am.  Was chilly and windy to start 18 degrees, but was still a nice run.  I didn't sleep well last night, and was thinking of not going, but glad I went!  Always feel better after Smile

Carol

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I ran the local Mistletoe half marathon this morning. Short version: I ran it in 1:56:21, which I was very pleased with. It's 1:40 faster than last year's race and my second-fastest half ever. Weather was perfect - 50 and overcast. I'll write a longer RR later.

Marjorie - the puppy pics are adorable!

Karen - that definitely doesn't sound like ideal race conditions.

Carol - I didn't sleep well either; I was a bit nervous about the race. Why? Who knows. It's not like my time matters to anyone but me.

Off to try and get the Christmas card set up. I've been having trouble getting my pictures to download from my camera, but I seem to have solved the problem. Have a great evening-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Marjorie - love the pooch pics.

Karen- hope you got out for your run.

Cindy-NICE time for your half! Santa came early!

Worked out out this morning at gym. 30 minutes on bike, arc, and elliptical. going to try the flat trail/roada tomorrow morning. Been stretching calf, rolling twice a day. Seems to be improved a bit so seems appropriate to run on it and make it hurt again, right?

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Cindy - Congratulations!!!  Great time on your half Smile

Lisa - You are too funny, yes, by all means if it doesn't hurt you should  go run on it....Big grin

Quiet day here....so nice.  Have been cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.  there is some Christmas things I need to do, but decided not to do it today.

Carol

Anonymous Guest

Wow - fantastic race, Cindy!! Congratulations! Tell us more about it...we need details.

Marjorie, cute pics.

Carol, WTG getting out there in that cold. Lots of cleaning going on here today too.

Lisa, sounds like a run is definitely in order tomorrow.

I ran 12.3 this morning. It was nice - 42 degrees and partly sunny. And I was back to my pre-midweek sickness pace - felt much better out there. And now it looks like the snow/ice may not show up until around noon, so I probably will race tomorrow. I was explaining to DH why I wanted to do it, and he's like "wait - you just have to drive to the metro station and back? Just take my car, even if the bad weather hits and you drive into a ditch, we'll just get another car". Race starts at 9, so if I don't stick around for the awards I could probably get on a 9:50 train home and be back to the car by 10:20.

And then he started telling my about his plan with some of his cycling teammates to race the Masters circuit around here next summer and then go out and do Nationals. I innocently ask where Nationals are. Utah, he says. So we get home and I look up when Masters Nationals are and go straight to marathonguide. And I found this: http://mammothmarathons.org/little-grand-canyon-marathon/, which looks like a fine marathon. It wouldn't be wrong to strongly encourage this cycling plan of his, would it? I mean, it would be supportive, right? And just a total coincidence that a really cool-looking marathon was going on just two hours south of there.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Cindy, awesome time on your half!  Great job! I'm glad the weather cooperated.

Karen, you should definitely be supportive of your DH!  The National cycling thing sounds important.  : )  Utah sounds nice, too.

Carol, PMD=primary MD, same as PCP (except in Fairbanks my primary care provider was my nurse practitioner. Miss her,)

Lisa, enjoy the run!

Marjorie, those are cute pics!

Gatsby, good luck! Hope the weather is good there!

Poor folks in Memphis and Dallas missing their races, but the weather sounds grim.

I'm still at my cabin and have dug out some unfinished  Christmas quilting projects. It's nice to have time to just play around. I hope I finally finish them-a wall hanging and a table runner.  I started both an embarrassingly long time ago.

I took yesterday off except for some core and did core and 30 min of running in place (with a few stairs thrown in) again on a padded rug.  It's definitely not quite the workout of running outside.  I'm doing ibuprofen again, too. We'll see.

Here's my goofiness.

Glad you all agree that if it doesn't hurt today that means I should run tomorrow.  LOL

Karen-That looks gorgeous!!  And it's not the BIG Grand Canyon after all.. just the LITTLE Grand Canyon which, of course, would mean that Rim to Rim would be near in the future, because since having done the LITTLE Grand Canyon you will have to...

Camille-don't slip on the rug.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Cute Lisa

thsnks for the comments in the pups. They are such good dogs and did well.

I ran 14.1. Wasn't perfect but it is getting better. I did stop a few time to walk around in circles so if I counted that I'm probably over 15 but I'll just count running. Still taped it but not as heavy taping so there is progress. It was cool but not freezing. Very overcast out.

Last load laundry is in. dh went into work to catch up on stuff so I'm just hanging with the dogs.

Karen hope our the race went well

Carol how is dd doing with mil?

Cindy well done!

Karen of course you need to run that race.

Camille le good luck getting the projects done.

So.....dad front. Apparently they decided they aren't doing Christmas presents this year. First we heard if it. I knew dad would have a hard time budgeting his stuff and I was right. To him, there is money in the account so spend it not taking into account how long it has to last him. I dread when he does his taxes as I'm pretty darn sure he has capital gains from downsizing the house and I don't think he kept any money to the side for this. I know, not my problem. so yesterday his wife said we shouldn't have sent them presents because dad said not to. Um, no he didn't tell us they weren't doing gifts. We would have sent them anyways, but yesterday was the first we heard if it.

At least yesterday they did decide to do small gift cards for the grand kids. He didn't tell twin either so that would have sent SIL over the edge again, I'm sure. Since Christmas Day they'd have had to figure out how to tell them their grandfather wasn't sending them anything when they, themselves, were unaware.  The  best thing is dad hasn't even bought them gifts for 6 years!  I did and put his name in them, wrapped them and sent them to dad to give the kids!  So he always had them to give the kids. If put to his own, no telling what he would have given them. Somehow dad forgets all that, especially that he has not paid for them.  He's gotten off easy and saved tons of money but I'm not doing it anymore and now he has to. Dh said I should just do it again but I said no. Dad knows it is all up to him and his wife now.

Marjorie

Marjorie-I can't help but laugh at dad not buying gifts anymore even though he never actually bought them in the first place.  It's funny.

Mainly hike but did some running.  When it hurt I decided to walk.  Go figure.

Lisa

Quick check in.  Back from Sacramento, where DH and I did the California International Marathon this morning.  I got a 3 minute PR, finishing at 4:11.50, yay.  DH did his usual, finishing just under 4:45.  Coldest temps I've even raced in --  27* at the start and 38* at the finish.  Thank goodness no precipitation or wind. I didn't know what to wear since we rarely have temps below 40, so I went with shorts, compression shirt under long sleeved shirt, tube sock arm-warmers under the long sleeved shirt,  two pairs of gloves, fleece headband and a cap.  Plus a garbage bag until the start.  I was plenty warm once we started moving but there were a few teeth-chattering minutes waiting for the gun.  I tried to stay with the 4:10 pacer but fell behind at mile 21.  Legs felt very heavy and dead at that point but I plodded through to the finish.  I definitely noticed improvement from the prior years I've done this race, but think I need more strength training and speedwork, really need to get stronger.  Then I'll be sub-4 next year for sure!

Marjorie, very cute pics of the pups!  I wish I could get our birds to pose for Christmas photos.  But they'd be scared of Santa.  And very unlikely all three would stay still in one place long enough for a shot.   Oh, and ugh on the continuing Dad drama.

Carol, I almost always feel better after a run.  Glad you had a good one yesterday.

Cindy, glad to hear your HM went well!  Nice job.

Karen, I heard great things about Little Grand Canyon from a RC friend who did it a couple of years ago.  I see that as a win-win for both you and your DH.  Nothing sneaky about it at all.

Lisa, I saw something about the knee feeling better?  Still okay today?  Love the movie silliness.

Camille, a weekend of quilty projects sounds nice.  Careful with the ibuprofen and exercising.

Sorry I haven't keep up on the last few days here...  Hope everyone is doing well!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Margaret-That is awesome that you had a PR!!! Congats!  I was thinking of you today!

Lisa