Womens Running

(Over 40) Thursday travels (Read 22 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Done with all the trainings here in the Pan Handle.  Flight home today  Off to run first and I have time since my flight doesn't leave until 10 something

Marjorie

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

MarjorieAnn3137, hope you have a safe return!  :::HUG:::

Wednesday I dashed home, did a cardio DVD with 15 minutes of running.

Today will be track run, then cardio DVD.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning ladies!

I'm back from Boston, helping a friend with arrangements after her father passed away.  Obviously, I didn't get any runs in.  I did manage to do a quick resistance band session in the hotel room.  At least I didn't feel like such a slug!!

I hope I can get in 4 today.   I'm not going to make my monthly goal, but I can come pretty darned close if I focus and run smart the next 7 days.

Question:  Is there a better way to count treadmill miles than what is on the treadmill screen?   It always seems to take WAY longer to get miles in with the treadmill, even at what feels like a higher level of exertion.  I found this: Treadmill Speed Conversions, Pace Time and Target Distances  Does this look right?  If so, the treadmills at my gym are WAY off.

Okay... I have a lot on my mind today.  So, I'm gonna get going.  The sequestration is looming large, so I need to figure out how we're going to deal with a 9% cut to a budget that has NO fat left on it.

Be well,

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

No run for me today, my left knee is swollen with fluid, I have no idea what I've done but it hurts to bend it ugh.  I iced it last night and it is less stiff today.   Arthritis??

Marjorie - have a good run and safe trip home.

Judy - good morning, you are so consistent!!'

Julie - my treadmill display hasn't worked for years.  I just go by time, figure a 9-10/mile pace.  I have never found TM to be real accurate, they usually have me going way slower, as well.

Camille - I saw your post last night about our agency hiring a consultant.  Well, they have, they've hired different consultants for different departments so everything is in chaos.  Even the clerical dept is in upheaval because they are eliminating all of the current postions (4 offices) and having people reapply for the 'new jobs'.  In the re-organization, they will have to work in different 'teams' and may have to change locations.  They eliminated one woman's position, who is the longest standing employee there, worked there for over 30 years.  She will have to re-apply for a lower paying job.  She is currently on FMLA after finding this out since she was totally taken off guard.  The woman hired as our Director is only there for 6 months (this is not common knowledge) to 'straighten us out', we're looking at no more flex/comp time, new dress code, etc.  Stupid.  I'm a social worker, I need a flexible schedule. Duh

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Laura sometimes the fix is worse than the problem!  Sorry for all the work mess.

Judy hope you have a good day.

Julie the budget stuff is going to be hard!

I did 10.5  Nice run.  Now to go to the airport.

Marjorie

camille2

Laura, that sounds just awful!  They know nothing about valuing employees and morale, eh?  I was thinking more along the line of a team builder.  Any possibility of getting out of there?

Julie, that chart looks right.  I didn't check everything but 4mph is a 15 min pace and 5 mph is 12-just the  math. The treadmills I've used have been consistent with that so I've never double cked them.  Maybe you've been training more than you thought.  : )

Ginny, here's a study on exercise frequency done on our age women. : )   http://www.runnersworld.com/training-plans/how-many-times-week-should-you-exercise  It's interesting, but was on sedentary women.

Marjorie, have a nice flight!

Hi Judy!

Carolyn, are you OK?  I may have missed your posts.

Tessa, my mom is 89 and still does most of her cleaning. Sharp, too.  During one of the 7(!) times we told her history Friday, I told one of them she'd recently scored 29 1/2 of 30 on a mental acuity test and the one she missed was a drawing.  She said, "I could have better, but I just figured, "What was the point?!"   I have to comment on you rising at 2:30 to drive to a marathon. You're amazing!  I/d be dead on my feet..4 is my limit and that only for something special.

I walked/jogged yesterday-late. I had a project that had to be mailed and my HP printer made me replace a color cartridge, despite only needing black. Two trips to town and a long time fussing with the dang thing made a 4 hour project a 7 hour one.  URGGGH! It sure felt great to send it off!  : )  I'd planned speedwork today, but it is very nice here, so will run easy  outside later and do speedwork on TM tomorrow-rain is predicted.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! (barely).  Work was super hectic last night so I got home at 7pm and only managed 2 miles and my pushups, pullups, and streak stuff.  Today, I'm meeting the running group before doing 5 recovery miles.  I'm achy all over (sore) from the strength training, but hoping it goes awya soon.  Working from home so I gotta go.

Marjorie, enjoy the flight back home.

judy, enjoy the cardio DVD and the track run.

Julie, I guess that depends on the person.  I can run 1-2mm faster on the TM than outside, mostly because of the environment outside (heat, humidity, wind, etc.) and my asthma does not surface on the TM.  Sorry about your dad's friend.

LC Runs, sorry about the knee.  Take care of it.  Does it feel like the skin cannot contain it?  I get those feelings from time to time but never felt it had liquid in it.  Ice and rest!  Sorry about the job situation to boot.

camille, sounds like a busy day.  Glad you got your run/walk done.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

No run for me today, but plan on doing my DVD tonight and run tomorrow, but it will probably be the TM, sleet forecast for tonite and tomorrow.

Marjorie....safe trip home

Laura....so sorry about all the upheaval and stress at work!  Well it is Thursday, so one more day!  Hope the  knee is nothing serious.

Camille...thanks for the link to the article, it was interesting.

Very busy here at work today, unusually so for a Thursday.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Laura, here's a Mayo link about fluid and knee.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water-on-the-knee/DS00662/DSECTION=causes

Demaris, hope you have a less busy day and the soreness goes away.

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, safe travels, hope the storm in the country's midsection doesn't affect your flight. I just spoke with someone who lives a bit east of the Denver airport and she said she was working from home because the snow was bad and getting worse.

Judy, busy day!

Julie, I usually consider the TM reasonably accurate, but I use one at the gym -- not sure how often they need to be calibrated at home. I know that some of the ones at the gym seem to require more exertion for the same pace than others, so I deliberately choose different ones rather than trying to score the "easy" treadmill.

Just don't be like one person at the gym who complained that he was wearing his GPS and while the TM showed he'd run 3 miles, the GPS said he hadn't moved at all. Um, duh. The treadmill isn't moving in relation to the satellite! (Not to mention that the gym is in the second level BELOW the street and then the buildings on either side are 40 and 52 floors respectively.)

Regarding TM conversion, that chart looks right -- it is simple math. Remember there is a difference between mph, miles per hour, and mpm, minutes per mile.

I don't think most budgets can be cut any further. There is little to no fat. Most of the big spending programs are entitlement ones that can't be cut without changing rules.

Laura, sorry work is so chaotic. I presume you don't want to post too many details but would guess you work for a county. That can be difficult. And while putting in a dress code and required hours is OK for people who do office work, if you're out in the field there will be the need for a flexible schedule. And sometimes non-business clothing.

Hope the knee feels better soon.

Camille, your mum sounds very sharp for her age! Good for her. And honestly you get used to getting up early, since I get up at 3:30 AM most days getting up at 2:30 isn't much of a stretch. I've got up earlier, actually, since SLO was nearly 4 hours away and started at 6 AM and I needed to do packet pickup beforehand. However, being on the road at that hour was a bit worrisome since closing time in California is 2:00 so that's when all the drunks hit the road.

4 miles with running neighbour this morning, gym at lunch.

Damaris, busy schedule for you too!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Tessa no issues so far.  My first flight was on time.  Just waiting on my connection home.  No delays at the moment.

Damaris at least I had first class from Pensacola to Charlotte.  That was nice.

Camille got to agree with Tessa you do get used to getting up.  Not that some days I don't want to roll over and not get out of bed right away.  When I travel my phone alarm goes off at 334.  That gives me enough time to wake up, dress, brush my teeth and make sure my body is ready to run.  Even if I don't have to get up at 4, I generally wake up at 330 to 4 and can just roll over for a bit more if I have no need to actually get up.  I also go to bed early.  Usually just 9.  Sometimes later but depends on what I'm doing.

Marjorie

mommymac

Camille - Thanks for asking; been busy with an auction at DD's school and training at work. The real drain is mental; I'm at a point in my life where I don't know where I fit in. Economically I fit in with the "Gotta leave the auction meeting early; I have a tennis match" bunch but now that I'm working part time, I don't have the patience for many stay at home moms over 50.  And the people at work (real estate) are rather removed from my  Wall Street / investment banker for a husband lifestyle. I got back from a home inspection this morning, frozen becuase there was no heat and I was crawling around a basement, to some calls regarding the auction and the Laura Mercier Cosmetics NIght Out at Neiman Marcus and the Italian handbag worth $2,000. I'd rather be decorating a house for someone and securing auction donors from someplace like J.Crew. Financially I don't need to work (emotionally I do) but I've started this career path and sometimes feel I'm only staying so my kids don't see my working as a "fail."

Julie - That 9% cut sounds like a lot; think of losing 9% of one's weight or taxes going up by 9%. Hope it works out in the end.

Laura -Your knee doesn't sound good; have you been diagnosed with any arthritis? Take your time with the knees!

Marjorie - If you run single digits, do you feel like you've had a day off?!

Camille - My mom was so mentally sharp while fighting an ongoing disease that she surprised everyone. Although she has passed away, I know she wouldn't  have wanted to live with any decrease in mental function.

Damaris - Who takes all of your avatar photos? Maybe I should change mine . . . maybe I should read my post above and realize I wouldn't know what to change it to since I don't know who I am!

We have a weekend coming up ladies; let's stay well and get out there and run!

Docket_Rocket

Hehe.  Those are the pictures from the race.  My husband would never attend my races to take pictures.  Bah.

Camille - Thanks for asking; been busy with an auction at DD's school and training at work. The real drain is mental; I'm at a point in my life where I don't know where I fit in. Economically I fit in with the "Gotta leave the auction meeting early; I have a tennis match" bunch but now that I'm working part time, I don't have the patience for many stay at home moms over 50.  And the people at work (real estate) are rather removed from my  Wall Street / investment banker for a husband lifestyle. I got back from a home inspection this morning, frozen becuase there was no heat and I was crawling around a basement, to some calls regarding the auction and the Laura Mercier Cosmetics NIght Out at Neiman Marcus and the Italian handbag worth $2,000. I'd rather be decorating a house for someone and securing auction donors from someplace like J.Crew. Financially I don't need to work (emotionally I do) but I've started this career path and sometimes feel I'm only staying so my kids don't see my working as a "fail."

Julie - That 9% cut sounds like a lot; think of losing 9% of one's weight or taxes going up by 9%. Hope it works out in the end.

Laura -Your knee doesn't sound good; have you been diagnosed with any arthritis? Take your time with the knees!

Marjorie - If you run single digits, do you feel like you've had a day off?!

Camille - My mom was so mentally sharp while fighting an ongoing disease that she surprised everyone. Although she has passed away, I know she wouldn't  have wanted to live with any decrease in mental function.

Damaris - Who takes all of your avatar photos? Maybe I should change mine . . . maybe I should read my post above and realize I wouldn't know what to change it to since I don't know who I am!

We have a weekend coming up ladies; let's stay well and get out there and run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Carolyn yes I can do less than double digits but it feels odd to me at the moment.  It seems weird to say that.  I guess I feel I have to challenge myself each day.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Thursday travels indeed. 7.5 hours of driving and I'm now in Asheville. The weather was great for the drive, but it supposed to be quite craptacular tomorrow and into Saturday morning. Cold rain. Awesome. Picked up my packet on my way into town. Excited and nervous about the whole thing. No real plans tomorrow, have to head over to Black Mountain tomorrow night for the  pre-race briefing, but that's it. With the weather I may not do much at all. Since DH couldn't come, we're thinking about coming back down here in a couple months for a few days.

So our potential buyer has decided that the decks on our boat need too much work after getting the survey done, so got cold feet and backed out of the offer. Bummer, I think I was already spending that money......but back on the market it goes.

Intended to do personals, but I am just wiped out. Here's just a couple, I will try again tomorrow.

Laura, sorry for all the work crap you have to go through.

Ginny, just looked at your blog - I love it!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel