Womens Running

Fit For Friday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

Today is fit for Friday! Make it a good one!

Ahh.. autocorrect.. I was too late to see the "girls"... would have been more "titillating" than "gels" but alas manual correct beat me to it.

My HR Director once wrote an email to a new publisher assuring him that she and I would really getting to know job candidates. We would be screwing those he was interested in.  He replied to her that we didn't need to go that far, screening them would be fine.  I jumped on email chain saying that I was going to just keep to the standard screening process myself.  Glad it was her who had sent the email from her phone and not me.  We all about died laughing.

Karen-you have seem off for month now...in a tired way, not a kooky way.  Be good to yourself.  Maybe find some goofy fun, untimed sort of run to do like one of those mud things where none of the waves are timed and just have some fun.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Thursday was another 35 minutes on the track. I plan to run there again today. Saturday is going to be yoga. It has so many benefits. I need to keep it up.

The grieving thing is for the birds. Some of the numbness has worn off so I am feeling a lot more of the depression. However, I am not letting it get me down. I’m keeping up the exercise and getting out and about. It's only been a month since DH passed. I think I'll go to the zoo this weekend.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Rest day or a bike ride with hubby tonight.

Lisa, thanks for the article!  LOL at the screwing.

Judy, continued hugs.  You are a strong woman; you can conquer anything.

Have a great day, ladies!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

Oh my gosh Lisa, I think your HR Director wins for worst autocorrect! That is hilarious. I have been kind of in a funk, starting with the headaches getting worse and lasting longer, then just being really tired, then a bunch of crappy runs and not being able to do the workouts on my plan. While we still don't have the answers on the headaches, I think some of the rest was a combination of related to that and perhaps some overtraining. And some work stress, and the stress of knowing I need to tell my boss I'm moving and getting up the nerve to do it. I've never tried a training plan with this amount of mileage and intensity while working and commuting and trying to get a house ready to sell. The good news is last night's run went really well, and while not easy, the MP miles felt really strong. I think I need to just be careful not to overdo and take breaks as needed. I need running to relieve stress, not add to it!

Judy, while I don't have a lot of personal experience, it sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. You have always been a good example to me of how to handle what life throws you with grace and dignity.

Damaris, so with running a little less miles this training cycle, do you have more time, or are you filling it with other workouts? You seem like the type to do the latter. But then again you've always done a lot of XT, so maybe you still have a little extra time?

Yesterday's run went great. I think a lot of my problem with MP runs is mental. Of course they are going to seem harder in the middle of a 70-mile week, after working all day, with temps (hopefully) 30-40 degrees hotter than marathon morning. And the me that couldn't imagine running a marathon under 9 minute miles two years ago is still struggling to believe that I can run a marathon at 8 minute miles. I have 10 on the schedule for tonight, but depending on how I feel, I may run a few less. This is the first of three 70-mile weeks and I'm okay with working my way up to the 70 next week or the following.

No plans for the weekend, other than cleaning the house. I leave next Friday for our house-hunting trip to Houston, returning the following Friday. We get back in the morning, then my sister flies in from IL that afternoon for the weekend (sightseeing Saturday and the Annapolis 10 Miler Sunday), so I need to get the house cleaned before we leave for TX. Also thinking of doing this in the morning before my Pilates session at 11:15: http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=227032-136211. Either that or sleeping in, I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

3 miles this morning with no knee pain whatsoever.  It is very odd, yesterday afternoon at work, it hurt so bad for about an hour that I could barely walk on it...then it went away and hasn't returned.  At the recommendation of a running friend here , I bought a knee band and used it this morning just in case.  Holds the patella I guess so it doesn't move as much...don't know if that is my problem, but I think it is.  Anyway, hoping it was just a fluke thing...we will see.

Thank goodness it is Friday!  Looking forward to the weekend, nothing planned except lunch with the neighbor ladies.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Karen, I'm sorry you're going through some issues.  To be honest, I think what I got just prior to SF was a bit of overtraining coupled with a flu.  Something that might not have been bad turned to worse because I was tired, insomniac, and just exhausted.  So, I agree that it could be that.  And you know what?  The migraines might work themselves out after those issues are corrected.  One other thing: maybe it's the Pilates?  I asked Marjorie about some tension headaches I was getting and whether she thought some moves I am doing are causing or contributing to it.  In the end, I realized than whenever I do the "crunch-type" Pilates movement and lift my head, I am tensing my neck so much that I am getting headaches.  Just a thought that maybe some moves are contributing to an already tense head.  good luck!  As to your question, yes, I asked for less miles mostly because (1) I have been feeling tired and gaining weight which I do when I don't XT and only run; and (2) needing to add XT without missing my workouts because work and running are taking everything.  So, you are right.  I wanted to fit more XT and Pilates.

Man, that was a long ass answer, lol.

Ginny, yay at the no pain.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2. Mowed the lawn too. Been busy. Lawn was so thick. We've had tons of rain and dh didn't mow last weekend because of the rain. Since it is supposed to rain again this weekend figured I better mow.

Lisa auto correct can put in bad thingsSmile

Judy grieving gets easier. Still is so tough though.

Glad you had a good run Karen

Damaris enjoy the bike

and Damaris is right.  Have your Pilates instructor watch if you are over tensing the neck. They can modify the positions.

Glad I mowed. As I finish this I hear thunder outside.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, snickering mightily over your HR Director's gaffe. I'm sure the new publisher was chuckling for days over that one.

Karen, I agree with Lisa. Could you go out for a run without your watch on, without a GPS, and just go run without worrying about time or distance? Run for fun, no goal, no regrets.

Judy, it will take time. How long were you two married? It's natural to have good days and bad ones.

Damaris, enjoy the rest day.

Karen, how much would it cost to have someone come in and clean the house? It might be money well spent to do that just so you don't have to add that to all your other stresses. Nobody can run for you, nobody can work for you, you need to do the house hunting, but you can certainly hire out the cleaning.

That Run with a Ranger sounds like great fun, go for it! And do take the "behind the scenes" tour of the National Cathedral. Very much worth it, and I would think it would appeal to engineers even more than the average person.

Ginny, if the knee pain comes back, I would go see the doctor. Is it hurting after you run rather than during? I'm wondering about a possible torn meniscus, quite often it hurts when the torn piece of cartilage gets stuck in the joint  -- like pinching your skin when you put a helmet or something with a similar latch on.

Marjorie, glad you got the mowing done. I wish it would rain again. We need it so badly and we still don't have sprinklers on the banks since they ripped out our irrigation system. I may need to get out there with the hose and that will take for-freaking-ever.

4.4 this morning, 6.8 at lunch. I'm going to try to do 10 tomorrow before going to pick grapefruit.

Bikerchick1

Late check in here....think I have been MIA for a couple of days...busy, busy, busy.

Judy - I think going to the Zoo would be a wonderful idea!  I'm sure it is hard......hugs for healing.

Lisa - That autocorrect is hysterical!!!

Karen - I'm glad Lisa brought it up that you have seemed "off", not bad "off" or "off your rocker"  type, just seemed tired and down.  Hoping you get some rest & relief, and the headaches get better.  Leave it to me (the Gyn nurse) to immediately think it is hormonal..... (this might be way too personal - sorry if it is) but, sometimes that can cause onset of migranes, etc.  Of course, so can overtraining.  Agree with Tessa, hire someone to clean the house Smile

Damarias - do you have a coach?  I also have really enjoyed XT, and find I am able to lose (rather then gain) a little weight  rather then just running long.

Ginny - Glad your knee didn't hurt with run.  Puzzling.

Tessa - Nice runs!!!

Marjorie - Nice of you to mow lawn instead of waiting for your DH to do it, and get it done before the rain starts!

Local Tri tomorrow AM....this is the 8th year of it, and I have done every year but 1!  It is a fun one, am doing the Sprint, so will be fun!

Carol

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

6.5 for me this morning, was so nice to get a bit of extra sleep and run in daylight.  I was busy today, had to bake cookies for a fundraiser this weekend, actually did that while catching up on computer work during baking time lol.  Working all weekend at our local Art Fair, have to do 3 booths for different groups my kids are in.   First Friday off since switching to 4 10 hour days = success!!

Lisa - ha ha, auto correct is hilarious sometimes!

Judy - thinking of you

Damaris - hope you enjoyed the bike ride.

Karen - thinking of you, hang in there.  Enjoy the house hunting next weekend

Marjorie - nice 10.2!  Our lawn needs mowing, too.  I don't mind doing it, but BF is very particular and has claimed ownership of that activity

Ginny - weird about the knee pain.  I get weird pains sometimes too - thankfully, they usually go away without issue.

Tessa - nice mileage today!  I love grapefruit, think I have turned on one of my kids to it.  My mom has a picture of me as an infant eating grapefruit  lol

Carol - Good Luck and have fun tomorrow!! You asked about upcoming races, I am doing the Vineyard to Bay 25K up in Leelanau in a couple of weeks.   I'm skipping the Crim this year.

Docket_Rocket

Ended up resting.  Yay.

Tessa, nice runs.

Carol, yes, I have a coach. He trained me through Berlin, and the failed Chicago.

LC Runs, nice run!

Have a nice weekend!

Damaris

Fundraising Page