Womens Running

Fantastical Friday! (over 40) (Read 14 times)

ginnyb

Fantastic just because it is Friday!  AND  supposed to be 50 here today!

Received my Hokas yesterday.  Don't think they are going to work for me, I have such a small, boney foot!  Not small size wise, I am normal, wear a 9 in a running shoe, but I have no fat on my feet at all, they are narrow and well just boney.  I can't even get the laces tight enough for the shoe to even touch the top of my foot and I walk right out of them.  I can't see how I could fix this problem.  I really wanted to give them a try.  If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Marjorie....yes they take paypal.

Did my WT last night, I am finally feeling normal again, may go to the gym still this morning, but may just wait for the weekend for a run.

I need a good training plan for this marathon.  I have used Runners World Smart Coach in the past and I used it for the marathon I ran in 2009.  I can't believe it was that long ago.  I am getting nervous now, hoping I can do this again.  I have to change my diet, I know that I do not eat well and I have to work on hill work....so much I have to do.  Wish I had a personal running coach.  I imagine that would be quite expensive though.   sorry to go on and on about me, just a lot going on in my head.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

I am looking into the car situation more right now. I need to see some car dealers and make a decision.

Thursday the track run was a 35 minute slog. Somehow the time change has been adding to my tiredness but I toughed it out. When I got home I got out the cardio dvd and did 25 more minutes. It helped to get rid of the tiredness. Or something.

Today will be a late cardio workout.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Ginny-that's a bummer.  I'll be trying mine later today.  Killing me that I will have to try them on a tm with it being so nice.

Judy-good luck with the car shopping.

Planning on working out after work.  Just been up way too late at night to get out in morning.  Oh well, will consider it a recovery week or maybe taper and go really long on Sunday.  Like the latter better than former!

Happy Friday!

Lisa

camille2

Ginny, TNT should provide coaching.  As I said, I had a great one and DD said she had an excellent one in St Louis and pretty good ones in Seattle. Great job on the web page (nice pic). Fund raising:  Since I'm compulsively independent, I hated asking for money.  We  sent the letters provided by TNT. I also did  informal raffles for quilts and bake sales (my coworkers cooked and bought a lot).  Team also did carwashes (group), the restaurants mentioned by Karen and cookouts, donut sales, etc.  We tried a big party/silent auction, but it was a lot of work for the return. I donated enough to cover expenses doing the races so that donors money went to LLS for research.  As you train, I'll share a couple inspiring stories about my team members who benefited from the training.  With your base, you'll be fine.

On the Hokas, you might try putting in a foam insole and wearing thicker socks to take up a little more space. I can tie mine, but they sure don't fit like my Asics.

Marjorie, I’m with Lisa about it being an over 40 thread (without carding).  It seems there are other daily threads on RA and RW.  That said, I don’t know how much longer I’ll be running. My miles are less than half of 2013 and that wasn't a great year.  Interesting about your socks.

Lisa, I loved the story about the kids visiting college. Thank you for doing that.  I’ll post some info about the Ga Death Race you’ll enjoy when I have more time.  No…I’m not running it.  : ) It’s   a Lisa, Tessa, Karen and Gatsby kind of race.

Karen, you must feel great about having so much done!  Way to go while working so much! Maybe you’ll get that promotion.

Tessa, my bro actually stays more than the rest of us because he’s been the one refusing to hire help or have her go to AL.  He finally realizes there isn’t another choice.

Judy, good luck on car shopping. I'd replace mine if I didn't hate the shopping part so much.

Laura, how's your streak going?  Miss you when you don't post much.

Carol, good training as usual!  Hope your abds recovered.

Demaris, good training as usual for you, too.

I'm at the cabin and plan to hit the gym to bike and do core today.

Anonymous Guest

Ginny, second what camille said - TNT should have a plan and coaches. I don't know if your town will have a group or not, but definitely check. Even if you had to drive a little bit, it might be a good idea to try to join the closest team for a few group runs. If you don't get a good plan through them though, google Hal Higdon's plans. They are mostly just miles, and I think you have to get to his advanced plans to get into complicated speed work and stuff. I think either Intermediate I or Novice II would work for you.

Judy, good luck with the car shopping.

Lisa, DD's stuff sounds pretty cool. And a good reason to be up late at night. I forgot to comment the other day about your college visit with the mentoring thing you do. That must have been just a really awesome thing to experience, to see those girls think that hey, maybe they can do this.

Tessa, try to stay cool this weekend. You're running the LA Marathon, yes? I think I'm hearing potential record highs? Yuck.

camille, glad your brother has finally agreed to more care for your mom. And no, you are most definitely not being selfish.

Still have a migraine, but it's not nearly as bad, and at least the nausea is mostly gone. I ran 3 really slow miles yesterday and that was all I could do. Hoping to run a few more tonight. I'm leaving work early today to go down to Annapolis and pick up my award for my running club's championship series last year, then home to sign the listing agreement for our realtor to sell the old house. Hitting the road early tomorrow morning. Excited.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

On my own I looked for team in training and there is a northern Ohio group....I filled out the info they wanted in an email a few days ago, but have not been contacted.  I assume the group in NYC will be sending me info also....hope so.

Karen....so exciting to be moving to a new place, at least I think it is exciting.  Hope you feel better.

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a rest day so Pilates class and that is it.

Ginny, what model and size did you choose?  Not all Hokas are big like that.  Maybe another model might help.  Did it come with already attached shoelaces or the regular ones?  I find the already attached ones suck.  Also, like Camille said, Hokas come with two sets of insoles.  Maybe adding the second one might help?

Judy, good luck with car shopping!

Lisa, enjoy the workouts after work.

Camille, enjoy the cabin!

Karen, sorry about the migraine.  I have the signs one for days.  Afraid it will come this weekend (although it is a cutback week so better that way?)  Feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

My Hoka is Bondi 3, came with 2 sets of laces, tried both, but I didn't get 2 insoles with them.  These were a big sale and Bondi3 were the only ones they had in my size.  Size 9, but a smaller size would be too short.  I hate to spend money on another insole only to find that they are still going to be too big or just not for me.

I am wondering about the shoes I have now, I really love them they are Brooks Pureflow, the only problem is my 3rd and 4th toe , right foot, especially 3rd really hurt after a while and lost both toenails last year.  In all my running years that is the first time that has ever happened, so not sure if I should go up a size?  I do need new shoes.

ginny

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

3.1 intervals with a mile cool down for 4.1 total.

Great Ginny I'll donate via pay pal this weekend.  I thought TNT offered you coaching as part of their stuff so they should give you a plan?  No ideas on the shoes, you could ask on the main forum as maybe someone there knows or send direct to Hoka.  They seem pretty responsive.

Camille even if you don't run a lot you can still post with us Smile

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, I would call Hoka and ask them. You can't be the first to have that issue.

Camille has a good point. If you donate what you would have spent on travel & lodging, that's a good part of the way to your fundraising goal!

I think hill work is going to be the challenge, especially since the hills at NYCM are mostly at the end. Do you have access to a treadmill that can do different elevations?

Lisa, I will be going long on Sunday, virtual running buddy!

Karen, yes it is LAM and yes it is predicted to be hot. Darn Mother Nature. Drive safely with Jake! And I am giggling about the movers packing DH's toothbrush. They will pack everything if not told otherwise.

Marjorie, I would say yes make it dailies for everyone. I know if I had been new and seen an "over 40" thread I would have been shy about posting even though I was close to 40 when I started posting on RW. (January 2003 so I was 4 months short of 40.)

Damaris, I like the Hoka laces but I know not everyone does. I can tell you who really likes the replacement laces they provide with the shoes...Gwen adores them. Play, chew, chomp.

No run today. Probably a good thing. I needed the sleep. Run tomorrow morning and then race on Sunday.