Womens Running

Karnel's Amazing Weekend 1(over 40) (Read 23 times)

Linda

I am very tired from the race.  I almost never nap, but this time I think I can.  It was an amazingly beautiful run, but very difficult.

Elvation graph

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

camille2

Great job on all the runs for Karnel.  : )

Marjorie, I love that you're doing it in meaningful places.

I'd planned to do a race near my mom's, but have driven it 3 times in a week and have to go at least Mon and Wed next week and could not face another 90-100 mile drive today.  I'll prob do a golf course run for her on the 5th, her birthday. It's  pretty and I think she'd like it.

I did 5 easy earlier and need to squeak in another 3-I wanted to watch X-Games- Shaun White fan here. : )  It's been snowing here this afternoon-NOT predicted (even now).   I just moved my car down the hill in case roads get icer-it has started sticking. Really pretty fluffy snow though. : ).

Lisa, the only sign of me doing  an ultra (even without the plane drop) is your quote: "ultra runners slow down so that they can intentionally hit the red light and then stand there resting."   That's definitely my style.  : )  So far though, a marathon has been distance enough.

Cindy, it sounds like your own plan is pretty tough. Good job! I think a run with your boys would be perfect for Karnel considering how she loved her kids and her teaching.  Enjoy!

Julie, hope the Warrier Dash was great!

Laura and Demaris, too bad about your work. Wow!  I can't imagine a supervisor allowing slamming doors and yelling. Does anyone discuss professional behavior with them?  That is so not appropriate.  Backstabbing is more difficult to manage.

Karen, glad you had a great run after your crappy week!  You are getting so fast, lady!

Linda, hope you had a great race! I bet you nailed it!

Gatsby, hope you feel better!

I'll catch up with everyone else later.

The March edition of Runner's World has a long article about Mount Marathon and the missing runner from the race I watched last summer.  The writer made Alaskans sound a little crazy, but he also made LaMaitre seem like a guy who would've been fun to know. One  thing I love there  are all the tales of adventures and it sounds like he had a few.    Worth a read, but I couldn't find a link online yet.

Be back later!

Bikerchick1

Hi All,

Did my Karnel run today as a 8k Winterlaufe run in a nearby town.  I posted picture on FB.  I look like my face is frozen....LOL, which it was...I take the worst pictures Blush   I cut the leaf out and wore it on my jacket....the weather was cold/slippery/snowy and BEAUTIFUL....had a fun time.  Came in 2nd in AG.....there were actually about 7 in the AG LOL..Dumb question here....where is the paypal link for my donation?

Linda - Great job on your 25k!!!  That elevation chart looks like amazing (not in a good way either).....

Lisa - I bet the trails were very pretty today.

LCruns - The roads down  here got really bad on our way home from F'muth...very slippery, and think we saw 4 accidents!  I am really "over" this weather!  Nice on the 6 miles!

Karen - Your poor dog (and bank account)....hope he is on the mend now.

Damarias - Ugh, on the job stress....never understand why adults don't act like adults - especially professional people....

Camille - I saw that article in RW yesterday...didn't read it yet, but I thought that was the one you had mentioned.

Hi to anyone I missed, will check back later!

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Carol go to the events page then the blog  Top right is link to donate.  Blog link is at the top of the events in the pinned post

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

My 10 is done but was wheezing the whole way and could barely breathe.  If it wasn't for these two ladies I was running for, I wouldn't have finished.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It looks difficult!  Great job.  Rest; you deserve it.

I am very tired from the race.  I almost never nap, but this time I think I can.  It was an amazingly beautiful run, but very difficult.

Elvation graph

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - Thanks....I knew I had seen it somewhere.....

Demarias - Sorry about the wheezing....glad you were able to get through it.

Carol

ginnyb

I did not do my run for Karnel yesterday, nor will I today.  I really want to run that route I talked about before and we got about 6 inches of snow yesterday!  Not that I would mind running in the snow, but I have gotten very timid about the fear of falling, used to not bother me at all, I never used to even thing about it...must be my age, I am either getting smarter or lazier, not sure which.

Today, the whole family is coming over for my DH's famous chicken wings, so there will be 14 of us, 16 counting DH and I!  We have created quite a family, should be a wild day!  I took tomorrow off from work, feel I needed a little holiday.

Karen....Poor Jake and your poor bank account!  You are so speedy these days...good job on your run.

Lisa....we do have 2 weeks to do our amazing run, right???  Great on your run too.  Too bad you live a couple of hours away, you could join us for wings this afternoon.

Carol....congratulations on 2 in AG!  I am totally "over" this weather also!  I mean the snow was pretty yesterday, but we just had nice dry sidewalks and streets and now we are back this ....yuck, had enough.

Linda...Wow!!  I am not good on hills and I don't have any to train on unless I drive to them...which I could do, but not motivated to do so.  Great race for you!   Hope you took that nap.

Demaris....sorry about the wheezing, hope you feel better.

Ginny

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Page 1

Marjorie-hope you and Karnel have a great run today!!

Damaris-it is sad but strong feeling to run with others in mind.  enjoy!

Linda-a trail described as "strenous"? I've heard them described many ways don't thing that word has been used before.  looking forward to the RR!

Karen-optimal running conditions apparently for you.. 20 and gusty winds. LOL have fun today!! snowy trails mean less rocks/roots to trip over actually.. as long as they are just dusted then the snow serves to hide said rocks/roots.

Cindy-you can always participate virtually in next Saturday's Island Fever Fat Ass that we're doing here. Virtual event for a virtual event. LOL  Nice run too!

Laura-"refreshed"? wind in face in Michigan in January.  Yes, I was refreshed yesterday too. LOL  If you see any races down metro-Detroit way remember you have lodging available. busy weekends but if you're self sufficient you can come and go no problem.

AJ-Amy D right?  no hot house flowers here with doubled gloves, doubled socks, doubled pants, doubled shirts plus fleece vest OVER backpack to keep it from freezing, fleece hat pulled low and smartwool buff pulled high.  one layer would be nice.

Lisa

camille2

Linda, awesome job! It looks tough!  Hope you had a great rest. I'd love to hear more about the race.

Tessa, I'm glad you and neighbor found each other. Not many willing to get up so early, me included!

Docket, hope your breathing is better today.

Carol, nice job on the AG award

Finished the 3 I needed for the 8 yesterday and have another easy 8 today. Roads are slick/icy here, so I'll go later.

After reading the article about Mount Marathon, I took another look at the pics from the race.  I may have shared last year. In case I didn't, here's the link.  http://www.adn.com/2012/07/04/2531254/mount-marathon-2012-67243-07-04.html Pics 25 to the end show race terrain variety.  I think you'd enjoy.

Page 2

Camille-just another 5 more miles for epic glory... and awesome aid station food. LOL

Linda-strenous understood. did you take any pics? RR? share girl!

Carol-heading out door hope someone can find you the link.  Great job on the race!!

Ginny-tempting tempting!!!  can't come though.

Duh-I ran 15.4 yesterday not 14. Oh well.

DD won basketball game and coach played with class. We had beaten this team by a wide margin before so he started mostly the 2nd string girls and let them play the majority of the time. didn't press (whatever that means) and the girls tried so hard to help a couple of girls that have yet to score by passing to them most of the game.   We had a parent from the other team compliment us afterwards for not pressing or not playing all out. They forfeited one game rather than playing a team that had beaten them by a 50 point margin and continued to press the entire time. They appreciated not having their girls be humiliated. Nice to hear for us but sad that another team would do that to 7th/8th grade girls. Then again, we've had it done to us. I don't get it but competitive I am not.

Nice time at comedy club too!  heading out to volunteer at Super 5k then having friends over for Super Bowl. Have a great day ladies!

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Wow, Linda, that is some race! Big hills - I think a nap was definitely in order.

Carol, congrats on 2nd in AG! I like the idea of wearing the leaf - hadn't thought about that.

camille, I saw that article in RW and thought it was the same race you were at. I'll read it today.

Ginny, I completely understand your hesitation with the weather. Have a fun fun time this afternoon.

Lisa, dang girl. I think your description of what you wore running yesterday makes it very clear why I left the midwest after college. You must make an entire load of laundry from one run!

I decided not to run the trail half today. It snowed here overnight, and snowed more up in PA. The main roads I'm sure are clear, but there are a lot of smaller roads to get to the park where the race is. Woke up and saw several PA folks on facebook talking about slick roads. Was not wanting to drive two hours each way. So my Amazing Event will now be the 50K I'm running next week in Arizona. Where it is supposed to be sunny with a high of 55.  Anyway, will try to find someplace snowy closer to home to run the 12 miles on my training schedule today. Feeling a bit like a wimp, especially with Mount Mitchell in 3 weeks, but decided just not to deal with 4+ hours of driving stress and slippery roads. And right now, under a blanket, drinking coffee, with a dog on my feet, I'm feeling pretty good about my decision!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 5 recovery miles today for Karnel.  I'll do some more runs this week in her honor.

For those that didn't get a chance to read the RR of my marathon for Karnel, here is the link:

RR

It is also in my blog, if interested.

I am glad I pushed through my 10 miles last night.  My friend died this morning at the hospice.  I never met her in person (she was part of the RWOL BF community) but everything I knew her from there and in FB showed me a caring mother and friend, and a person that had nothing but encouragement for others.  She'll be missed.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, girls.  The breathing was better today.  And since DH started me on BCP my other issues have calmed down.  All I am watching now is to see whether I gain weight.

camille2, those views look amazing.

Bikerchic, morning!

Ginny, choosing a specific route is worth waiting.

Lisa, nice job to your DD!  Sounds like you had a nice time.

Anonymous, sorry about your trail half.  You'll find another.  I saw the pics of the Groundhog Marathon and even me, the bad ass, wouldn't attempt such a snowy race.  A 50K will make do, I think, LOL.

Have a nice day!  I need to dye my hair today.  Lots of gray and I don't like that. Shocked

Damaris

Fundraising Page

mommymac

Damaris - I followed RW for years; who passed away?

Carolyn