Womens Running

Wacky Weekend (Over 40) (Read 19 times)

Wacky weather!

Hoping to get out and back on the trails before the freezing rain hits.  Temps raising into the 40's so will just be a transition period.

Abort!  More glaze out there than in Tim Horton's, Dunkin' Donuts, and Krispy Kreme combined.  Will clip coupons, clean the bathroom and go later when all has warmed to be a pleasant and refreshing 40 degree rain.

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Lisa - No kidding....skating rink here as well.  Ugh....  Hope you get out to the trail later.

Was planning on LR this am BUT...as LIsa already explained...whether here is slippery.  Not going to run on ice....I will run in snow, rain, but not worth it on ice.  Will resort to some DM miles.

Happy for the week-end, however...no matter the weather!

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

7.2. I was a bit underdressed but stuck it out in my shorts and short sleeve tech. I saw one guy in tights wool cap gloves and heavy long sleeve tech. It was NOT that cold! I'd have been a wet mess if I'd worn that much. But he was fast. I'd guess he was doing under a 7 pace.  He flew past me line I was barely moving. It was 46 and sunny. I needed the sun to warm my hands back up. I should have worn long sleeve tech but I survived.

Lisa yikes. Icy is not fun

Carol stay safe

Marjorie

I'm heading out soon for around 8 with my RC in the rain.  Glad to have it!  Be careful out there, you peeps dealing with wacky weather.  No run is worth risking a nasty slip-and-fall on the ice.

Lisa, yum, glazed doughnuts.  Wait, what were we talking about?

Carol, enjoy your DM miles.

Marjorie, I guess some people just really don't want to be cold?  Although at those paces, that guy probably warmed up pretty quickly.

BBL!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

ginnyb

Did my WT at home this morning.

Very icy on my way to work, almost wiped out on the back porch at home.  Darn weather, in another 10 days we can say " at least it isn't November!"

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Still waiting for roads to de-ice. Many accidents with one freeway closed because of them. Yup. Good call on not trying to get out.

Looking to meet up with run buddy for 10 before going to a small running dinner party.

ice belongs in a glass not on the roads.

Lisa

Got 7.1 in on slushy sidewalks and streets.  Not my favorite route (except when it is snowing and there are few cars on the road) - but its done/  Was going to try to meet up with Lisa but I need to get back to finishing up lectures for this week so I can grade design reports.  Actually, need to set up the spreadsheets so I can check their calculations.  Such fun! 

MSU Women's Cross Country just won the National Championship!!!    Go green!

Personals later...

camille2

Wacky weather indeed.  From 19 early in week to almost 60 today and warmer with storms predicted tomorrow.

Lisa, Carol, Judy and Ginny...take care.  Ice is the worst!

Marjorie, I also see people dressed so differently here for running.  When it was chilly earlier in week, some folks near my mom's were out running in warm jackets and others in shorts.  I tend to overdress a little, but not like I'm at a Packer's game.  I have a thin couple l.s. shirts that the sleeves will stay up on that I use a lot.

Karen, I hope you and hubby are better.

Gatsby, I hope you enjoyed the LR.

Demaris, I'm impressed with your long runs after a day at work!

I did an easy 35" this a.m, but it's great out this afternoon and storms are predicted tomorrow. I did  45 min.  on the hilly route this afternoon.  I planned to go a bit further, but an unleased dog  really stood his ground in the middle of the road and no owners were in sight, so I came back.  It was a lab mix, I think, and didn't have hackles up,  so  it would have prob been OK.  Otherwise, it was really nice.

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 4.4 miles this morning and felt pretty good. It's cold here for NC, but nothing like what some of you are experiencing. I felt good enough that I'm going to sign up for the local half that's in 2 weeks.

Ok, as promised, here's my Richmond Marathon RR:

I left on Friday with one of my RBs driving for the four-hour trip. Got there in plenty of time to get to the expo. On the way in, I saw a couple I go to church with - he was running the half. We picked up our packets and met up with a couple other friends who were there. Funny story - my other RB for this race and her DH - a triathlete - had their body composition measure while they were waiting for us. His results indicated that he has too much body fat, and hers indicated that she didn't have enough leg muscle.  Based on their results, I declined to have mine measured! We met up with several other friends for a yummy dinner, then to the hotel and bed.

Up and out early Saturday to walk to the start, and it was COLD! Temps right around 20 at the start. I had gone to Goodwill and picked up a fleece pullover for $4, and I was very glad of it. I hated to throw it away, as it was new when I bought it, but I knew that a charity was collecting all the discarded clothes. RB1 and I met up with RB2 and her DH at the bag check, then her DH headed off to his corral after a bit. The race went off and we headed out at an easy pace, heeding the good of advice of several of you ladies here. A mile in, I was warm enough to shed the fleece, and I got rid of the LS cotton shirt a few miles later. We headed through downtown and out Monument Ave (don't ask me what the monuments were; I have no idea) and then wound through neighborhoods for a couple of miles. It reminded me of some of the neighborhoods here - some nice, larger houses, and some older neighborhoods with quaint houses. From the start, we walked 90 seconds every 2 miles, which corresponded with the water stops.

At about mile 7, we crossed the James and went down to run along the river. This was a really pretty section - wooded, along the river, and then through some pretty neighborhoods. I was still feeling good, which was encouraging, since we were past the point where I had started to struggle in my long runs. At mile 15, we hit the longest hill of the course - the bridge back across the James. It was long but pretty gradual, and I handled it well. Just past the bridge, there were three of our friends (who had done the half or 8K) to cheer for us! That was a nice boost.

At about mile 21 I could tell I was starting to tire, and by mile 23 I felt pretty bad. The last 3.2 was gutting it out, both for me and RB1, who was having a tough day. RB2 felt pretty good and kept us going. At one point, someone said they were looking forward to getting something to eat at the finish, and my response was "All I want to do right now is to stop running." Made it across the finish line and even managed to get our arms up for the photographer, then staggered over to wait in line at bag check (20 minutes!!) to get our warm clothes.

After realizing that there were only plain bagels and bananas to eat, we headed out to get a shower at a nearby Y and then go get some real food. As I mentioned in an earlier post, RB's car was broken into while we were showering. They smashed her driver-side window and stole her purse, which was a real bummer. RB2 and her DH helped get the glass cleaned up while RB1 was on the phone with the police, and then followed us to Walmart and helped tape up the window with plastic. Then Five Guys burgers for dinner and a very loud ride home.

I finished in 4:43:05. I was pleased that I felt as good as I did for as long as I did, considering how my training went. I think the run/walk approach was a smart move. I have no idea how I managed the almost-even split, other than to say that the walk breaks must have helped us maintain the pace. I'm glad I did it, but I have to say that I think I'm a half-marathoner rather than a marathoner.

Some of my favorite signs:

If this were easy, it would be called your mama.

Smile if you've already peed a little.

In 2013, less than .17% of the population finished a marathon.

I'm proud of you, random stranger!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Anonymous Guest

Great report, Cindy, and great race! Seriously, you ran it really well. Bummer about the car break in though.

Sorry to hear about all the iciness and not so good running weather, ladies in the north. I blew off my half this morning (really needed to rest and take it easy indsead - the migraine really wiped me out). It warmed up nicely though, so after PIlates I got a nice 7 miles in, about 48 degrees and sunny.

Marjorie, you'd probably laugh at me sometimes if you saw me - I wear more clothes than most out there. Unless I'm racing, I'm cold when other people are comfortable or warm.

Gatsby, hope your run went well.

Lisa, did you get out there this afternoon?

Ginny, glad you didn't fall. Maybe a good day to be at work though, at least better than if it was nice out.

Susan, glad you got out there.

camille, I hear you on the wacky weather. We're supposed to be mid-70s Monday, then 90% chance of snow Wednesday. Bummer on the dog cutting your run short, but you did the smart thing.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

I enjoyed the RR Cindy!  Sounds like you had a good strategy and stuck to it.

GinnyB, yikes, good that you didn't fall on the icy porch.

Lisa, hope you got your miles in this afternoon and are enjoying something in a glass with ice.  Unless you're having wine or beer, in which case hold the ice.

RunnersMom, what exactly do you teach anyway?  Sounds interesting and hard.

Camille, better safe than sorry when it comes to dogs that you don't know.

Karen, hoping that the migraine is gone.  Anything in particular that triggers them for you?

I did 9.6 this morning and am planning a 10 mile trail run with RC friends tomorrow.   Then time to taper for CIM.

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

camille2

Great report, Cindy!  I'm glad you ran strong. Tapers are great, aren't they?

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - It is amazing how different people dress for weather!  Among my little running group - a couple of us will have on 1 layer, while others have 3 layers!  You are so consistent in your running!!!

Karen - Nice job on your run!  Good choice on not doing the half....glad you took the time to rest a little!

Cindy - Loved your RR!!!!  Sounds like you ran a very smart race.  Did the 3 of you run together the whole time?

Susan - I'm always happy to see you posting here!!!  You have been so consistent in your running as well!!!

Ginny - Glad you didn't fall on that ice!!!

Camille - Nice runs for you too!  I am always afraid of dogs on the loose Sad

Gatsby - Hope you enjoyed your run in the rain!

Did a hill DM w/o yesterday.  Off now for some miles with RB's.  It is 50 degrees today....cloudy, with some sprinkles...that beats 30's with ice!

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Raining a lot here and will be all day so I'm gonna get wet. At least it isn't too cold like last Sunday

Cindy great report I won't ask what the monuments were

Camille no hackles but the dog still may have bitten if you'd continued.

Karen I'm sometimes overdressed. I do try to look at the weather and see what the temp will be when I'm mid point and finishing and dress for those temps. I'm a cold wimp but I can stand it for a little while if I know it will warm up. Yesterday I gave myself until mile 3 to decide if I needed to come home for arm warmers or gloves. Ny then I was okay

Carol ice to 50?  You all are having nutty weather

Well this rain isn't going to stop so.....must go eventually

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  Ran 5 on Friday and 12 and weights yesterday but ran too many errands to be online much.  Hoping for 7 tonight.

Lisa, sorry for the ice.

Carol, running on ice is dangerous indeed.  Good call.  Nice job on the TM.  Enjoy today's run.

Marjorie, nice 7.  Hope you get to run later.

Gatsby, hope you enjoyed the run in the rain yesterday.  ETA: great run yesterday.

Ginny, sounds horrible.

Susan, nice job on yesterday's run.

Camille, nice job on the 35 minutes.

Cindy, great RR.  Congrats again!

Karen, nice Pilates and 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page