Flipping Friday Over 40 (Read 17 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Oh! Someone turned in my keys at the gym! I'm getting a new lock and keys anyway.

Thursday I did 40 minutes of cardio DVD work at home.

I was looking at the drop measurements from heel to forefoot of my shoes. The new Ravenna 5 shoes I’ve been using felt like my heels were going lower as I ran. The Ravenna 5s have a 7.9mm drop where my Adrenaline 14s have a 12 mm drop. I feel more comfortable with the Adrenalines so I guess I prefer more of a drop. The Ravenna 5s are good after I run about 10 minutes or so. Is the amount of drop more of a preference kind of thing?

Today will be a track run as far as I know.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

I ran 3 miles this morning at a 10:58 pace!!!!!  I can't believe it and I don't know why it happened, but I will take it!  I am so excited, I don't t;hink I have run that pace in 10 years.  What the heck?

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Ginny-Now I'm worried about us running together, Speedy!  You'll slow down for me, right?

Lisa

ginnyb

yeah, right Lisa!  No worries, I could never do that for 13 miles!  I was just so excited!  This could all come to an end, I have no idea what is going on....

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

No run for me today; it's an SDO. I got out yesterday for 4.4 miles, and I'll get a walk in this morning. I'm in the mountains of TN at my MIL's, so it will be a hilly run. We're here for Grandma Camp, a big family gathering with all DH's siblings and their kids. The boys have a blast.

I was at the meet in the article Karen posted!! Winston-Salem is where we live, and I volunteered at the meet. I wasn't there for those particular relays, but my RB's husband was. I did see a lot of very impressive older runners the day I volunteered. We are also hosting the indoor masters nationals in March, and I'll probably volunteer again. It was fun.

Judy - some runners advocate a lower heel drop to promote more of a midfoot strike. I do think it's a matter of preference though - the earlier Ravennas worked will for me, but the Ravenna 5s didn't work at all.

Ginny - yay for the fabulous runs! I love it when that happens.

Lisa - I think you're smart to cross-train. When the boys go back to school, I'll be back at the Y on the elliptical some.

Have a great day everyone-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

camille2

Good morning!

Judy, it's nice that your keys were turned in. On the heel drop, I thought a 0 was just like barefoot, 4 was slightly raised and 10 had a fair amt of heel padding.  I may be completely wrong though.  I believe the zero drop shoes started coming out after the barefoot running movement.

Cindy, that's the area DD was married in. Hilly, indeed, but just a lovely area.  Have fun!

Tessa, congrats on the new family member!

Ginny, woo-hoo on the speed!

Karen, I loved the article!

Susan, no need to explain your hours here.  Weren't you reading a paper over the weekend?

I biked an hour yesterday and did about 15 min hill repeats. Hip is bugging me again intermittently.

I have to take the RV in to get the wiring to rear lights fixed.  On the first day of traveling around the state, I was run off the road by a car passing a line of cars. I couldn't get the last foot of the RV off so he knocked off the small rear panel with the lights.  We duct taped it back on (it looks Alaskan now), but it keeps blowing out bulbs. It'll be a while before the panel and other parts come in.  The guy received a well deserved ticket.

4 miles on schedule plus biking after dropping off RV.

Anonymous Guest

Judy, hooray for someone turning in your keys! Smart to go ahead and get a new lock and keys though.

Ginny, you are on fire lately! I don't know what you've got going on, but can you bottle it and save some of it for me for my September marathon? You seem to have all the mojo in Ohio, because my runs there earlier this week were crap!

Cindy, I forgot you were there (edited to add "for the track meet". I know you're there in general). That must have been cool. A friend from PA that runs on a master's track team was down there. Hearing her stories and seeing her pictures makes me think it might be fun to try. Then again I ran pretty bad on the track for my one mile race last weekend, so I might really suck at it. Hence my plan to outlive the competition - the 82-year-old woman at the mile race won her division again (1 of 1).

camille, he's lucky he didn't do more damage or hurt someone! I was going to ask how the hip was doing, then I reread your post. Sorry it's still bugging you some.

I ended up running 8 yesterday since it was nice and cool out and I hadn't had a decent run in awhile. Schedule called for 10 w/ 6 at MP, but I didn't want to do that with the upcoming ultra. Probably just a couple easy miles tonight. I wish the race was today. It was 62 with low humidity this morning. Temps should be okay tomorrow, but humidity is creeping back up. I've set several intermediate goals, so if 36 miles turns out to be too aggressive (I ran 35.8 last year and I know it was during marathon training, I just wish I could remember how I was feeling leading up to the race), I have some other things to chase. It's just for fun anyway, not a goal race at all. I should go back and look at my log from last year though.

I am so glad it's Friday!!! Three weeks to our house hunting trip. I may or may not have been looking online for races down there on the 16 or 17. Since I'll be down there by myself until Sunday night, I might as well find something.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, you are getting stronger and faster! The work youhave done over the years is paying off.

Marjorie, tinypics.com doesn't seem to work, or else my company's firewalls are blocking it. I can email pictures if anyone wants to see Guinevere. I agree, I don't want to pay taxes on the forgiven amount either, but it's a heck of a lot less than paying the entire credit card balance. Just for the record, speaking as an informed lay person and not an attorney which I am not, life insurance isn't part of the estate and can't be attached by the estate's creditors. It also can't be contested like a will can. And if a person dies leaving large debts and little assets, the creditors can only come after the heirs for the amount of the estate, less some expenses like funeral costs which I believe get paid first. Heirs don't get to keep any money in the estate if there are unpaid debts but they don't have to pay the decedent's debts out of their own assets, or joint assets, either. So while I used what was in DH's checking account for the settlement of his debt, I don't have to use assets we owned together, like the cars, to pay the rest.

Racers this weekend, good luck!

Judy, glad they found your keys and turned them in. People leave so much stuff in the locker room at ours! And yes amount of drop seems to be a preference and is partly based on your strike. I'm guessing also that as a short person you tend to wear shoes with a bit of a heel to them anyway.

Cindy, mountains of Tennessee -- you mean there is a flat bit of Tennessee? *grin* Have fun.

Camille, from what I've read the whole state is held together by duct tape. Sorry you were hit and glad the idiot got a ticket.

Karen, 36 is a reachable goal for you I'd say. For me it would be a bit too much. BTW, do you have Utah? I'm definitely doing Mesquite this fall.

4 this morning, my usual distance it seems on a weekday morning. And on the way back up the driveway Orion's belt was just visible in the predawn sky over the eastern horizon. I've been looknig for him since the Pleiades have been visible for several weeks now.

Winter is coming.

Anonymous Guest

Tessa, I forgot to say congratulations on the new kitty! She sounds adorable. And no, I do not have Utah. I thought I might get it in September when DH was planning on doing the masters cycling road racing nationals out that way, but they have decided not to do it, so I decided to make Erie in September my goal. I'll get the western states once we move.

Hi Was going to write good morning, but it is already afternoon.  What happened to the morning?

Nothing much new here.  Struggling with taper - I want to go and run more but am trying to be good.  Walked 5 miles yesterday, 3.6 with DH and 1.5 on campus (gave DS the car keys so he could drive home if he finished at work first).  Will probably walk about 3 miles with DH this evening.  May try to go for a swim later, although the problem with afternoon swims during the week are the summer camps (just lots of kids, screaming and jumping.  Yeah I'm an old grump).

Judy, glad you got the keys back.  Hope you had a great track run.

Ginny, awesome job on the 3 miles!  I agree with Karen, find a 5k to run Smile  Congrats on the pace... don't question, just enjoy!

Cindy, The gathering in the mountains sounds like fun.  I miss the mountains.

Camille, Yep, over the weekend it was one of my student's papers.  This time it was a manuscript for a journal, submitted by two Chinese researchers.  I have another I should download and start reading.  Sorry about the hip.  Is it the hip flexor?  Mine gives me a hard time especially when I sit alot.  I was afraid it would be a real pain at Philmont - had some slight pain, but 2 ibuprofen seemed to help. Enjoy the run and bike ride. 

Karen, Glad you had a good run.  I feel the same way about Sunday's race.  I wish it were today.  Its cool, little humidity, slight  breeze.  Humidity is supposed to be 97%, 66 degrees at 7 am.  At least it is supposed to be sunny - so the humidity will drop off as the temperatures increase.  I guess that is a good thing.  At least the course is fairly well shaded.

Tessa, Sorry for all the hassles settling DH's estate, but glad you could work out a deal with the cc company.  Did you have to remind me about winter, LOL???? 

Well back to work.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1 again.  I have a wonderful blister on my big toe.  I tried different socks so it at least it didn't get bigger.  If my foot wasn't so wet from sweat it wouldn't have blistered yesterday.

Ginny just accept it and go with it

Tessa all very true.  But their credit cards were joint so the debt was still dad's responsibility. He just never knew what she was doing with the cards.  LInk as maybe I spelled it wrong as it is pic not pics  http://tinypic.com/

Hi everyone else.  I need to get back to work Smile

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

One of DH's cycling friends (a triathlete and really fast runner) is also doing the race tomorrow. I think I have DH and another friend of theirs convinced to come out and heckle cheer us on. That should make it much more entertaining. Also, is it wrong that one of my intermediate goals (if I give up on 36+ miles) is to run more miles than a certain relay team does (you can run it solo or as a 3-person team)? That might be petty...

Susan, put your feet up. Rest. Relax. Take it easy. You are tapering. Good that the course is mostly shaded - the sun is not your friend over about 50 degrees (although I like it up into the 70s). In the old RWOL masters forum we referred to it as ELSO (evil, life-sucking orb). Looking forward to hearing all about your first marathon. You have no idea how excited I am for you.

Marjorie, wish I could send some of this low humidity weather down your way, but I'm afraid you are stuck with squishy shoes until fall at least!

Quick check in to say TGIF!  And to send good running vibes to all the racers this weekend.  We've got Karen doing her 6-hour tomorrow, RunnersMom doing the Kensington marathon on Sunday and Damaris doing the SF marathon on Sunday. I'm running the SF half with my DH on Sunday too. Anyone else?  Will be back tomorrow to chat.  Hi to everyone!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  Another busy day in Court, sigh.  Planned on running 4 after work but I am exhausted.  I have not run since Saturday.  Packing for my trip to SF.  Marathon in 2 days and I have not run well.  Ha.

Judy, glad to hear someone turned in your keys!

Ginny, sounds like your runs have gone well lately.

Lisa, hiya!

Cindy, sounds like a lot of fun.

Camille, sorry about the hip.  Nice workouts, though.

Karen, how are you liking Hanson?  Sounds like you're doing well.

Tessa, nice 4.

Susan, keep at it and you'll do fine!

Marjorie, nice 10.

Gatsby, hope to see you there!  Feel free to text me (I assume you still have my number).  Sorry I've been MIA; too busy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page