Womens Running

(Over 40) Jan weekends are done (Read 28 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Keeping with Lisa's theme

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Off to run my 10 then puppy pool.

Annie susan yes, will wonders never cease?

Gatsby running will wait  feel better!

Damaris I'm far from typical as I only took the day of and day after my ablation off.  The doc didn't tell me not to run (cough, and I didn't ask) so I did.  He was kinda surprised when I told him.  Only reason I didn't run the day after was dh had to work and I was thinking what if something happened on the run and he wasn't home to realize I'd been gone for a really long time.

Marjorie

But the weekend has just started....

Yaktrax out and ready, double layer socks (Smartwool), flannel lined tech top with fleece vest on top, baleclava (why isn't it ever baklava?), double gloves, and my longest run tights with shorts on top.  About 6 inches of fresh snow and 20 degrees (but feels like 9 thus the layering).  Happily forgoing the treadmill for a beautiful snowy run wtih same run bud as last week.She's the one who had the "shoe-gasm" when she put on Yaktrax.

then dd has bball and we've been invited to a friend's house to celebrate her dd's bday.

Good day... no house work or work work mentioned... even though both so need attention.

Damaris-doctor and lawyer in the house... student loans paid off yet?  must be from the travel you get to do.  LOL Do you know Scrapster from trail forum? She's a frequent run bud on mine and also a lawyer. Good luck and have fun on this weekends race!

Gatsby-feel better soon! will have to coordinate when I'm in mountain view/sfo area beginning of June.

Tessa-my ovaraies are likely tired... started when I was 10.

Susan-some parents here with kids college age said that some schools are like that and refuse to share info with parents. I guess it may also depend on who you get on the phone and what specifically you ask though (ain't that the truth for everything?)

Karen-you certainly know your hubby... he's competitive so trying to accept the last offer from other party must go against grain.  try looking or adding something non-cash that can be added so that he feels like he DID get the last offer in and they feel like it's nothing to say no over. I'm far from being a great negotiator but that's the oldest trick in it.

Marjorie-have fun at the puppy pool!

Amy-the hardest part of family issues is when you've let things go so long that resentment starts to push out feelings of obligation and you realize that love may not have been there in first place or has since disappeared.

That's why I tried to distance self from the stepson and kid situation. Unfortunately, and somewhat embarrassed to say it, I've realized that I have that apathy towards them; but I guess that's part of the inability to form attachments thing they have going on, the underlying issues I have with dh, and the fact that they aren't truly related to me. sounds horrible but I would point to dh's ex (stepson's mom) and her distancing herself from situtation even more than us. Clearly more going on than meets the eye. Stepson has not been over with kids since December. DH doesn't want us going to ss's house (not that ss has asked) because of the deplorable condition dh saw it in when he babysat the kids over the holidays.  All that we had tried to help foster disappears when they left our house when it comes to eating, hygeniene and caring for objects. Kids' don't seem to necessarily want to come to our house either because we have restrictions (like eating at table, washing hands, putting things away... real onorous things).  He now has some 22 year old with her 2 young children living there. She watches kids when they aren't in school and ss is working. Supposedly platonic but who knows.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 recovery miles done as a shakeout run before tomorrow.

Marjorie, enjoy your 10.  Not sure if I am ready for the ablation.  We discussed it 3 years ago and the problem solved itself.  Hoping it does again.

Lisa, enjoy your cold run.  Haha.  I work with DOJ so my salary is not too grand.  We can only travel because we don't have kids so we spend that money on that :-)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Ice and sleet last night but was over soon. There are icy patches on the street that I either had to run around or tiptoe slowly through. FInished 7.63 miles and my hands and nose are still cold! I am about to have some warm oatmeal, yummmmmm! I can't wait.

Lisa, I just get so sad when I hear about your stepson's children. I get that he is not your son and "love" probably doesn't enter the picture for you. And it seems like an uphill battle to try to change their ways.

annieSusan -- I hope your DH has success with myfitnesspal. I know Karen said it worked for her. I didn't care for it because I cook a lot and I had to enter every single ingredient in a recipe to get a calorie count. It just took too much time.

Marjorie -- I think it's pretty typical of a man to expect more physical attractiveness in a woman than he himself has. I have friend who operates a "matchmaking" business and the men are always insisting that the women have to be thin or in good shape. When I asked her what kind of shape the men are in, she just rolls her eyes.

Try to stay warm, ladies, it's chilly most places today!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I did 10.2 and we are now at the pool with Hammy.

Amy so glad we didn't get sleet.  It was warmer this am in the 40s when I ran

Damaris good luck tomorrow

Lisa hard to distance from the kids knowing there is such a need there.

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I survived 6 miles on the TM at the Y this morning. Like Amy, we had sleet and freezing rain yesterday. Our sidewalks were icy enough, though, that I didn't want to risk running outside. The misery was tempered by the fact that my Saturday running buddy met me there and we were able to get treadmills next to each other. It's true - misery really DOES love company! It made me very grateful that I live in a place where, for the most part, I can run outside year-round. I don't know how some of you do it during the winter.

Tessa - I'm still here! The last couple of weeks have been busy, both with the boys and work-wise. With DS3 in kindergarten, I've been volunteering at the school a bit more, figuring that time for doing that kind of thing with DS1 is running out. Work-wise, I've started the annual report process with my main client, which is time-consuming. So that's why I haven't posted as much, but I've been keeping up with everyone.

Marjorie - nice that the sleet didn't hit you! It was pretty nasty here yesterday. The boys got out of school 3 hours early.

Lisa - enjoy the outside run! I know you're happy to be off the treadmill. I don't blame you for distancing yourself from the situation with your stepson - you can't help someone who won't be helped. Sad for the kids, though.

Damaris - good luck tomorrow!

Amy - one day last week it was quite windy when I ran, and my nose stayed cold forever afterwards! BTW, I will look at the same hotel for the Tar Heel 10-Miler, and if it works, we can all ride together to the race. I don't mind driving.

Off to have some lunch. I think I'm fighting off a cold - I have a bit of a sore throat and the beginnings of a sinus headache - so I'm going to lay low for the day. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

I have been a bad forumite lol.  Today was the first day I've run since Monday Blush  But, got in a really refreshing 6.1 this morning on fresh snow.  Didn't have time for a longer run, indoor soccer started this morning so I had to be out of the house mid morning.

Not even going to try and catch up with what's going on, totally out of the loop.

Marjorie - nice 10.2, enjoy the puppy pool!

Lisa - sorry about the family situation, very sad about those kids, but there's not much more you can do.

Damaris - hi there!

Amy - nice run, have you tried Trax for your shoes?  I love mine, they work on just about anything.

Cindy - nice TM run.  I think my TM is about to bite the dust, it's starting to slow down in the middle of runs.  I am not surprised, it's 13 years old but I don't really want to fork out the $$ for a new one.

Enjoying 'kind of' a quiet day...soccer is over and my older son has a friend over, so the noise level is elevated ha ha.  The BF is gone ice fishing, looking forward to a quiet night!!

Linda

I only read a few threads during the week, so I don't really know what's going on.  Hi to everyone.

I woke up early and did (16) 200's.  Then, I went home & ate breakfast and went out for 10.5 long.  That 10 was the toughest run I've done in a long time.  I kept telling myself that I had ice at home and could take an ice bath.  I have never looked forward to an ice bath before in my life.

I have to go to basketball games, but I'll be back for personals.

Tessa:  This run is next weekend, but it seems like something right up your ally:   http://allwedoisrun.com/?page_id=161

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Anonymous Guest

Got my 8 in on the TM this morning. Shoveled the driveway, looked at the roads and determined it was a TM day. I watched "The Runner", a docimentary about David Horton, an ultra runner that ran the entire PCT in 67 days. Just amazing. I will probably watch it again since my TM is really loud, so even with the volume way up I still missed a lot of the words. The video was 77 minutes long, so perfect for my 8 mile run!

Good luck tomorrow Damaris! Are you racing this one or just running it?

Hi to all!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Mmmm. Made peanut butter banana bread with chocolate chips this afternoon. Enjoying a warm piece right now. This recipe is definitely a keeper - how do you make banana bread even better? - peanut butter and chocolate chips!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LC Runs

Hi Linda!

Karen - nice TM run.  MMmmmmmm, that bread sounds delish!!

15.6 beautiful snowy trail miles. I don't usually see snow mobiles at the trail head though.  2 very big fallen trees on the first loop. First one was so big there was no going around it so had to wipe snow off of it sit on it and swing legs over. 2nd one had room to go around it.. followed the snowmobile path.  Some part of trail had one other set of foot prints, some had been packed by snowmobile, and some by a few others ahead of us. Yaktrax were fully appreciated.

Ran with katy for first loop and part of second.  Going to invite her to join our group here.

On the grands. I KNOW that I could and probably should do more. If I were in a different place emotionally with dh, less demanding job, maybe I could/would.   I just don't have it in me to do it.  So much back history with step son of using us too.

Lisa

Hello to all.  Part of me is ready for January to be over, but part of me is saying NO, it can't be February already!!!  I'm still not running due to my cold... head feels stuffed with cotton, throat is raw from coughing.  I learned my lesson last year when I tried to run through a bad cold and ended up with bronchitis and aching (possibly busted) ribs.  But enough griping!

Lisa/MMR, love the snowy pics.  I've never run in snow before.   Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing you when you're in Mountain view in June!  I've had some ups and downs with 18 y/o SS, but we seem to have landed in a reasonably good place.  Wasn't easy, still isn't, but he and I both seem to have mellowed over the years.

Marjorie, I was just reading an article in the WSJ about doggie swimming lessons.  Apparently some dogs (particularly some breeds) don't doggie-paddle naturally and freak out around water, so need to be taught how to do it.  Made me think of your guy and his puppy pool.

Damaris, what are you running tomorrow (sorry I'm out of the loop)?  Have fun!

Tar Heel Mom, Cindy & LC Runs, I've been reading about crazy cold temps out there.  Good for you guys for getting your workouts in!

Linda, did you end up taking the ice bath?  I don't know if I could actually convince myself to climb into a icy cold tub.

Karen, that bread sounds yummy.  You have a link for the recipe by any chance?

Hi to everyone else!  Off to find a fresh tissue... [cough, cough, sniffle, hack...]

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Linda

Lisa:  What a beautiful run it must have been.

Amy:  One of my biggest fears is falling on my a@%$.  I had a bad fall once.  Be careful in all that ice.

Cindy:  I can’t do 6 miles on the TM.  Congrats.

Karen:  I will try to find that video.  It sounds interesting.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47