Womens Running

Wintry weekend (over 40) (Read 21 times)

camille2

Good morning! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

annieSusan

Good morning!

I had a decent TM 4 miles at the gym on Thursday. Yesterday I intended to spend some time on a spin bike there, but got caught up in something else and did not make it. I intend to start going to a spin class, but want to do one more shorter session first. Today will be a walk with DH before the really cold weather moves in, then maybe a quick trip to the grocery store for a couple of things I forgot yesterday, the hopefully some TM time. Schools are already announcing cancellations for Monday due to wind chill, so it is time to hunker down. Thank goodness for the TM in the basement.

AnnieSusan

Bikerchick1

Wintry weekend indeed!

Camille - Hope you are having a great week-end as well!

AnnieSusan - This seems like the winter is going to be a l-o-n-g one doesn't it!  We are bracing for many inches of snow, poor LisaMMR - (south of me) will even have more    Have you done spin class before?  If you haven't, just make sure your bike is adjusted properly....speaking from painful experience here....I did a spin class about 4 weeks ago and have problems ever since.   BTW - nice to see you posting!

Damarias - LOL on your comment "I am only doing the Full"...DH stress test went fine, thanks for asking.

I may attempt to do sneak a little run on the DM today....if there is any pain I will stop.

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Morning. Undecided on run. Was cold so I opted to wait until after puppy pool. But, I may decide not to run. We will see.

Carol ol we need to form a painful hip club. Although mine is better.

Morning everyone.

Marjorie

camille2

It's colder here in N GA than Anchorage-about 23 here and 29 above in Anchorage.  Yesterday afternoon was a nice winter day though-clear and crisp in 30's. We may get snow and ice tomorrow...forecast keeps changing.

Judy, that's an impressive number of minutes!

Carol, I had to smile about your marathon signup.  : ) It sounds like you're lucky to get in and it sounds like a nice race! I've never impulsively signed up for a race myself.    How was the hubby's stress test?

Laura, how many squats are you doing these days?  I'm so impressed with your core work.

Docket, I also wondered how your were force feeding the cats.  : )  My mom has an outside cat who adopted them and I can't even imagine force feeding her.

Karen, woo-hoo on running Goofy!

Marjorie, it is so nice to see double digit runs from you again! I'm glad you're better.

Lisa, there were a couple races I want to do offering great discounts in Jan.  Run at Mill half in spring and Detroit.  I asked PT about them early last week  and he said unless I have money to burn, he wouldn't sign up if they aren't refundable.  I'm still considering the International Half-surely I can walk it by then and it looks like it's filling fast.  BTW, it's really nice to see 15 from  you.  You're getting there!

I did my exercises and did 20 min walking with 10 sets of stairs.  I'm going to try 30" on the bike tomorrow. Hip  still has the odd catching pains-not as bad as when it started, but no change in past 2-3 weeks.  Frustrating.  I'm usually so cautious about not working out/running with pain that a few days off takes care of anything. I don't think I've been out this long from an injury in years.

Edit to add-I started this early and got sidetracked.

Carol, I'm glad your hubby's test was OK!

Hi Annie Susan. Stay warm!

LC Runs

Good Saturday Morning Ladies!!

4.2 outside today, was a 'balmy' 15 degrees with 20 mph winds.    I figured today was the best chance to get out there so I just did it.  Am trying to run every day this year, even if just a mile.

We are north of the storm, so only predicted 1-3 inches, but who knows...supposed to hit tonight.

Hi to Camille, AnnieSusan, Carol, Marjorie and everyone else!!

Off to play Yahtzee with the boys.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Well, a bit later, but still!  Ran my 6 last night but my ITB hurt from the twisted foot the day before.  Will try a run tonight and see, as the chiro worked on the area and it feels much better.

CAmille, enjoy your weekend!

Annie, Nice 4.

Marjorie, hope you got to run.

LC Runs, nice 4.2.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Nope. Decided showering twice was silly so I didn't run today. That is okay. I'm fine with taking extra days off still.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Damaris, would love to try to meet up with you before the marathon on Sunday. Have you looked at the weather - it has been all over the place.

Yes, I really like the Hanson plan. I'm thinking of trying to come up with a 12 week version to train for Boston, but may get lazy and just go with Pfitz 12/55. I liked 12/70 and it definitely got me results, but I don't think I have the time for that this winter. Hanson's was hard, but I liked the consistency of the plan, I liked that there were a lot of MP miles every week (their Tempo runs are really just MP runs, I liked that when it came to speedwork, they did the short stuff early and then switch to longer repeats as the plan went on - made more sense to do 1 or 2 mile repeats later in the plan than 600s. The 16 mile long run is a plus. It's not easy though - for example, my easy pace is around 9:30 minutes/mile, and I think they had me do my long runs (on already tired legs, of course) at 8:51. MP for me at the time was 8:12. The hardest part of the plan for me was they suggest not doing other races while training. I failed at that by doing a 50K, a 40 miler, a 10K, a half and a 5K or two.

annieSusan, are you getting more snow too or just the extreme cold temps?

Carol, be careful!

Camille, colder in GA than in Alaska - holy cow! That is really frustrating that the hip is still giving you problems.

Marjorie, that is what usually stops me from running doubles. It seems like a good idea, but then I think about extra laundry and another shower and it doesn't seem worth it. Extra rest days are probably a good thing for you right now after all your hip issues.

Laura, every day? Good for you! Do you have a treadmill or are you going to be running in Michigan winter every day for the next few months?

I blew off the 5K I was going to run this morning. It was a free entry, so at least I'm not out anything. I was going to try to break 21 minutes, but the roads are still bad and they even sent an email saying they weren't canceling because it was NPS property so they wouldn't be able to reschedule, but the roads had a lot of snow and ice on them so don't try to PR, take it easy and enjoy the race. I'm sorry, it's 8 degrees out, if I'm running a race it's to try to PR, not to hang out. Not in 8 degrees.

So instead I rode my bike on the trainer for an hour, then ran 7 miles on the TM.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Marjorie-I think it's ironic that you have the caption "Injuries Suck" under your avatar... considering your livelihood and all.   I did take two showers today. Once after my 90 minutes doing PT exercises (they loaded me up!) and then again after the snowy hike.

annieSusan-my dd is hoping for no school on Monday, probably will get her wish. Although I'm now only seeing 2-4 inches of snow on Monday with windchill putting us at -15.

Carol-hope your dm run was good.

Camille-you know you're welcome here if you do sign up for Detroit. Spots left but no more early bird pricing spots.

Laura-balmy is right.

Damaris-hope the leg feels better.

Did get out for a run this early afternoon since it was a tropical 30 degrees.  Pulling into lot and in comes Gene - he of Free Press elite access and DWD team captain fame.  He was there to walk / play with his dog on the trails so I put on Yak Trax and joined him.  Really couldn't have run anyway.  Kept jumping out of the way of the cross country skiers and trying not to get tangled in doggie leash.  Just about 4 miles of fun in the snow.  Hoping to get out tomorrow with the woman I ran NYE race with for some pavement before the snow and temp drops.

Have a good night ladies!

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Karen, yes.  In here, we have been in the mid 80s, so I am not expecting any miracles up there.  It should be between 60-70F if the weather continues like this (Orlando is a colder than us).  But it does not look good.

URD.  Better to rest the foot.

Lisa, nice run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So, has anyone done a hysterectomy laparoscopically?  I wonder how quickly can I go back to swing of things.  I have a 4 week off running mandate (although hubby is a doctor and says I could start as early as two weeks if I feel OK), then a 4 week Pfitz recovery-like program.  Then what?  Resume running if there are no issues or pain?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Greetings! Had a reasonably productive day today. Ran 8 miles with DH and RC, finished putting away Christmas stuff, and cleaned out two kitchen cabinets. DH bought a dryer off CraigsList and installed it this afternoon, to replace the one that went caput at the end of the week.  Very relieved not to have to bring wet laundry to Dad's house to dry it.

AnnieSusan, good luck getting through the cold front.  'Tis the season for the TM for large swaths of the country, it seems.

Carol, funny how marathon sign-ups just happen like that. I've heard good things about Bayshore.

Marjorie, an extra day off sounds like an excellent idea.

Camille, sorry to hear your hip  is still bugging you.  I'd be frustrated too.

LC, hope you had fun with the Yahtzee.

Damaris, I missed it, are you running Disney?  No info for you on hysterectomies.  But hope it helps!

Karen, I want to do more speedwork in my next training plan since I definitely saw benefits when I added a some to prepare for CIM.  Sounds like a fun Disney weekend in store for you.

Lisa,  30 degrees for your today?  Whew, toasty!  Were you wearing shorts with your Yak Trax!

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Gatsby, yes, I'm doing Disney!  Nice 8.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, Sis had a transvaginal hysterectomy and took six weeks off -- but Sis is not a runner. Not at all.

Balmy here. 70s. Sorry everyone! This morning's 21.5 was a nice run, I saw a hummingbird visiting every flower on one blooming shrub and a covey of quail.

Karen, skipping the race seems like a sensible decision -- how can you not try to race a 5K?

AnnieSusan, nice to see you.

Lisa, sounds like DD will get her wish -- that is cold!