Womens Running

Almost Spring weekend over 40 (Read 17 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Sure......

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I saw Lisa's fb post on the temp up there. Spring has to be coming

Marjorie

Good morning Marjorie and everyone else. I'm off to run 8 with my RC then will be back for personals.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

This is what Marjorie is referring to.  We actually missed taking a picture when it read -15, -16, and even -17 as we pulled into the lot the temp rose.  LOL  Headlamps to start but with the trail so perfectly packed by fat tire bikers and snowmobiles that we could switch them off quickly.  Run tights under another pair of pants run buddy literally took off of her butt to give to me when I picked her up.  Double layer was going to be needed for sure.  2 long sleeves, then backpack, then vest over it to keep it from freezing.  Balaclava with fleece hat over it and a scarf.  Double socks, yaktrax, and gloves with mitten covers.  ready to go!

Temps did rise and were 20 when we finished, which seems like a huge jump really but not like we were hot at the end.  My tube kept freezing so I had to shove it down my shirt and then zip up my fleece.  My balaclava kept freezing under chin area into weird wrinkled misshaped-ness so I had to keep trying to stretch/break/straighten it out or it didn't quite fit right.  Run buddy got a couple of pics then her phone froze.  I was able to get a few myself later.  EXTREMELY gorgeous.  When the sun came out the snow was SO white that it looked blue from the sky.  Phone was froze at that point so no pics of this phenomena.

15.3 for me with much walking last few miles.  The cold does sap the life out of me and breathing is so hard.  Plus giving blood a few days ago may make a difference.

Enjoy the view from your warm house!

sun coming up.

Not exactly sure why the water was steaming but I imagine that even though it was pretty much at the freezing point it was just that much warmer than the sub 0 air?  Made for a ghostly scene as we ran alongside it too. And coated the trees along the river with ice.  We do have our adventures!  Now home doing laundry, cleaning the house and catching up on work email.  So much for adventure.

Lisa

Oh... and the sound.  I can't forget to mention the way the snow sounded.  Just squeaky at times but also growling and even the exact sound that Styrofoam makes when you crush it.  Imagine taking an empty coffee cup and stepping on it. That sort of hollow squeaky sound.  We really did no talking for the entire 4 hours because of the noise of the snow and having our mouths covered.  And worth noting was that there was absolutely no wind.   It was cold and fairly stupid to do 15+ miles but glad that we did.  This facebook pic summed it up perfectly:

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ran 5.1. Picked up around the house. Did the laundry and made some homemade from scratch biscuits.  Lisa way too cold for me!  40s were fine for me today.

Gatsby when is your next race?

So so now my dad calls me to solve math problems?!?!  He was making something and needed to figure the angle since the wood lengths weren't the same. Good thing I really like math. He had figured the hypotenuse but couldn't figure out the angles. Guess he just couldn't remember how. Instead of Google he calls me. I'm his new Google, I guess.

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - 40's would be wonderful at this point in the winter!  Funny that your Dad calls you with questions about math...is that something he normally would know?

Lisa - Pictures are beautiful!  You two had quite a run....kudo's for getting out there in the cold for all those miles!

Got home from conference late last night.  It was cold in Nashville, but 30's to us is warm.  I did run on the TM a few times, and went for a run yesterday am outside before we left.  Got back to hotel and there was a firedrill and the elevators were stopped.  I had to hoof it up to the 20th floor,....whew.  LR with RB's tomorrow.

Hi to all, I didn't have a change to read posts all week, so hope all is good for everyone!

Carol

Anonymous Guest

Back to old house tonight, for the next two weeks. My gosh, is time going fast. I wish I'd done my long run this morning before we left, because now we have snow and ice pellets predicted for pretty much all day tomorrow. I hope I can get my 17 in before it starts to stick. The next month is going to be so busy, and work is just hard right now. I would like to take a nap and wake up in a month or so with everything done while I was out. Second guessing my April marathon as I just can't seem to get the miles in this winter.

Tonight is my running club's annual banquet, but we got back too late and are too tired to go. Someone posted a picture of the championship series awards they'll be giving out.......I hope I can figure out a way to pick mine up before leaving town.

Lisa, your pictures are gorgeous. No way in hell I'd be out there running in that, but it is pretty from my warm house.

Hi Gatsby, Marjorie, Carol!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Hello everyone.  I did 10 miles today -- a little farther than planned.  We had a little bit of drizzle today but not enough to make a dent in our drought.  Went and heard some live music this afternoon with a friend at a small local venue.  Planning on doing a 11 mile trail run tomorrow morning.

I recall someone had a half marathon this weekend?  Whoever that was, I hope it went well!

Lisa, I love that crunchy/squeaky snow sound.  Can't remember the last time I heard it, though.  Sounds like you had a great run.  Good thing the wind stayed away!

Karen, bet you're glad to be back in the land of winter (NOT!).

Marjorie, my next race is a trail marathon on 3/22, then I'm pacing a friend for part of her 50 miler on 4/3.

Carol, hiking up 20 flights of stairs counts for something!

Hope everyone else is out enjoying the weekend!

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 8.6 miles this afternoon. It was sunny, but we still had to pick our way around icy patches left over from last week's storm. The boys have gone to school only 3 of the last 10 snow days. And...we're supposed to get freezing rain overnight. Ugh.

Thanks to those who asked about DH's job search. Last week was a discouraging week. First, he found out he wouldn't be considered for a job he applied for. We knew it was a long shot - he had some aspects of the experience they were looking for, but not others. Then, after coming down to the wire for another position, the company went with an internal candidate. The person he interviewed with told DH that he made it a really difficult decision, so that made him feel a little bit better, plus, there were things about it that DH had concerns about, but still. I'm trying to focus on being supportive and have faith that the right thing will come along.

Lisa - I can't imagine running in temps that cold. I'm impressed. And the pics are beautiful.

Marjorie - mmm, biscuits. I love them with honey.

Carol - did you get to do any sightseeing in Nashville? I was there years ago for work but didn't really get to see much.

Karen - congrats on the new house! I can't believe it's almost time for you to move. I can sympathize on the work front - I'm working on my biggest project of the year, and it's coming down to crunch time.

Gatsby - we wound up running a bit farther than we meant to as well - had to detour to find a bathroom for RB.

Off to bed. I'm singing a duet in church tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous about it!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

ginnyb

Lisa....the pics are beautiful.  Believe it or not, I think if we lived closer I would have run that with you.  As long as I dressed for it the cold isn't )THAT bad to run in, especially when there is not wind, I have run in those temps before.  You're not crazy, well maybe a little, but then aren't we all?

Did 8 on the TM again this morning.  We got about 3 inches of snow overnight and it is still snowing, but the temps aren't bad.

As to Spring, Nope, don't think it is coming this year.

Have a crockpot with pork and sauerkraut cooking today, can't wait to eat.

Oh, did not run the 5K yesterday, our dog, Beau, has been feeling really not himself, so much so that I was really worried about him yesterday, so had to take him to the vet.  Of course, as soon as we were there he was acting like there was never anything wrong.  He did have a slight temperature, so the vet did blood work, but doesn't seem to be anything wrong.  He is better today, but still kind of lethargic,  Darn animals!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran 7 miles yesterday and 18 with 3 X 3 @ MP this morning.  Went to see Seinfeld last night; good show.

Marjorie, nice workout yesterday.

Gatsby, nice 10 yesterday.

Lisa, great pictures.

Carol, sounds like a nice trip.

Karen, hope you got your 17.

Cindy, good luck with the duet today!

Ginny, nice TM run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I really didn't want to run. Miserably cold and raining but went and did 5.1. Only a few cars out too. They only looked at me like I was mildly nuts.

Gatsby nice of you to help pace someone

Cindy that sucks. Ben there more than I'd like. Dh has been out of work several times over the years. Luckily with the fire dept ere he has been there for 15 years. Before that I think we had 4 different times with him not working.

Carol no. Dad is typically really good at math. I get my math skills from him. Early on, in his 20s,  he was a draftsman so figuring angles etc he is good at. I think since the sides were such odd numbers and he doesn't have a scientific calculator he was just sick of trying to figure it out and called me.

Lisa pretty to look at but too cold for me

Damaris I'd love to see Seinfeld. Glad it was good show

Ginny silly Bassets. Ours do that too.  They will be excited this week. They get to go to camp. Dh has a conference and I have an overnight trip. They haven't gotten to go to camp for a long time so they will be excited. And, we will see if Hammy has lost his excess weight

Karen the time will fly. Just take it day by day

Waves to everyone.

Marjorie

7 more balmy miles this morning at a different state park.  I liked that we sort of had little snow banks about a foot high.  Dusting of snow looked like Ivory Snow flakes and were all sparkly.  More great trail conditions!  We were first on the trail today but many cars in lot when leaving of hikers, skiers, bikers, and runners.

Marjorie-funny about the pups being excited for camp!  at least dad is calling you...

damaris-I bet he was funny!  nice job on the run!

Carol-firedrill would NOT be fun!

Karen-you'll just have to come back and run in snow again...once you've gotten tired of the heat...like in 5 years.

Gatsby-nice trail miles!

Cindy-sorry to hear about dh's job disappointment.  Hang in there.

Ginny-the snow makes the otherwise rocky and rooty trail nice and smooth.  As long as our fat tire bikers have been out.  the cold gets to be just so annoying at times.  All of the layers, things freezing so not laying correctly, just bulky and dirty from salt.  We put Aquafore on face and were really well covered.  Regreted not grabbing run buddies kids' ski goggles though.  They would have been nice.

Lisa

After a little drizzle, we are back to full sun today.  Feels like spring's been here for  several weeks, but unfortunately we do not want or need spring yet.  I ran 10.6 trail miles with some RC friends this morning.  It was a fire road so nothing technical, although it was uphill the entire way out (which means downhill all the way back, wheee).

Cindy, I don't know if this will make you feel any better but your DH's job search experience sounds completely normal to me.  Hang in there, something will come along.

GInnyB, nice TM miles. Glad your dog is feeling better.

Damaris, nice MP miles!  Seinfeld sounds like fun.

Marjorie, funny that your pups love camp so much.  Do they enjoy the other dogs?  Or the people there?

Lisa, that snowy trail looks really pretty.  MTA: remind me what week you and Tessa are going to be in Mountain View?

Waves to everyone else.  Off to take care of laundry and other chores.