Womens Running

Hopeful weekend (over 40) (Read 24 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Camille, thanks for posting the link, I don't think they will get this far south -- we are at 33' north.

Welcome Fran! I'm Tessa, insurance broker in southern California, 49, married with two kids (20 yo DD and 17 yo DS), running for some time and always up for rationalizing a race, a long run, or disappointing results from same.

6 this morning with friend who wussed out before we got to the top of the mountain, then after breakfast with her I had an hour before haircut appt so did another 5. Then home and lotsof housework and cooking.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry I was MIA yesterday but I was busy!  So as punishment, I'm going to do shoutouts to all three pages, ay ay ay.

Off to do 13 miles.  I did a 5K yesterday (RR in my blog is interested).  The TLBig grinR version:  My first 5K without albuterol and I had no asthma attacks.  It was 84F and 74 dewpoint so it was hot and muggy.  I finished in 27:22, super slow compared to my PR but I was very happy with my performance and couldn't have run any faster for the conditions.  I did get congestion during the last mile and felt like I was drowning in my own chest congestion and coughed a lot but I hold on to the pace and put one foot in front of the other and finished.  Usually at that point, I need albuterol, but I felt I was OK.  Still, I finished around the same time as prior slow 5Ks in hot conditions, but did it without stopping to use the inhaler so I call this a win!

Ginny, I'm hopeful the weather is good for you today!

Cindy, hope your 7 miles went well.

Marjorie, sounds like things are coming together and are more calmed.

Lisa, I am sorry your shakeout run gave you more issues.  Hope the leg feels better.

Julie, sorry you had to do your LR inside, but hope it went well.  Thanks for the avatar comment.  It's a picture my dad took last year when he came by for a visit.  We were in South Beach.

Carol, good luck on the HM!

LC Runs, nice 6 miles.  Sorry for such a busy week.  And for the truck.

OK, on to page 2....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Karen, sorry about your stomach and on missing the race.  Feel better.  Are you doing Goofy?  For the first time in three years, I'm only doing the marathon, but if you're coming I might get to meet you!

Gatsby, great 15ish run!

camille, great job on the race.  Thanks for the information on the Northern Lights.

THM, I am glad to see you posting again.  Sorry for all the work issues.  Hope things improved.

Linda, great interval session.

annieSusan, congrats on the weight loss.  Keep it up.

sue, great job on the 5K.

And on to page 3....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Tessa!!!!!  Nice 6.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

Happy Sunday,

This sounds so lazy and slug-like, but I am thinking about skipping my run today.  I really don't feel lazy, or don't want to go, but my DH is gone to a class this morning In Toledo, and I want to enjoy the house and for one day, not have to shower, put on makeup etc....don't you all get tired of it sometimes?  I just want to not have to do anything.  Just do some chores around the house, maybe run to Kohls...I don't know.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

g'morning ladies!

Gotta get ready for church shortly, so here's a bit of a check in.

Went to the indoor track to do my long run yesterday.  At about 3 miles, my right foot, on the top left side of my arch started to hurt (right about where it joins the ankle).  I tried to ignore it.  But, it was a new pain and it wasn't going away.  I walked a little and tried to stretch the top of my foot.  I managed to get in a total of 4.4 before I decided that the pain wasn't going away and that I probably wasn't doing it any good.

Fast forward to getting dressed for dinner and taking off my sneakers.  I found a fairly large stone/pebble lodged in the treads of the heel of my running shoe, right under where the pain was.  Is it possible that the stone caused the problem?  Am I like a princess & the pea?? lol

My foot is still a bit sore this morning.  I'm hoping than an SRD will fix it!

Lisa - Haha on "don't like to get dirty"   .... Just call me the dirt diva - Diva by day, dirt devil at the starting gun! Smile   Sorry about your extreme forced taper.  Injuries are our bane the older we get.  I'm hoping mine doesn't derail my efforts to make it to a 10K this summer.   Finally - "Have intervention, will travel"  LOL

Carol - I deal with gators in the water all the time.  Oh wait... that's just work.

Marjorie - well, Lisa and I can come and do an intervention if you get too sucked in!  Wink

Karen - Let me know the dates of your trip to FL!  DWD or Ragnar would be fun to seriously consider.   If not 2014, then maybe 2015.  WOW... 2015.  Jeeze, I remember when we were all freaked out about Y2K.  seems like yesterday

Camille - VERY cool RR.   I love the bands and the moving cheer vans!  What a great idea.  I would love it if you would post a pic of some dogwoods.  I miss them!

Linda - Nooooo, I hate the TM!!  I did my run on the indoor track at the college.  I teach at the college, so I have privileges.  SO grateful.  I trained there all winter and got a PR on my first 5K out of the blocks!  So, as boring as it is, I guess it works!

Blessings to you all!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Anonymous Guest

camille, what a lovely-sounding race. Love it when you run across a race and it turns out to be so nice. 

Amy, good to see you back! Glad you are able to get out of the rental. We're trying to decide whether to put our house on the market this summer, which would mean renting for a year or so. 

Linda, everything I've read lately says keep the intensity but just ease up on total mileage during a taper. I'm interested to hear how this works for you.

annieSusan, I'm with you on myfitnesspal. A pain in the butt when you start, but it gets much easier once you get some of your recipes in. Lately I've been making a lot of recipes from web sites like skinnytaste.com, and have found that somebody else has already put the recipe into the database. I still use mfp to maintain and as a reminder to keep my mindless snacking under control. Congrats on your weight loss.

crazysue, congrats on second in AG! And congrats to DD on her PR....sub-30 in next for her. If you guys decide to do Dopey (or any part of it) next year let me know, I'll definitely be there.

Damaris, yes I'm doing Goofy! My parents used to take my sister's kids to Disneyworld every year when they were younger (they are 14 and 16 now). They have a timeshare thing that they use, so last year I suggested a big family vacation (my brother's nephew will be almost 5 in January) where we all go to Disney. So they have reserved a 4-bedroom condo, my sister and sister-in-law have agreed to do the half and I am going to do Goofy (to get my Florida marathon). Then if I haven't gotten a different job, I'll be back in Florida in February for our annual meeting. IF it works like this last one, I'll be there for the weekend of the Miami marathon....hmm.

Ginny, yes, I would love a day like that. Although I have gotten my lifestyle pretty low maintenance - I only wear makeup for things like weddings. Probably haven't worn it in over a year.

Julie, I read an article a little bit ago called something like 5 mistakes to avoid when running. I think I did three of them, but one was that you shouldn't carry a handheld, because something that small can change your balance slightly and mess up your gait. So maybe the rock in your shoe was enough to bother your foot. Also, I will be in Florida, near Miami, the week before Ragnar. Oh so tempting.

Okay, need to get a move on.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Julie, hope your foot feels better. Maybe the pebble/lack of flexibility made the laces feel tighter?  Wild guess.  : )  Hope it feels better.  I didn't take any pictures during the race and the dogwoods up here have barely started blooming. Maybe next week..

Demaris, congrats on your 5k!

Tessa, I think I'd wuss out on a mountain with you, too.  : )  I picture you as this iron woman who just keeps going and going....

Karen, really...no handheld?  My little water bottle is like my security blanket. I use a Spi-belt, but the waist packs I tried annoyed me, though I have  a small one I use for hiking.

Laura and Carol, hope you're having/had a great race!

Linda, how awful that your car was a hit/run.  Totally understand just getting it fixed-a happier and easier life is worth a lot! I'm interested in how the new taper turns out.

Marjorie, how nice that your hubby is training for a half!  That's exciting!

Amy, I'm glad your hubby got a contract and that you'll be getting your own space.

Sue, congrats on the 5k.

AnnieSusan...you and Karen are making a good case for MFP.  I tried it for a few days a year or two ago, but it seemed a pain...and I don't cook from scratch. Great you stuck with it!

Gotta get some stuff done! Have a great day!

Linda

Here is the link to the article about tapering:  http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/tapering-your-training-is-a-key-factor-in-recovering-from-heavy-training-and-preparing-for-competition-503.  I am going to add a few extra miles today, because I want 150 miles for the month.  I did very few miles this week, because of weather and injury & that really screwed up my month.  I hadn't intended on doing such a hard taper, so that, too, will screw up my mileage.  I may only get 145 miles this month, but I am going to try for 150.

Karen & Julie (water conversation):  I don't like carrying water when I run.  If I am road racing, even a half, I won't carry anything.  I've started carrying water on 8+ runs out of necessity.  I'm not really very thirsty, but I can't get enough water down in the couple of hours before I go to sleep, so if I don't drink when I run I wake up with a headache. When I do carry water, it is always a handheld.  I can't stand all the jiggling on my waist.  I usually dump the handheld before it is finished because I don't like the jiggling in my hand.  I have the luxury of choosing when to take water, because I live in a cool climate and I mostly run on the road.  If it were hot, I'd have to get over it Smile

Damaris:  Hot weather can do a number with asthma.  It sounds like a good race for you even if it wasn't a PR.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Docket_Rocket

I'm doing that one too.  Hope you get to travel to Miami!

camille, what a lovely-sounding race. Love it when you run across a race and it turns out to be so nice. 

Amy, good to see you back! Glad you are able to get out of the rental. We're trying to decide whether to put our house on the market this summer, which would mean renting for a year or so. 

Linda, everything I've read lately says keep the intensity but just ease up on total mileage during a taper. I'm interested to hear how this works for you.

annieSusan, I'm with you on myfitnesspal. A pain in the butt when you start, but it gets much easier once you get some of your recipes in. Lately I've been making a lot of recipes from web sites like skinnytaste.com, and have found that somebody else has already put the recipe into the database. I still use mfp to maintain and as a reminder to keep my mindless snacking under control. Congrats on your weight loss.

crazysue, congrats on second in AG! And congrats to DD on her PR....sub-30 in next for her. If you guys decide to do Dopey (or any part of it) next year let me know, I'll definitely be there.

Damaris, yes I'm doing Goofy! My parents used to take my sister's kids to Disneyworld every year when they were younger (they are 14 and 16 now). They have a timeshare thing that they use, so last year I suggested a big family vacation (my brother's nephew will be almost 5 in January) where we all go to Disney. So they have reserved a 4-bedroom condo, my sister and sister-in-law have agreed to do the half and I am going to do Goofy (to get my Florida marathon). Then if I haven't gotten a different job, I'll be back in Florida in February for our annual meeting. IF it works like this last one, I'll be there for the weekend of the Miami marathon....hmm.

Ginny, yes, I would love a day like that. Although I have gotten my lifestyle pretty low maintenance - I only wear makeup for things like weddings. Probably haven't worn it in over a year.

Julie, I read an article a little bit ago called something like 5 mistakes to avoid when running. I think I did three of them, but one was that you shouldn't carry a handheld, because something that small can change your balance slightly and mess up your gait. So maybe the rock in your shoe was enough to bother your foot. Also, I will be in Florida, near Miami, the week before Ragnar. Oh so tempting.

Okay, need to get a move on.

karen

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Leg is feeling better. Meaning that at least I'm just limping. Hurts to drive, right leg.

Love packing to go places that are warm. So much more room in the suitcase. Plus, I'm hoping Tessa will let me do a load of laundry and that she will likely have a throw-away coat if I need one... or will stop me by a thrift store to pick one up.

Snow flurries again today and some rain.  Must be another softball game for dd. Nice.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

23.4 miles for me. I was very tired this am so left late to run. Since it was overcast it wasn't too bad.

Julie no intervention needed. I'm staying positive that this will all be for the best.  I've had a stone catch on the treads when running. It does throw stuff off. The shoes I use now gets little pebbles all the time. Most the time it just just an annoying click sound when it his the ground until it finally works out or lodges enough to stop. There are a few though that make my run hard and change the gait so I have to stop and dislodge them.

Karen you'll do fine with Goofy. Heck I bet you could do Dopey too. But 4 races so close together would be taxing.

Lisa glad the leg is better.

Camille we will see. D H hasn't done much distance. We will see if he can get up to over 10 this summer and the 12 ish or so before during the fall.

Damaris nice job on the 5k.

Ginny it is okay to skip a run.

Marjorie

LC Runs

Happy Sunday Ladies!

Back and showered from my Half this morning.  It was a very l..o...n...g. race lol.  My friend that wanted me to run it with her had problems starting at mile 3.  From 3-13.1 we ran/walked.  I have to admit it was more difficult than I thought it would be running a slower pace than usual.  But, it certainly gave us time to catch up with each other ha ha!  I saw Carol at the start line and then during the race.  She looked to have a great pace going on Smile  They had to change the race course a bit due to road flooding and even then we still had to run about 1/10th of a mile through water.  Ugh, my feet were soaked and I was afraid I might end up with blisters, but my feet are okay.   Luckily, I had brought a change of socks and shoes so I changed once I got to the car.

And because I'm crazy, I'm heading out in a bit to run 4 with my local running group.   My quads are actually somewhat sore from the starting and stopping during the race.

Hope you all are having a nice day.  Smile

Rse

Saturday was LongRun for me  the big :35 minutes, which means I'm improving. Yay.  My log is public. It's taken some time to get this far.  I've Started-then-stopped a few times in the past 3 years. I find I have trouble getting past the 2-month mark.

Sunday - Today I'm going to walk-only  :10 minutes.

Everyone - Thanks for the Welcome. You're all very friendly!

LC - Congrats on your HM today!

Fran

Anonymous Guest

Laura, I noticed my quads were sore for a couple days after my slow half on Sunday, never considered it was because I was going slow. But that makes sense.

Camille, I know, I love my handheld too. I'm not putting too much stock in the article, I remembered another thing I apparently do wrong - I take my running shoes off without untying them. I think they said over time that was bad for your ankles? Well, I've been doing it for five years and mine seem okay....

Damaris, nice 5K yesterday and nice run today.

I ended up running 15 with 10 at marathon pace. It was just such a beautiful day to run. Was a heck of a workout as it gave me 65 miles for the week, which for me is a lot.

Nice mileage today Marjorie.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel