Womens Running

Flip-Flop Friday (Over 40) (Read 16 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

The very best of wishes to you all in this New Year.

We can go either way. Both ways are good.

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Wednesday was SDO. The foot is definitely liking a day off now and then. The PF is responding very well to the good arch supports and the rolling. The massaging really does make a difference. PF is noticeably better. :::taps head::: “knock wood”.

Thursday I went with a friend and did 35 minutes running on the track. The first two laps I felt in the heel, but after that the whole run was good. There was an elderly woman on the inside lane slowly walking along with her walker. I stopped, hugged and commended her for her coming and exercising. She said that when she comes she feels so much better that day.

Today I will either do the track or come home and do the TM.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Bikerchick1

Judy - How wonderful of you to stop and hug the older woman at the track!  I'm sure that made her day....

Off to work and then 12 with RB's.  The weather is turning bad here for tomorrow, ice/snow mix - so we don't want to do LR in that mess.

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Sore from yesterday. I used new shoes. My first several runs in a new pair is always hard until the toe box gets a little less stiff. After 5 miles my feet get sore. Also add that I got a headache yesterday afternoon which I generally don't get so I decided not to run today

Tessa nice 21 miles!  Way to start the year. Movies and other media often give people strange ideas. There can be too many on the trail

yuck on the impending weather Carol

Gatsby we are glad you found us too.

Marjorie

Tessa-You'll have to be in hike mode when you join me for the 50k.  Do you have ANY advice (DOES ANYONE?) on how a Michigander can train for the elevation and elevation gain/loss?   It was the book Wild, that prompted the 2 women I met last spring to do PCT so no surprise that there will be more coming because of the movie.  Hoping SoCal is prepared for the influx.  I'm sure that it won't take long for the scavengers and vermin of the world to figure this out as well and be ready to prey on high tech but low common sense outfitted hikers.

I'm calling that one early.  Nice run/hike btw.

Camille-sounds like a good day for you!

Judy-sounds like good day for you and nice to be giving out hugs!

Carol-we need to plan another Poto trip!

Marjorie-well, you do resolve to be as awesome as ever so there is that!  :-)

Damaris-Thanks for bringing our average age down.  LOL

Ginny-how did the rally go?  Nice TM miles!

Tried out my snow shoes yesterday along the lake.  A few ice fishermen, snowmobiles, and many wind snowboarders.  The pics didn't come out too great and I didn't want to chance phone freezing.  They use parasails, snowboards and harnesses to zoom back and forth on the frozen lake.  I had waited until the temp rose to 22 degrees but because of the 18 mph winds the feel was 9.  3 layers of run tights/pants, long down coat, 2 layers of gloves, ski goggles, neck buff pulled up over nose, and fur lined hood over hat.  I was either ready for Northern Michigan or an Artic Exploration.  I knew that I wouldn't be going fast so dressing was more of a challenge than usual.  What a work out though!   Basically like a super high resistance setting on an elliptical type of machine.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Managed 12.12 miles last night.  Pilates and 5 tonight, maybe heavy weights if I have time after that.

Judy, yay for the PF being better.

Carol, enjoy the 12 later.

Tessa, nice 21.

Marjorie, enjoy the rest.

Lisa, sounds great!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Happy New Year!

Started off the year with a short run yesterday.  Swam this morning.  The heater is still out!!!  I jumped in and nearly peed.  Still a little brisk when I finished--I never did totally warm up. 

SugarLand

Happy New Year to Everyone!!!

Started out the New Year with a half-marathon - 43 degress and rain - was a little chilly for me - my RB & I started this tradition 7 years ago to run the Kingwood Marathon - Half-Marathon on New Year's day -

Karen you will have to join us next year

also I have sign up for the Bingham 100 day challenge - wish me luck -

Vicki

Anonymous Guest

Hey all,

Back at work - first day for the new boss. So far, so good. I kind of wasted my day off yesterday (or I was just exhausted and needed sleep), I slept until almost noon, then napped again in the afternoon! I had a lot of things I wanted to do, but I just had no energy. Feeling much better today. And the new boss is closing the office early since there are only three of us here, so I should be able to get home in time for a short run before dark.

Vicki, I would love to join you next New Year's Day! I'm thinking I'll run Houston next year, so a half would probably be a perfect last tuneup race before that. Well, that's assuming I get my marathon times back under 4 hours so I don't have to go the lottery route for Houston.

(Edited to add: I just looked at the Houston website and qualifiers must be January 2014 or later, so I can use Boston!)

Lisa, that sounds really cold, but a good workout. I guess if you're stuck with cold, snowy weather, best to embrace it!

Judy, glad the PF is responding well. Continue to take care of it, it has a tendency to linger. I learned last week that mine is not quite ready for a 40 mile week yet, and am cutting back this week.

Carol, smart to do the 12 today. We're supposed to have rain all weekend so I may go without a long run. My foot would probably thank me for it.

Marjorie, sounds like a rest day today is a good call. I PM'd you my flight information - I lost a bunch of contact info on my phone recently, so this or fb are the only contact info I have for you.

D, nice run yesterday.

Susan, they need to fix that heater! Good for you for sticking with it though. If I remember correctly, you have a group doing IMTX, right? When it gets closer and you've got your schedule worked out, I'd love to get together if you have some spare time while you're there. I have another friend doing it - she's flying in Wednesday and staying at my house, then moving to a hotel for the weekend so she's "in the middle of things". I'm planning on spectating somewhere, so I should see you on the course if nothing else.

Tessa, your run on the PCT sounds nice. The thought of that many people trying to hike it though....not so good.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Judy, good for you for acknowledging that lady's dedication. I'm sure you made her feel good!

Carol, glad you can change your schedule to accomodate the weather. I wouldn't want to run in ice/snow mix either.

Marjorie, what shoes are you wearing? Could you soften them up in advance? (Put them on the driveway and run over them with the car a few times, maybe?)

I think there will likely be a lot of people starting at the southern end of the trail, but they will likely not get too far. PSA: if you know anyone who is planning to hike PCT this year, suggest they have a support system in place because I think there will be predators waiting for hikers who decide they can't go on and figure they can hitchhike back to civilization. NO.

Lisa, not sure about the elevation itself -- how have you done with elevation in the past? Have you been to Denver, for instance? That's quite a bit higher than Leona Divide gets. Karen, did Shadow affect you a lot? I don't remember it being a big problem for you and you live at sea level and Shadow starts at 5500', the year you did it we didn't get up to 7800' but most of it was above 4000' I think.

As far as ups/downs, Potto and other rolling trails should be helpful. Does the gym have a stairmonster -- stair treadmill? Those are really tough and a few sessions on that might help. For the downhills, I suggest going down flights of stairs. Ask the hotels you stay at for a room on a high floor and use the stairs rather than the elevator. Both ways. Treadmills are useful for the uphills. And YES I will be hiking rather than running a lot of it. RN fell yesterday, not hurt badly just a grazed palm, and I was scared of getting hurt so was not running when the trail was rocky.  One good thing about Leona Divide is that the first part (Spunky Edison to Bouquet) is higher and that will be the cooler part of the day. You know of course that the weather is a crapshoot in southern California most of the year.

Snowshoes sound like a good workout too! Not to mention that carrying all that clothing on your person should be considered strength training.

Damaris, nice 12! Any change in DH's attitude towards Paris?

Susan/crazysue, you should have peed. It might have warmed the pool up just a little! Can't believe they have not fixed the heater yet. RN and I were happy to have missed the Polar Bear Plunge at the community aquatic center -- down the waterslide into the unheated outdoor rec pool. Considering it started at 9 AM and the air temperature then was 29 degrees they might have been breaking ice before starting the event. And the photographer from the local paper there to get pics of people exposing winter white/holiday pudgy flesh in their bathing suits. Not me, Coach. I hope the water in the shower was hot for you after the swim.

Vicki, starting the year off with a half sounds good also! Good luck with the challenge. Are you doing Houston this month?

Karen, sucks to lose the info on the phone. (That happened to me last March.) Hope the PF can be banished for good. Yay on getting out early!

No run this morning, I didn't feel like venturing out into 28 and windy, but will run at lunchtime. It is absolutely dead here.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Got it Karen.  I sent you back a message with all my info in it too.

Tessa, they are Asic Gel Nimbus.  But my running shoes have always been like that the first couple runs the toe box isn't as giving as I want it to be.  After two or three runs then it is fine.  The only shoes that didn't do that were much less supportive and maybe a touch minamalist.  With those, I  will hurt other places or get hurt so I don't wear those type shoes. I need at least a little support.

Marjorie

annieSusan

Happy New Year, everyone!

I had a decent 8 mile run earlier this week, then a cold 5 miles on New Year's Eve. I only intended to do 4, but ended up a ways from home and didn't want to get too chilled by walking the rest of the way. This morning the sun was out and the wind had died down, so I ran another 5 in a local preserve. Ran some trails that I have never been on before. They were very pretty! Since there is no snow, some of these trails are still accessible and it was a lovely run.

Tessa, that sounds like a beautiful hike on the PCT. I read Wild when it first came out--I think it was when Camille recommended it-- and I remember thinking "darn, now that trail will be overrun with young women on a quest to find themselves, probably a bunch with no hiking experience,  and that's a trail that I would like to hike someday!" Now with the movie coming out, it may really be something. Although I am sure you are right, and most of the pressure will be on the southern end.

Lisa, nice pictures from your snowshoe adventure! I have snowshoes and like them a lot. Didn't get out as often as I wanted last year, though. Do you use poles? I find them very helpful.

Susan, whoa, that sounds like a cold swim!

judy, glad to hear of your PF improvement.

Vicki, nice half marathon and cool tradition.

marjorie, hoping your shoes break in fast. At least you know what to expect, right?

Hi Carol, Demaris, Karen, and anyone I missed.

Docket_Rocket

I am back in the evening, miracle!  Ended up with Pilates and 6 miles.  No weights, as she worked the same muscles I was going to work with the weights pretty thoroughly.

Sue, sorry about the heater being out.  Nice swim.

SugarLand, congrats on the HM.

Karen, hoping the new boss is better than the old.

Tessa, he will love it, I am sure.  For now, he will protest.  Hope you enjoyed your rest day.

Annie, nice runs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Back in Detroit with no snow and looking at those pics still make me cold.  It is a bit odd of a feeling to have been out snow shoeing many yards from shore and here the lakes aren't even frozen.  As a teen we always cross country skied on the river in front of my house so it took me back to that time. Skiing is much easier than snow showing though.

Tessa-only thing I've done at elevation is walk Labor of Love.  I remember wondering why I was breathing harder than normal when just walking and you told me that since we were elevation and walking the slow incline up that would do it. I do plan on using the stairs a lot and the new stairclimbers that are going into our remodeled Planet Fitness.

AnnieSusan-lucky you on new trails!  I did use the poles... that was another element of the workout I hadn't expected!

Damaris-glad to have you back!

Karen and Vicki-need to find a nice trail race near Houston.  I know my run buddy loves Bandera but that's San Antonio.

Lisa

Lisa