Womens Running

Finally Friday - Supermoms (Read 32 times)

CTimesTwo

CA - can you post the sweet and sour pork recipe?  or a link?  i'm always looking for good slow cooker recipes to try...

superspike113

Honorary Old

RR: 5.23 miles last night. It was a tad windy but I didn't care since I didn't have the stroller with me. That run saved my sanity, I would have been a newspaper headline if I hadn't have gone.

TR: Apparently he has decided that he hates the girl in the wheelchair that goes to his daycare after school sometimes. Freaks out and wants to be held as long as she's inside. He never seemed to mind her before. Took him with me to the allergist yesterday, his godmother works there now so he was stoked yet confused since my sister, niece/nephew, and my mom were all there for their shots too.

FR: Last night was GF macaroni and cheese, chicken apple sausage, and peas. Not sure about tonight, I think I need to thaw something. Maybe buffalo burgers. Need to bake cookies and start working on those crazy meatballs and stuff tonight too.

NRR: 2 workdays of tax season. Once its over, I am definitely taking a day off to regroup.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

superspike113

Honorary Old

Ernie- Can you post your bulgogi/Korean BBQ recipe you used yesterday?

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

Sweet and Sour Pork (from Best of Bridge slow cooker book)

1 14 oz can pineapple

1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder cut into cubes

1 large onion chopped

3 cloves garlic minced

2 cups sliced mushrooms

2 tbsp tom paste

1 large carrot sliced

1 stalk celery sliced

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp corn starch

3 tbsp cold water

1 red pepper

Drain pineapple, reserving juice.  Set Aside.

In a skillet heat half the oil over medium high heat, brown pork in batches.  Using a slotted spoon transfer to slow cooker.  Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil.  Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and tomato paste; cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.  Stir in pineapple juice, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour over pork.  Stir in carrot, celery, brown sugar, broth, vinegar and soy sauce.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs or on high for 3-4 hours until pork is tender.  In a small bowl combine cornstarch and cold water.  Stir into slow cooker  Stir in Red pepper and reserved pineapple.  Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes until thickened.

If you're looking for a good slow cooker book this one is great - I don't know if Best of Bridge is a canadian thing or not though....  I bought it at costco.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

Marathonjen

Spike - You totally deserve a day or week to regroup and relax.  You have had so much on your plate lately.  You FR sounds amazing...now I am CRAVING mac & cheese with sausage or hot dogs...so unhealthy of meWink  Awesome job getting your run in...I am sure it felt awesome to get out there.  Sorry R is freaked out by the girl at daycare...hopefully it is a short-lived phase.  J still freaks out in any bath tub other than his usual and we can't figure out if it is depth or what.

QUESTION on what to wear?? - Since I am a whimp and typically do my run on a TM when the weather is not nice...wth do I wear tomorrow?  1/2 marathon starts at 8 a.m.  The forecast says 35 degrees but feels like 25 with 17mph winds gusting at times to 35 mph.  There is a 50% chance of rain/snow mix.  Over the 2 hours I plan to be out there the wind is supposed to increase to 23 mph.  Thoughts?  I am thinking tights, l/s tshirt, pull over (it's thin) and wind breaker, gloves, headband.  I should have conditioned better but really didn't think these would be the conditions in mid-April.

moxieluvah

jen/mer - have a great weekend and a fun race! I hope the weather cooperates!

waves to everyone else! sorry I am so lame and never have time to post anymore!

runnergirl9508

I only ended up going a bit over 7 today. DH said he didn't mind me switching LR to Sunday. Usually I let him have all day Sunday to work around the house and I take care of R. I felt kinda guilty taking Sunday morning up with my LR, but hey it's gotta get done!!

Jen: I think that sounds like a good plan for your race outfit, esp considering the wind.

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

superspike113

Honorary Old

zorbs- I hate flat ironing. Are you gonna get one of those chi ones? I'm too cheap. My sister gave me a Conair one she tried and didn't like and it works for me because I use it maybe once a week.  Yikes on the crunchy IT bands. Yay for sippy!!!

Ernie- Sad! I realized that I moved in 3 houses down from a girl I know that is a massage therapist. I see some relaxation in my future.

runnergirl- good luck on your 21- I would just stick with the schedule unless it was windy- it will be one of those character building runs, just be sure to wear a brimmed hat.

Jen- yay for you and mer doing a preggo half!  Sorry about DH's man cold. R wastes food too and its making our dog fat. This morning he didn't eat much of his breakfast so I put some saran wrap on his plate and he can eat it for dinner.

cx2- Bleh, that sounds like annoying work drama.

Eh!- I normally go for a really natural look so my hair doesn't look like a dyejob as it grows out, but I might do something a little more funky next time. Feeling braver now that my hair is short and anything ugly will be chopped off sooner rather than later.

Mer- what is your plan for J's bday?

strollermama- Glad you had a nice birthday! You are close to taper, a cutback won't matter. Which race are you running?

mzm- what are Froggy books? Reid started saying "wassat?" and I think its neat he's asking questions. This morning his "wassat?" happened to be a 1000 gallon propane tank that was on fire down the road from his daycare at an orchard. I told him "hot fire" and he kept pointing and saying hot! Hot! Have fun at cousin cards, I hope R is closer with his cousins than I was.

armama- sorry you have to pay taxes Sad  Hope DD feels better.

CA- I think R started STTN around 10 mos, which was when he started eating more chunks I think.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jen- I would wear capris or lightweight tights, a T shirt and a pullover that you could tie around your waist. Cheapie throwaway gloves and earwarmers.  The mac n cheese was actually quite tasty, I had low expectations with the GF flour- I made too much sauce for the amount of noodles I boiled, so it would have been better if I had time to bake it for a while first, but we ate dinner at 8:30 pm as it was.  On the 22nd I have a doctor's appt and I think I might take at least the afternoon off and get my hair done and maybe a massage.

Hey Moxie! I love your new haircut btw!

Erniegirl

Jen - Yes, winter has overstayed its welcome here! I actually like snow until about March and then I am ready for spring. April weather can be pretty erratic here, so while snow is not unheard of, there are usually some really warm days, too, and we haven't had any of those yet! Have fun during your half tomorrow and your weekend with Mer! I think I would wear what you described, minus the pull over.

Cx2 - The massage was only so cheap because it was a Groupon. Normally I pay $80 for an hour. Those programmers sounds so annoying! S has been saying mama and dada for months, but it has only been recently that she's actually clearly using those words to refer to me and DH, rather than just random babbling.

Eh - Oh, that is so annoying to pay $$$ to get your hair done and then coming out looking the same! They always do that here, too: cancel the buses but leave the school open. Have fun on your date night! What are your plans?

Mer - Have a good car ride, hm and weekend!

Stroller - 11 miles is a loooong run to do after work. Don't blame you for thinking about cutting that one a bit short. Sushi and happy hour sounds like a great birthday!

Mrszm - RP better not stand you up tonight! Your cousin card tradition sounds like so much fun. Hope the kindergarten screening is less eventful this time!

Arm - Aw, too bad about the cranky baby last night. It's exhausting when they just keep carrying on for no apparent reason. You get appetizers at your tennis match? That's a great idea! We have to pick our taxes up from the accountant today..I'm hoping we don't owe!

CA - I love butter chicken, mmm. My RP uses her slow cooker all the time; I should ask her where she gets all her recipes. I was waffling a bit on whether to go for that massage, but I'm glad I didn't got because the freezing rain just keeps coming down and if it was a stressful drive home, it would probably defeat the purpose of the massage.

Spike - I'm so glad you got to run last night! And that tax season is almost done for you. Is DS afraid of the wheelchair? A lot of kids and pets seem to be afraid of wheelchairs and scooters. They probably look kind of menacing when you're that small!

Bulgogi recipe (i'm estimating the quantities because I don't actually have it written down, but it's a marinade, so you can just make it to taste)

4 minced garlic cloves

3 tbsp sesame oil

Palm full of sesame seeds

1/3 cup of soy sauce

2 tbsp rice vinegar

2 tbsp brown sugar or honey

1 tbsp korean red pepper paste or chili garlic sauce (this will give it some good heat, but won't be burn-your-mouth spicy)

Stir everything up and marinade thinly sliced steak in it for at least 2 hours and then saute.

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15      

superspike113

Honorary Old

My QOTD- Do you wear sunscreen on every run? I'm thinking I should be more diligent and not just wear it in the summer. Most of my running is done after 5:30 pm, so I figure the sun isn't very strong at that point, but my sister remarked yesterday that I'm looking really freckly. My dad just had a half dollar sized chunk of basal cell carcinoma taken out of his hand so I'm genetically prone to cancer with sun exposure. I just hate the feeling of sunscreen. I normally just wear it if I'm going to be running in the summer between 9am-5 pm.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Ernie- could I use sriracha or red pepper flake instead of those specialty sauces? I have chili sesame oil too.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Ernie- he's been around this girl at least once a week since he started daycare at 8 weeks old. I don't know what his deal is. I asked the babysitter if she thought he might have hurt himself on her chair, and she said the only thing she could think of was that she went to pat R about a month ago but she has CP and doesn't have good motor control and kind of clocked him. He has seen her several times since and never had a problem until the two days she was there this week.

Erniegirl

Spike - Yup, sriracha or red pepper flakes both work. I've actually used both of those before as alternatives. Not sure about the chili sesame oil, but if you like the taste of it, I don't see why not.

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15      

mrszackmorris

zorbs: how great that b turned a corner with the sippy cup. my hair has a natural sort of wave to it, but dh would love it if I would straighten it every day. um, most days I don't see anyone but my own kids, i'm not doing that. my sister has natural curly hair and literally all she does is scrunch mousse in it and it looks perfect. although she hated her hair for about the first 20 years of her life.

rg: yup, c is doing the same thing in his sleep. I finally check on him after about the 3rd groan and he looked at, rolled over, and went back to sleep.

ernie: too cute about the paint; yup, I would have taken a picture too. mmmm....bagel and cream cheese. i'll settle for the gigantic fresh donut I just ate though Wink

jen: have so much fun this weekend and good luck with your race! you'll rock i'm sure; hope the foot holds up for you and your stomach after the public threatening. dh came home last night without texting first which he usually does and I was watching glee and it was all intense and he scared the crap out of me. I was sweating.

cx2: yup, having to deal with other people's crap is one of the reasons I do not miss my paying job. have a good weekend with c!

eh!: the same exact thing happened to me with my hair right after c was born. I paid a crap ton to go to a nice salon almost 45 minutes away in between nursings and I got home and dh said he couldn't even tell the difference. nice. yay for date night!!!

mer: have so much fun in MI this weekend and good luck! hope j behaves in the car for you!

stroller: I am certain you run more in a week than I do in an entire month; cut yourself some slack for sure! glad you had a great birthday and enjoyed happy hour with some friends. I need to do that. I've been trying to set one up with a few people I used to coach with...gotta get on that!

arm: ugh to the puke. hope it was a fluke. how do your girls feel about moving?

car: yay for o sleeping in until 5! that's great! dh and I had a discussion with my parents a few nights ago about dh not liking pork.

jen2: yup, I plan on cleaning of course, but not hardcore until after that party Smile I think your outfits sounds like I would wear. or could you do a compression type warmer shirt and then the windbreaker?

spike: so glad you got your run in! dh's brother is in a wheelchair and all our kids are scared of it especially cash. I was actually thinking last night I need to wear more sunscreen in the summer. I have freckles on my face as does dh and the girls. I know I need to be better about it. plus sil used to work for a dermatologist and he wears sunscreen on his whole body every day and long sleeves even in summer. cousin cards is actually with my cousins. our parents used to do this years ago; a few brothers and sisters and then cousins. so even though that my brother lives 4 doors down from me, he and his family will not be invited. ah, well, I actually don't feel at all guilty about it. Froggy books are like, "Froggy rides a bike" Froggy goes to school" and the repeated phrase is "FROGGGGY!" and "Wha-a-a-t?" so the girls think it is hilarious how I say it.