Womens Running

May Day Wednesday - Supermoms (Read 30 times)

Marathonjen

arm - Glad you had a good Vegas trip and were able to pace yourself!  Not always easy to doSmile  Glad at last L was excited to see you!  Enjoy the couple days you have with DH before he takes off.  Sounds like you have some big undertakings with house hunting, packing, moving, and being single mom!  Hang in there.

Spike - Ugh to the cruddy healthcare.  When I lived in Wisconsin we had terrible healthcare.  I used to have to drive to Milwaukee from where we lived to see a doctor who actually knew something.  I had so many bad doctors there.  When I moved back to Michigan in the center of a huge medical area we get great healthcare!  Hopefully you get this taken care of soon.

QUESTION:  For most of you this isn't even a question...it is 82 out and sunny.  Run outside?  I am planning to do 5 and don't have water to carry with me.  My only concern is the baby...not me.

Zorbs: Yes I usually try to run in the morning,  Just need to get back in the habit which will be easier now that the weather is getting better. I'll have to be up about 4:45am in order to squeeze in the run, followed by dog, kids, breakfast, pack lunches, and out the door by 7:15am. Hopefully planning better will encourage me to get out of bed

Jen; I'm slowly sneaking up on the Richmond FM.  Haven't put my money down yet but I'm getting closer. i'm thinking I'll use the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 plan

Spike - That's so frustrating about your appointment.  can you squeeze in a run instead?

FR:  Figured out how to make my own Magic Shell - now I must immediately forget b/c its fabulous!!

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jen- definitely run outside. Sunscreen and a sippy/strawcup for him if you have it. I did runs in 90+ heat with R last year- just dressed him lightly and if it was really bad, put a cold pack wrapped in a towel in with him to keep him cool. He usually just napped.

Re: crappy hospital- this is not my first bad experience. I think I'm going to write a complaint to the board of directors outlining their poor service and incompetence.  They fired R's godmother for being a whistleblower- they are totally f'd up there.

Dexy- there might possibly be time for a stroller run tonight depending on how long it takes with the bank. I ran extra long and a harder effort last night because I didn't think I'd be running today and tomorrow (allergy shot day).  I might go get a mocha and gossip with my friend that owns a coffee shop though to blow off steam.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

strollermama

jen - I would run outside but take walk breaks or sit if you feel light-headed at all.  Listen to your body.

RG - Did you drink full strength gatorade or G2 for the few days before?  I am going to try that because it is really hard for me to eat enough.

5k - 21:32  FM - 3:27:40

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jen- I am an airhead today, I totally read that as pushing J in the stroller, not as you being preggo. +1 to strollermama.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Erniegirl

Jen - I ran outside in hotter than that when I was pg with S, but my concern would be that you are not acclimatized to the heat yet and don't have water with you. I think you'll be fine if you hydrate well before and after and take it slow, but maybe do a route that you can easily cut short if you aren't feeling well?

Becky - Sorry you're having a bad morning. I can't believe your's and Arm's shoes are still wet from your race on Saturday. You guys must have been so soaked. I hope your Dad's surgery is going well!

Arm - Crazy about the still-wet race shoes. Good job on avoiding too much of a hangover after the bachelorette! I was in pretty rough shape after the one I went to in the winter.

Spike - Ugh, that kind of scheduling incompetence enrages me! Hope they can get you in next week without effing things up.

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15      

runninmer

re: rooming with my  boss - Yeah, its weird.  However, she is really nice.  We are just, erm, different.  She has offered to pay for the room because of all the extras I do around the building.  She is also driving which is nice (she will be reimbursed by the district.)

spike - Sorry you had such a crappy experience at the hospital.  I would be really ticked.  Glad the appriasal wasn't as bad as you had thought.  I hate the suspense of that part of the process.  We were pretty worried when we refinanced that ours was going to come in too low.  Also, I want you to know that I have been thinking of you with R and the whole sleep thing.  For some reason I thought my kids would be good sleepers and not be up horribly early.  Not the case with J! As he has gotten older it is a little better, but there are still mornings he is wide awake at 6am.  Sucks, but we have learned to deal with it.  Not that it makes it better, but you aren't alone!

dexy - I hope your lunch run went well!

becky - I hope your dad is doing well.  (And you are too!)

ernie - I WISH it was flip flop weather...or that I spent more of my day outside!  I have learned to embrace that horrible line! Smile

spike - I wish there was a way for me to show you the pic I took on my phone (no smartphone here).  These pants were horribly big...and the pockets were tiny!

Upcoming Races: 

Gazelle Girl 1/2 Marathon 4/13 - 1:48:46

runnergirl9508

Jen; I'd run outside, taking it slow, cutting it short if needed. It will probably feel hard since you're not used to the heat yet. Enjoy the warm sunny weather Smile

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

Marathonjen

Thanks ladies...I am going outside.  I am stubborn but will make a good effort to listen to my body.

BermyHorse

NRR: Bermy2 and my DS played together at the stream and playground for over an hour. It is such a relief having help for DS that he likes. He was so happy when they came back to me, they had had a great time. He even gave her a bit of a hug when she left. Yipee!!! In the meantime I took a tour of the Y classes – the cardio kickbox had people exercising out of the doorway it was so crowded. I think I might try a few.

Rg – thanks for sharing your goals and thanks for sharing your experience when I ask questions! Truly appreciate it. Would love to see your schedule. Thanks so much! I got a massage a week out (I had never had one before). Whilst it didn’t sort everything out, it did make me feel a whole lot better and kinda pampered. I was not sore afterwards.

Zorbs – ooopps on bruises for wedding. Just use your hair to cover it up.

Ernie – you are a very smart lady of many talents! How did you end up as a GMAT instructor?! we might be calling in that help – my DH is ruthlessly independent so he won’t ask for help that much but he might have questions on latest tests and stuff. Vanderbilt also have a tutor that they use to help with the math prep too.

Cx2 – I am sending you happy healing thoughts for that knee. How is work going?

Jen – glad you took a break yesterday. Yay for spending time with J instead. I ran in 80s pg but just dropped pace and took it very easy. Stop and walk if you need to – it will not affect your fitness or strength! You totally rock by the way! Proud of you for cooking last night – great job!

Jen/spike - DH told Vanderbilt about his background and they said they make exceptions. He’s a CTO and got there on a technical route not academic. In the class he took on negotiation, his solutions were so original the instructor (one of the MBA instructors) said he hadn’t seen anything like it in his 10 years of teaching that course.  They thought he would be a super fit. He has this really special ability to think laterally and ridiculously creatively – like so out of the box I can’t even follow sometimes.

Arm – SO excited for you that you PR’d – can’t believe I sat with you at breakfast and did not know this or make a big deal of it. I feel bad about that. You rocked it even in the crappy weather! I remember you posted a little while back that you thought you would never PR again at the half – that is so great! I was killing myself laughing at the penis cookies. I am very excited for you and your house hunt (having just been through it recently). Do keep me in the loop. I love house hunting.

Mrszm – poor little fella and his crocks. Yay for seeing your sister more. Yay for all that playing – I love your life with the kids – you do so many activities that centre around them and that is so awesome. They must be very happy kids. You are so sweet to send mer your mat. clothes.

Mer – I was laughing about your sock tan line. That’s so cute. I have a shorts tan line – I look like I have shorts on all the time!

Stroller – you are really present about how you feel and so good about articulating it. Great job mama. And too cute on letter and great gift from DH – what a honey. I felt the same way in my taper – sad it was over but also really grateful for the great running.

CA – which days do you ST on? Hope MIL can find a condo. Cute on dream. My DS got two more over the weekend. My legs are also feeling more like normal but I am taking today off as a special treat!

Spike – HOLY FAST 6m! you did a GREAT job on that – you will rock another 10k now! How exciting for your Chelan getaway! How long are you going for? Is R staying with a friend? SO annoying on the appointment. What a complete waste of time.

Dexy – hi! Which plans are you reading?

Becky – hope your dad is ok. Big hugs on a stressful day for your family. And for your shoes to still be wet it must have been horrible conditions - that makes me feel as though I am not exaggerating it or being a wimp.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

BermyHorse

spike - don't know on tote. baby steps.I was thinking of making a very cute bag with a whole mixture of colours and textures like this

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- I have a pattern for a really cute ruffled tote- it makes a medium sized bag (maybe supplies for going to the park or short outing, not big enough to be a shopping bag. I'd be happy to pull it out of storage and send to you this weekend. The one I have uses a strip quilting technique to make vareigated ruffles, and is very cute!  We are going to www.grandviewonthelake.com and staying for 2 nights. We are taking R since its low season and we will probably have the place mostly to ourselves and can play in the heated pool/hot tub, go for runs/walks, play at the park. Depending how saucy we feel, we could take a ferry ride on the Lady of the Lake to Stehekin, but not sure if I want to spend 6hrs on a boat.

BermyHorse

spike - would love pattern! You said 4 words in that sentence, none of which i know what they mean. I have a long way to go with this sewing thing. That hotel looks so relaxing. The waterslide looks lovely in that night lighting.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- strip quilting is where you sew together long strips of fabric to make your quilt top- you can cut crosswise and resew them into another pattern, or leave the striped look. Vareigated is where the colors are random or alternate- not the same throughout. http://www.google.com/search?q=strip+quilting&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LWmBUdLPMMOaiQKfroHICA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1634&bih=837

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

cx2 - I hope the knee feels better quickly!! My DH is watching hockey also but generally just DVR's it and watches when I go to bed... Calgary didn't make the playoffs so I could care less (not that I ever care much).

Jen - Yeah don't worry about dinner... he's healthy and doing great. Awesome job cooking dinner! It's so hard being at work all day and then coming home to have to work more on supper... I totally get that! Yup run outside, just walk if you feel lightheaded etc... Your body will tell you, and it will protect the baby first.

Mzm - cute on the twin girls Smile YUM that pizza sounds so good! That's so fun that you could shop with your sister, good plan to get together more.

mer - No runners tan yet here... hopefully soon - I wear it like a badge of honor - I had so smear fake tan stuff on my non tanned parts of my shoulders for my wedding cause of my sports bra tan Smile I hope you can find some good maternity stuff - nice that Mzm could pass some on!

stroller - yay for trail running!!! I'm dying for it, just waiting for the snow to melt. You are doing so well in your program balancing it all - focus on the end goal!! YAY for a letter from DH, such a treat for you!!!

bermy - enjoy the extra day of rest, you totally earned it!! I'm just jumping back in cause of my half at the end of the month, and the unknown of how many days I'll be off for the cyst. My mom has made a bunch of tote bags, some simple grocery type and some really nice ones with quilting fabric for grandkids and friends as gifts. That's a great place to start!! Awesome on DHs MBA! I am not very educated either, just a college deploma no degree, and have done well by it. I ST on Monday and Wednesday... Monday is a day off running and Wed is a medium long running day, so it's a big workout day but it works with my schedule - I don't get super sore from ST'ing anymore as I've been pretty regular with it for a while.

spike - Awesome run!!! I think you should race a 10k, you'd totally rock it right now!! weird on R's wakeups... hopefully he gets the message that you're around - was he doing this before the move? UGH on the u/s... what a pita!

dexy - I totally agree, schedulign runs w/ a family and work is totally the hard part! Once you get into a routine it does get easier.

becky - thoughts for your dad, I hope everything goes smoothly. Don't you have another dozen or so shoes to choose from?? Oh wait that would be me Wink

arm - newspaper in the shoes over the register, they'll be dry by morning... swap out the paper if it gets damp. Congrats on the PR this weekend!!

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/