Womens Running

It's a Wonderful Weekend (over 40) (Read 18 times)

Anonymous Guest

I got up way too early and ran the Baltimore 10 miler this morning. It's basically an out and back, with the first two miles being full of downhill, then rolling hills and some flat, then....damn that downhill at the beginning, because it's the most miserable finish around with the last 2 miles all uphill. And my Garmin was right on at all the mile markers, then the last mile I got 1.12 miles, so that added a minute to my projected finish time I'd been calculating in my head along the way (bargaining with myself....okay, if I can keep the next two miles under this pace, that gives me this much cushion for the uphill to still finish at this time). I finished in 1:18:32, which isn't a 10 miler PR (I actually got my 10 mile PR on a hilly course this past spring, running as a marathon pace run and then opening up the last three miles - I guess that says something about not going out to fast, huh?), but it is a PR on this course at least. I looked back and I've never broken 1:20 here.

DH left this morning for a 2-day stage race in western Maryland, so I'm by myself the rest of the day and night. What am I going to do - other than go to the grocery store, pet store and Target, finish the laundry and do some cleaning? Surely I can come up with something more fun than that!

10K race tomorrow morning. It's part of my running club's race series, so I want to do well (I'm leading my age group after the first two racs), but not sure how these legs are going to respond after today's run. My time might not show it, but I really pushed it out there this morning.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Way to go Karen on the course PR!  Too bad about the long last mile...you'd think they give you a break by then, right?  Good luck tomorrow!

Lisa, it's so nice to read your plans for the trail races!  It makes me feel good, esp when they have names like Devil's with Dirt.

Ginny, you're back, too!  Made it thru the winter and doing 8-10 mile runs. woo-hoo.

Tessa, it's too bad you don't have time to sit on your deck and read.  Your deserve a few days like that. I sat in my bed and read a day or two after I got back.  : )

Sue, I hope the BF is back and your have a good weekend.  Neat that you have fox kits.

Susan, when do you leave for the backpack adventure.

Demaris, I'm so sorry about your car!  What a pain.

Laura, good luck on the marathon!  Is it today?

Gatsby, aren't you racing this weekend?  If so, good luck!

Hi to everyone else.  I'm too lazy to look back...

It's been cool here the past few days with snow on the mountains and morning temps in the low 40's. It's better today with 49 for low.  I'm ready for some sunshine and temps in 60's or 70. : )  I'd rather have this than the 80's in GA though. I've been planting flowers at the condo and veggies in a community garden at church.  I walked 5-6 miles with a friend yesterday.  Today, I'm going to plant more and walk with then have dinner with friends tonight. Just a few more days of cipro. : )

Karen- I think you should fill the day with making travel plans and registering. You asked.

Camille-Dances With Dirt at Devil's Lake.  Good times climbing bluffs, running up and down ski hills with the flats being in grassy fields with no shade. Who wouldn't want to do this?

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Early for me today too. Ran 4.1. Then I've been training all day. Tomorrow the IT guy will be here and he better fix stuff. The roll out was not very smooth but we did what we could.

118 is fast in my book Karen!  GL  tomorrow.

Marjorie

camille2

Lisa, hey, I was close.  : ).

Marjorie, it's a bummer that you're working on the weekend.

i hope you got the tech stuff straightened out.

question for you techies.  Since I returned from Europe, I have to sign in here each time when using iphone, even when I ck "remember me."  It never remembers.  Same for Facebook, though I don't even get a box to ck there.  I did get a message from Facebook while I was in Italy that someone had tried to sign in from London and asking if it was me. We didn't go there so I told them no. Since then, I have to login Every time.  anyone know if there's a setting I need to change?  It's just a nuisance, though not huge.

A late check-in for me since I was up in Auburn today for a 25k trail race and an aid station captain's meeting for Western States.   A lovely day to be out on the trails and the race was very well done, with great volunteers and a nice big breakfast at the end.   A RC friend was running today as well, so we kept each other company up and down the hills (3200' elevation change).  Was going to do another trail run tomorrow but I'm too pooped.  Will do something a little easier, methinks.

Karen, good luck at the 10K on Sunday!  And nice run today.  Have you started scoping out running clubs in Texas yet?  

Camille, I'm utterly incompetent with technology.  Find a 12 year old boy to ask about your phone -- kids know everything about tech it seems.  Sounds like you are having a very pleasant weekend.  Hope those temps continue to creep up.

Lisa, just stay away from the Dirt Devil race since it would probably involve vacuuming.  Remind me, what have you signed up for?  Or are you still pondering?

Marjorie, hopefully the IT guy can work some magic and fix what needs to be fixed.

Hope everyone else is out enjoying the weekend!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille did they make it so you have to enter a code on FB?  Go to help and search security code. Then you can change the setting.  It may be that?

on here if you have it checked it should remember you. If it isn't remembering ask over on tech forum on here.  Maybe it is the browser you are using.?

If IE it could be this. http://www.facebook.com/help/374104332645037/ for the fb issue.

This problem can be fixed by changing your Internet Explorer 7 settings: Open Internet Explorer Click Tools and then select Internet Options Click on the Security tab, and then click the Custom Level button at the bottom of the window Find User Authentication in the list of settings and select the option for Automatic login with current user name and password

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Or on iPhone check settings and general then restrictions. Do you have and on fb?  You shouldn't. Only other thing, have you updated fb on your app?  Maybe you need to go to fb on the update in apps and see if any updates are needed?

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, you forgot to mention wading through poison ivy, jumping from rock to rock in one section, collecting deerflies on the sticky tape on your hat, and clambering up hundreds of slippery granite steps. Boy, doesn't that race sound like fun?

Bikerchick1

Karen - Great job on your 10 miler!  And good luck on your 10k!!!

Camille - Taking a day to rest and read sounds very therapeutic.  Hope you have your technical difficulties worked out...I am no help.

Lisa - DWD sounds like a great training for Grand Canyon.....wish I could join you out there Smile   Just can't fit it in the schedule this summer Sad

I think your "back" Smile

Marjorie - Hope your training is going good!

Gatsby - Great job on the 25 k trail run!!!

Tessa - Your description sounds....hmmmm.....not so fun!

Did NCT relay yesterday, absolutely beautiful weather.  We had a great team and lots of laughs.  We take 2 teams, and so we have partners to run our legs with.  Our 2nd leg was a "gut buster", and yes, it was....unfortunately your are so busy watching the trail you don't have time to look around and enjoy the scenery.

Not sure what is on the agenda for today....sort of a SRD, but maybe a bike ride.

Have a great day!

Carol

ginnyb

Ugly, ugly, ugly 10 miles this morning!  Terrible run, I actually wanted to do 11, but I felt so terrible I threw in the towel with 10.  Don't you wish there were a reason for these bad runs?  I slept well, nothing unusual yesterday or the whole week, ate normal....who knows?  All I know is that I was miserable.  Oh well, this too shall pass.

Karen....good job on your 10 miler!  Hope your 10K went well this morning.  By the way, I think it should be illegal to save the hills for the end of a race!

Tessa....you definitely need to take time to read sitting on your deck.  You will frequently find me on the front porch doing just that!  When the wind isn't blowing in off the lake that is, when it is, it is too cold for me out front.

Camille...yes I was doing pretty well until this morning!  I am sure this was just one of those fluke runs that happen to us all.  I am not techy at all, I can't help you.  Marjorie can I bet!

Kids all coming over for chicken on the grill later for Father's Day, so I better rest up.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning, ladies!  I wanted to get back here when the thread was opened yesterday but after many errands, I just opened a bottle of wine and relaxed last night.  URD yesterday (too tired).  17 miles today.  I wanted 18-20 but it was 92F and 74 dewpoint by 8am and I was barely breaking 12mm (1mm slower than normal) so it was not a good day to go long.  Still, it was a pleasant run.

Karen, great job on the race.  Good luck today!

Camille, I love those temps.  Send me some!  Mountains too!  Sometimes, even though you are not in the place FB says you were, it's your system trying to connect from that relay. Maybe that London entry into FB was you and when you said no, it triggered a higher log in protocol.

Lisa, hiya!

Marjorie, nice run.  Sorry you have to train people over the weekend.

Gatsby, nice job!

Tessa, poison ivy? Ouch!

Carol, nice job on the relay.

Ginny, I felt the same during my 17 miles.  Some days are like that, but you finished!!!

Now waiting until the Chinese place opens to get some calories.  Lots of calories.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good morning!  Slept in until 5:45, which is about the latest I can do this time of year since one of my parrots wakes up with the dawn and will not pipe down until I let him out.  I will do a few easy miles this morning.  Still feeling a little creaky after the trail run yesterday.

Camille, hopefully Marjorie's tech expertise helps you figure out the phone issue.

Tessa, yes, that sounds like fun!  Except the poison ivy part.

Carol, sounds like you have some experienced teams for the relay.  How fun.

Ginny, ugh on the ugly run.  But you still got 10 done, which is great.

Damaris, I don't know how you run in those temps!  Nice 17.

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

camille2

Docket, I think you're probably right about FB.  I got another message while I was in Spain asking if I was me in yet a different country and I just ignored it.  I answered the first message quickly but it was just a "yes" "no" with no place to put where I was.  It's just the phone.  On the temps...I like them to run in for mornings but a little warmer in the afternoons is nice and that's supposed to happen soon. I'd love to share these mountains. I never tire of them.

Marjorie, thanks for the suggestions!  I checked and had an update due, so let it do its thing last night.  Maybe it'll be fixed this morning.

Gatsby, sounds like you're having a great weekend, too.  I'd love to watch Western States some day.

Ginny, bummer on the run! Those bad runs are a mystery, but good for you for 10!

Carol, that relay sounds fun.  You were brave to take on the gut buster!

Tessa and Lisa, I'd forgotten about the deer flies at that race.  Ugh! Sounds like the devil.

Cindy, those pics of your son are too cute.  How's marathon training going?

Has anyone heard from Linda?  It's summer and she'd be free. Wonder how her knee is.

Great walk last night around a lake.  A moose and baby moose were grazing, but were too close to our trail for us to risk get pics.  Mama moose can be scary.  Good (but overly spicy hot) Thai dinner afterwards.  AK has the best Thai places and lots of them.

I've got to go bake cookies. Why do I volunteer for these things?

Hi all,

Few minutes free before I have to leave to travel 35 miles (each way) to pack tents... Yeah... I'm not thrilled about this.  I'm not sure why three of us are needed to pack a few tents, but oh well.

Philmont training for the weekend:

Saturday - 3.1 miles with pack with DH at Lake Lansing North, which was desolate for some reason.  The mosquitoes weren't too bad as long as one kept moving. 
                                2.0 miles with Jeff to the mall then whatever we did around the mall.

Sunday - 2.3 mile run this am.
                                Hopefully, will get out this evening with DS for a walk with packs.  Probably one more walk this week with packs before I unpack the books and start the real packing.  I've got most of my stuff laid down. 

By this time next Sunday, we'll be in Colorado.  The plan is to go up Mount Evans after we arrive.  I think this is pretty stupid as it is a 14000+ peak (drivable) and we're coming from 870 ft above sea level.  But I'm not in charge.  We start the Philmont trek on the 26th.  I'm anxious, excited, and a bit frightened by what I've signed up to do... 82 miles with full backpack.  Most of it with 34+ lbs. 

Karen, great job on the racing this weekend. Congrats on the AG award today! 

Camille, Sounds like a great weekend!  Enjoy!

Marjorie, Sorry about having to work on the weekend.  I feel the same way, but my students are starting to panic... so I worked on an experimental plan, progress report, and human subjects research application.  I still have several manuscripts to read... and two manuscripts of my own that are due tomorrow.  I'll make the deadline for one.  Probably not for the other.  Sad

Gatsby, 3200' elevation change... no wonder you're beat!  Hope you can relax!

Going to have to stop here - will finish later after I get back.  But better go pack tents!  (Such fun!

Have an awesome day!!!!

Susan