Womens Running

Wheeeeee - it's the Weekend (over 40) (Read 16 times)

Anonymous Guest

Up early this morning to load my car with old and leftover chemicals (paint, solvent, epoxy, various car fluids, etc.), empty propane tanks and a life raft (yes, a life raft) for a trip to the dump to get rid of some things the movers won't move. I'm headed to Pilates in a bit, then will go straight to the dump from there, then come home and run 15 miles, hopefully before the rain/snow and high winds hit. I will be tired tonight!

DH found out about a nice little moving benefit his moving benefits person neglected to tell him. If we put this house on the market within 30 days of closing on the new house, the company will pay the mortgage, insurance, homeowners association and utility bills on our old house for up to 3 months that we have two houses. That will cover a significant part of the taxes it looks like we will owe...

High today of 40, then the deep freeze hits. They say today will be the warmest day in the entire 10-day forecast. Will I be sad that I'm getting on a plane next weekend to do the final inspection and close on our house? Why no, I most definitely will not. In fact, I wouldn't mind flying out Saturday instead of Sunday at this point!

What's new with all of you this fine weekend?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Woke up with a migraine but feeling better.  5 miles tonight, expo in a few (HM tomorrow), and nothing else.

Karen, that's a huge benefit!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

3.1 fast the a mile with dh at his pace (super slow for me then) .2 with Quincy medium pace. So 4.3 Hammy even ran a little. When I got back with dh we took the pups for a short walk and I made Quincy run back. Hammy didn't want to be out done so he trotted behind us slowly with dh.  Hammy needs to lose weight so this was his start. Not a far walk but he can't go far with his back. He hasn't been getting as much exercise with the pool being down for a month. We aren't sure if they will reopen. We hope so.

Karen it is a lot of work but feels good to sort everything and de clutter.

Happy  expo time Damaris.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, that's good news! Glad the company does that. Could you switch your flight to Saturday?

Marjorie, good luck to Hammie in his weight loss quest. I hope the puppy pool reopens.

Damaris, have fun at the race tomorrow.

Triple digits are not happening. Ever. I ran 52 miles today -- not an ultra, not an organized event, just me and lots of Santa Clarita pavement -- and wound up with 63 APs. There is no way I could run enough miles to send the AL to triple digits, since it's a function of age, gender, height, and weight. I have no control over the first three (well, not without reassignment surgery or the rack) and don't want to increase the fourth. So won't try that again. I did make it well over 100,000 footsteps for today, as those who are fitbit friends may have noticed. It was a good run at first, started out about 12:45, did 7 miles and wound up going back past my house which was good because I really needed the bathroom and not much is open at 2:30 AM. Took care of that and headed out again. I was fine until about mile 38, then it got hotter and I decided to head back. Texted DS to meet me at Costco and took off for what turned out to be a long slog up hills. I may not eat at McDonald's, but I am grateful for their kind donation of ice and water for my bottle.

Anonymous Guest

I was gonna get on here and whine that I was exhausted.......and then I read Tessa's post. Holy crap! Who runs 52 miles not in a race? Well, I guess we know the answer to that now. Nicely done.

D, have fun at the half tomorrow. Is this one you're running with hubby, or are you using it as a training run for your marathon training? Or both? Or neither?

Marjorie, nice "family" run. I hope puppy pool isn't closed for good!

Well, I got everything done along with some cleaning and laundry. And I am beat. Time to hit the couch with my chai latte and my kindle. Station Eleven is getting good, and I still have two more books downloaded from the library waiting once I finish this one.

My Pilates instructor and her husband are coincidentally thinking about moving to TX. Probably closer to Austin. We were laughing - I told her ExMob had a really good relo package, but I don't think it included moving my Pilates instructor along with everything else.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Wheee, here's the weekend again.  I did a short run this morning then picked up my DH at the airport.  We had lunch out, did some yard work, and now he's sacked out on the couch asleep from jetlag.  So no, we are not doing anything too exciting for valentine's day.  Temps were in the mid-70s today so the roads and beaches were mobbed.  Same again tomorrow, I hear.

Karen, good luck with the deep freeze!  Bet you're counting the days until you leave it all behind.  Hooray for getting relief on the taxes.

Damaris, have fun at the HM tomorrow!

Marjorie, wanted to say that those mini cheesecake hearts you made a few days were adorable.  Hope the puppy pool finds a new spot soon so Hammy can get back to his swimming.

Tessa, 52 miles? Whew, nice run.  What are the APs and AL that you referred to?

Hello to everyone else!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

52 miles???!!!!!!  Wow Tessa!

every week that goes by with them not saying they have a new location makes us think it just may not happen. Makes us sad. Hammy doesn't "need" the pool but it is his best exercise. If we can get him out for some walks and some trotting he will lose the two pounds. They grudgingly have given up the extra treats and we cut back their food. No complaining yet.

Dh  struggked with the mile but he hung in. I need to keep making him go. If he goes with me he works a bit harder. Since he knew I was done he wasn't worried that I'd push pace too much where he couldn't keep up. If he'd go regularly he could do much better

Tessa nice activity points!  I went to Michaels today and got some stuff I needed to do more of the treats for Dh's work. I've pinned a bunch of ideas on Pinterest for St Patrick's and Easter too. Might as well plan. I will start the stuff for Mardi Gras tomorrow. Doing King Cake pops and dipped pretzels. I may mold some chocolates too. I got yellow green and purple chocolate melts so I can make some candy. I have flavorings so will do that. Too bad they didn't have any Fleur De Lis molds. I'd have to order them. Tessa I found a recipe for king cake bars. They look easy. Maybe next year.

Dad starts PT on Monday. I already gave the therapist a bunch of dads history since he probably wouldn't tell her everything.

Karen funny your instructor may move. Too bad not close to you.

Garsby 70?  We were close to 60 but not 70!s. . I looked at temps for my NC trip this week. I was not amused.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, thanks for posting the recipe -- I have copied/pasted it into a Word document for next year, I didn't have time to make it this year. I just frosted the yellow cake I made yesterday and used green, gold, and purple sprinkles to theme it appropriately.

70s for Damaris, 80s here. Not impressed. All the plants and trees are leafing out and blossoming. This is too early!

Karen, pity your Pilates instructor isn't thinking about moving to Houston! I have Station Eleven on hold at the library, but I think I'm something like 200th in line for 8 copies. Someday I will read it.

Margaret, AL = Weight Watchers ActiveLink, their fitness measurement device. It is being phased out in favour of the Fitbit. APs = activity points, which can be used to offset eating more food than the WW basic allowance. I'm a lifetime member but still track food intake regularly and weigh in as often as possible. I don't want to get back to the 170+ I used to weigh -- at 5 feet tall that's truly obese.

Enjoying pizza and sparkling rose without any guilt. But I suspect running 52 miles on a Saturday is a bit extreme and most people won't do that in order to eat more...

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 9.8 miles this afternoon. I was cold by the end - started out in a SS shirt, but the wind kicked up and the sun went away, and I could really have used a LS shirt by the end. It was a bit of a struggle today, and I'm wondering if I'm coming down with a cold - both DH and I feel a bit punk this evening.

Karen - that's a nice perk with the relo package! Glad they cancelled your relay for tomorrow.

Tessa - 52 miles, wow, that's very impressive. Especially in heat.

Gatsby - we're having a very low-key Valentine's Day as well. I might pick up some half-price chocolate tomorrow. 

Marjorie - where in NC are you headed next week?

Damaris - good luck tomorrow.

Off to read a bit, then bed. Have a good Sunday-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Tessa. Was this a birthday run.??????

CIndy Wilmington so not close to you.  I don't get to go to NC often anymore.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

4.2. Much slower than yesterday. But still not bad. Got Quincy for the last .2. Not bad for an out of shape doggy, I kept him at a 10.08 pace. He'd have gone faster but I want to break him in and not totally wear him out. Hammy trotted out behind us with dh.  He wanted to run it too.  Well, he sorta did it all, except Quincy and I did a few small turns to let them catch up. Dh and Hammy were probably at a 14 min pace but still okay. Hammy seems to be loving it, so does Quincy. They will never do long distance. Bassets aren't long run dogs. More a sprinter.

Marjorie

Californians are griping about warm temps and the east coasters are griping about blizzards. Crazy extreme weather. Ran 5 miles this morning with DH. It was sunny and warm, with flowers blooming everywhere. Like Tessa said, it's too early!  Heading up to my sister's house later for dinner with her family and my dad.  Petty gripe: our internet router is out and I have to satisfy my internet addiction using my cell phone, not my laptop.

Cindy, hopefully you were just worn out last night and not coming down with something.

Marjorie, funny to picture your whole family out for a run together.  Are the pups' feet okay with road running or do their foot pads need to toughen up?

Tessa, I would think you could polish off a few pizzas and bottles of wine with the APs of a 52 mile run.

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bikerchick1

Karen - Hard to believe you will be out of the cold weather soon!!!

Tessa - Wowza....52 miles...that is amazing!  Question for you...I have started to wear fitbit - it downloads to WW

online (I have been tracking with), so do you just not do any activity points and just go by FitBit?  What about if you cycle/yoga/etc.?

Hi to Marjorie, Damarias, Gatsbybird, Cindy!

Well, the IceCube race went on this am...it had -30 degree windchill (I did not go), but many people downsized to 5k instead of half.   I try not to be wimpy, but felt like that was just too crazy!  So am getting on the DM in a few.  Have had a busy week-end.  Birthday dinner Friday nigh for son-in lawt, surprise birthday party yesterday for an aunt, Aly spent the night, and shopping today for DD's baby shower next week-end...whew.

Carol

LC Runs

Just a quick pop in from me to say hello - due to the frigid temps, both runs this weekend were on the TM, ughhhh.  5 miles Sat and 5 miles Sun.

Tessa - wow, 52 miles, that is so AWESOME!!

Carol - looks like the cx the Half today, and just had people run the 5k or 10k - I can not imagine!

Marjorie - I saw your treats on FB and Wow, do they look good!!

Karen - good for you on the cleaning out, I think it will take me moving out of this house to clean it that thoroughly - I want to do it, but just seems so overwhelming lol

Damaris - hope the migraine is gone.

Gatsby - jealous of your weather.

Cindy - great run, I have got to get my mileage back up.  Half is in about 14 weeks and I haven't run over 6 in a couple of months.  If the weather would just cooperate a little bit, I can start working in that longer weekend run.

BF is down with the flu- I am doing my best not to get it.  The kids and I all got the flu shot but of course it's a different strain than the shot.  Lots of handwashing going on here.  And...men when they're sick.....ughhhhhhh

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Thanks Laura. I like making stuff for dh to take to work

carol they did cancel the half. One of Damaris and my friends was to do the half and they made them do the 10k because of drifting

Gatsby we aren't going far so the pavement is fine. Bassets have such huge paws and are made for running. They are pretty tough. Bassets are more sprinters so we won't have them do long distances.

funny when we were out today a guy down the street pulled in his driveway. We think they are a bit skanky and never talk to them. Hammy went nuts starting to bark so did Quincy. Not like them!  They are good judges of character so we know to steer clear. Especially if Hammy went off for no reason. It isn't like him. Quincy is always sensitive to bad people and has started going off barking and growling at a complete stranger two other times in Pet Smart.  Otherwise he is just happy to see everyone. Bill and I were super surprised with Hammy doing it too. He usually is a bit oblivious.

Marjorie