Womens Running

Throwback Thursday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

Let's throw us back to June.

Oldest DD comes into town this weekend, she has a funeral on her dad's side of family so I may see her tonight but then she will be with their family for the weekend.

Judy-so glad that the grief counselors are proving to be helpful.  Smile.

Ginny-woohoo for those good runs! this year I'm thinking that I will take a couple of months off of "running" but will do other cardio machines.  Just give those parts a break.  I've never been good with sticking to plans though.

Susan-run / walk at those set intervals or on the inclines since it's sort of rolling. Second loop let the other runners help too. I have always found that breaking things into small (relative to the total time!) time increments helps.  look at minutes not hours.  so many minutes between drinks, between gel/fuel, between walk breaks. sleep (not during the race).. you're tapering and deserve it.

Tessa-ha!  your hill would be our mountain in the flatlands.

Camille-with dh gone I'm sure that the niggle isn't a good one. LOL  Susan and I aren't doing the same race.  We ran the park course though last Sunday.  Now, Ginny and I are doing the same race in September at RunWoodstock.  The half, her first trail ever.  Woohoo!  We get to cheer on hundos! For a moment you had me.. gators in Alaska!? wow, global warming has really picked up!  If I were on forest trails I'm betting that deer flies would be bad here in Michigan now. End of July, start of August is their season.

Off to the gym to do cardio on equipment there.  I figured that I would make this a bit of a recovery week.  You know after running 9 on Sunday and 8 on Monday just a week after a 7.5 hour marathon.  LOL Delayed recovery.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Wednesday was 35 minutes on the track and they were strong ones. I've lost and must relocate my locker key (the extra one) because if someone found it at the track they could open my locker. There is a lot of stealing going on there so I am careful.

I plan a track run today.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Bikerchick1

Judy -  That is from yesterday!  Hope you find your key.

Lisa - No go for us on Woodstock.  I knew we had a 20 miler scheduled that week-end, but guess I forgot (or wasn't paying attention to details) that the plan is to do it at NCT.  We are doing a 20 at Pinckeny in August....wanna lead us 

Susan - Yes, doing bleechers at HS track.  Someone that has done R2R said important to do lots of stairs.  I'm excited for your Full on Sunday!

Bike ride and quick run with DH last night.  Decided to register for a couple of Tri's.  Doing one on Sunday (Women's only), then in 2 weeks (our local one).  Just doing the sprint distance.  Figured I would be disappointed if I didn't do one this summer.

Hi to all!

Carol

ginnyb

Good morning,

Ran 5 miles this morning and again, great run.  I was only going to do 4 and just kept going.

Lisa....I think you need a recovery week, definitely!

Carol...sorry you won't make woodstock.  One of these days we will meet face to face.

Work today  but have tomorrow off for Saturday, which sounds good for tomorrow, but I don't like working Saturdays either.  Let's face it, I just don't want to work anymore, LOL!

I will be checking back later..

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Work has been so busy I have not been here for days!  I am still somewhat sick, but we were able to go to the Def Leppard/Kiss concert on Tuesday and we had an awesome time. I have not run all week, but did Pilates yesterday and Pilates today.  I guess that will be it until the marathon on Sunday.

Lisa, enjoy the cardio session.

Judy, enjoy the track.

Carol, good luck on the tris.

Ginny, glad to see you having great runs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

All right ladies, my boss sent me this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/sports/24macur.html?emc=eta1&_r=0.

We have a goal - meet up in 40-50 years?

I've had a crappy week of running so far. I was out in Columbus for meetings and my runs there were just awful. Slow, hard to breathe, cut one short and turned speed work into a recovery run. And then yesterday my plane was delayed several hours so I ended up with an unscheduled rest day. At this point I guess it's become a taper for my 6-hour race on Saturday. Which may be interesting, as I looked back at my log and other than one half marathon, the longest I've run since Boston three months ago has been 12 miles. I'd like to run 3 times that on Saturday! It might be time to reevaluate my goals for this one....

Swamped now that I'm back in the office, but wanted to share that article. Plan on running some number of miles tonight, I'll be back after that.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Hi all,

Lisa,  Ok... I'm going to start with as much walking as running so I can try to keep the pace around 13 min miles.  We'll see.  Definitely breaking things into manageable (psychologically and physically) time increments does help.  Been trying to make sure I'm keeping hydrated too this week.  Got my extra clif bars.  Just need to cut them in half and package them up (chore for Saturday).  Did 6 miles yesterday 4 running in am and then 2 with DH walking in evening.  Would have walked more but wanted to work on the manuscript review.  Hoping to walk again this evening.   Maybe swim tomorrow?  I really have no idea what I should be doing to taper.   Hope you got in a good cardio routine at the gym.

Ginny, so glad you had another great run!  I'm thinking I may try to go over to Woodstock to see you and Lisa.  Not sure yet about running.  We'll talk races on Monday (or Tuesday) LOL.

Judy, hope you find the extra key.  Argh on the lots of stealing.  Sometimes....

Carol, Ah bleachers... such fun.  I agree - lots of stairs is definitely something to do. Make sure you're doing the "down" slopes too.  Thanks... I'm excited and scared.  Cool on the tri.  I've debated... the swimming scares me.

Damaris, Sorry you've been sick.  Good luck on Sunday... I'll think of you on Sunday as I'm running.  We can send each other positive vibes.

Karen, sorry about the crappy running week.  Just have fun on Saturday... make it a fun run... no pressure.  Yep... 40 years I'll be 97 (scary thought).  Hope I can still run!!! 

Well back to work!

ginnyb

Well Karen in either 40 or 50 years I will either be 105 or 115, so I don't think I will make it to that reunion, but you never know, LOL!

Susan...great if you make it to Woodstock, running or not running!

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

ginnyb

Lisa...just registered for Woodstock, now barring any unforeseen circumstances, I have to do it!

Ginny

Arimathea

Tessa

Yay Ginny! Registering is half the battle.

Karen, thanks for sharing that. IN 40 years I will be 91 (noticed that the guys whose ages were given are all 91 or 92, nobody's 98 or 99!), in 50 I will be 101. Wonder if they have a centenarian team?

Lisa, not sure I'd want to do other types of cardio...I was on the ET last week because I forgot my running shoes and I was so bored I switched to the TM and ran in sock feet.

Damaris, which race is this?

Susan, you know you can buy mini Clif bars? Probably just as easy to buy the big ones and cut them in half, though. Excited for the race?

4 this morning, went to the post office. Good thing too. I made an offer to Citibank to settle DH's credit card balance, they countered and I picked up the letter today, I called them this morning and negotiated a compromise between their counter and my original offer. When that's paid they'll consider it settled in full. I will have to pay taxes on the difference and I am mightily ticked off at having to pay for his financial stupidity, but it's a lot less than the original amount they were demanding.

Ooo! Check out the new addition to our household! How do I insert an image? We did not intend this to happen...but this little one was abandoned and starving in a coworker's neighborhood and coworker brought her home, fed her, but couldn't keep her and knew we are softies. Come by and meet her! We think she's about 8 weeks old. She is a playful, cuddlesome, exploring little girl with an enormous appetite and a purr almost as loud as Ed's. A 2 pound ball of black fuzzy cuteness.

She has been de-flea'ed and should be visiting the vet shortly for vaccinations. She is making the acquaintance of the two older cats under close supervision. Fernanda is resigned but I think her curiosity will get the better of her caution very soon, Ed is nervous but not overly so.

And since she had to be a G, we brainstormed names and after rejecting Galadriel, Griselda, Gondor, and Gollum (ahem, not MY idea), the finalists were Georgina, Godiva, and Guinevere and she is now Guinevere...but I suspect she's going to be Gwennie most of the time.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1.  Bunch of work.  Did a 2 hour long phone call this afternoon with a new person.  If the manager wasn't so bad I would not have done it as I generally do not do those calls any more.  But, wanted to have a good start with the new therapist which they would not get with him

Lisa why throw back to June?

Carol I'm not sure I could run the bleachers without falling

Ginny good for you registering

D feel better

Karen 40 or 50 years???  Even though you haven't run far in training, all your history on running you will do fine.  It isn't like you are new to distance.

Tessa  you have to go to tiny pics.com  Load the image there then copy the URL for posting.  Then here choose the little tree icon and put the URL there.  Then we will be able to see it.  I think it is nuts to have to pay taxes on what he charged that wasn't you.  How we have stuff set up sometimes in this country is ridiculous.  The amount of my mom's life insurance that went to pay off her credit cards was huge.  Dad said he'd never do what she did, but, he has and I'd hate to see what his balances are now.  He was never comfortable with cc debt and just didn't look at what mom did and just believed her when she said she paid everything off each month..  Not even close.

Marjorie

Karen- 6 hours does not imply any specific distance or pace. You're welcome.

Carol-when? I'm there and will bring David and Katie.

Ginny- woohoo!

Lisa