Womens Running

(Over40) structure weekend (Read 20 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Running gives us structure for tolerating a lot, strong legs, lungs etc.

just did a mile. Can you all believe how behaved I am?  But I did not push my hip. It fealt pretty good. It is really cold for me too. I've only needed a shirt over my sports bra 2 times and even then not an absolute necessity. Yowza today my hands were icicles. If I'd run more I'd have needed gloves and arm warmers. So 70 to cold Runs very fast!  I've had a few 60 degrees runs but not 40s. That was a shock to the system.

Dh dh got called in for a fire investigation. At 2 am!  So no puppy pool. I have a hair cut and color appointment and no way he will be back to take Hammy. These investigation things take forever. So I cancelled his pool.

Im im treating myself to some shopping after the hair cut.

Good luck racers!

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - You are very disciplined!!!  Enjoy the hair cut/color AND the shopping.  Always fun Smile

Damarias - Good luck on MCM tomorrow!!!

Karen - I'm glad the weather is going to be good for MCM....Jenny is running it, too!  I'm excited for her.  50 miler coming up...I seriously don't know how you do all the miles.  You must recover quickly???

What a crazy work week Shocked of course, not sure if it was just me being tired from trip to Vegas and then marathon.  I was pretty cranky yesterday, my legs were feeling good so I went out for a 4 miler (first run since Columbus)....I felt sooooo much better after.

Have a great Saturday!

Carol

Anonymous Guest

Marjorie, knowing you, I'm more impressed at how good you are being than if you posted another 20 mile run! I hope that came out right....I mean, it amazes me the number of miles you run, but I go crazy cutting back and don't run nearly as much as you!

Carol, I saw Jenny posting on fb about doing a Segway tour downtown with her brother and it reminded me that she was here to do the marathon. I want to go spectate, but I'll probably be too lazy. I think I do recover pretty quickly, although it's taking me a lot longer to recover from Mohawk Hudson than from most. I guess because I really pushed that one, and most of them I run at long run pace or just a little faster.

I am thinking I'll blow off the trails and just run around the neighborhood today. I slept in and have a ton of errands to do, and I've been wasting time on facebook for quite awhile now and morning is almost over. Oops!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm back from a chilly 8 miles. Shins seem to be holding up ok, so I'm thinking I can salvage my half training. Probably won't be able to match my PR, though.

Marjorie - good job taking it easy. It was cold here too this morning, it was only 33 degrees when I started out at 9:30. It warmed up nicely, though.

Carol - yay for the good run! Sounds like you've recovered nicely.

Karen - I would think the effort you put out at Mohawk Hudson would definitely mean a longer recovery. Enjoy the neighborhood run.

Off to shower and have some lunch. DH and DS1 are going up to Boone today for the Appalachian State football game, so I'll just have 2 boys for the day. I might even sneak a nap in. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Happy Saturday, everyone.  I agree, running is good for building mental and physical fortitude.  Although sometimes the fortitude comes most into play when injured and not running!  Knock on wood, no injuries for me but I've been having some niggles.  Tapering for NYC so did 10 miles today and will be taking it easy this week.

Marjorie, very good that you are restraining yourself from running too much.  I'm sure the pups are disappointed that there's no pool today but hopefully next week.  Enjoy your visit to the salon and shopping.

Carol, running is good for getting rid of the crankies.   You've been busy so maybe a little OBF (overall body fatigue, as my running coach says) is contributing to it.

Karen, did you get out for your run around the neighborhood?  Beware of FB and those other time wasters on the interwebs!

Cindy, glad to hear the problem with your shins has cleared up.  When is your HM?  I wouldn't write off a PR just yet -- if you've had some extra rest to heal your shins, that could be a good thing.

MTA:  Damaris, have a great time at MCM on Sunday!

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

I did get my 10 in, 10.1 to be exact. Which is good, because I just put this recipe I'm making for dinner into myfitnesspal and one serving is 732 calories! I guess when something calls for 1/2 cup of heavy cream, that's a sign it's going to have a few more calories than my normal dinner recipes. Oh well, spicy sausage pasta is going to be ready in about 10 minutes!

Cindy, glad the shins are holding up - you still have a good bit of time before your half, don't you? All is not lost.

Gatsby, hooray for taper!! The closer we get to NYCM time the more I think maybe I do want to run it. Plus my new boss is from NYC so could definitely give me a list of must-sees.

I've been entertaining myself by looking at places to stay for Boston on airbnb. I've never used it but have friends that swear by it. I have a reservation for a hotel out in the burbs, but it would be nice to get something downtown for my first Boston. I found a couple apartments under $300/night, which is way more than I'd be paying in the burbs but way less than the ridiculous $500+ I was seeing for hotel rooms.

Karen, we're trying airbnb for the first time in NY next weekend.  I think we got a good place (much less per night than the hotel we had reserved and within walking distance of the finish line).  But It was a little irritating that several places we liked were listed as available but when I requested a reservation, the place wasn't really available or they weren't sure whether it would be available (or maybe they just didn't like my profile, haha).  And one time a host accepted our reservation then cancelled it a few days later (but airbnb gave us a $50 credit when that happened since they consider that bad host behavior).  So NY hosts were a little flakey.  But I think it worked out well in the end and I'll report back after next weekend.

PS That pasta you're fixing sounds yummy.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

I went to Fusion this morning, then followed it by a 5 mile run.  Wasn't sure how my legs would feel, last time I tried to run after a weight workout, they were jello.  But, I took the first mile really slow and actually felt good the entire time.

Marjorie - great restraint, glad the hip is feeling good.

Carol - nice 4 miler!  You definitely had a crazy week!

Karen - great 10!  That recipe sounds delish, just based on the cream ha ha

Cindy - so glad the shin is feeling okay.  You should be good for a December Half!

Gatsby - Ohh, I didn't realize you were doing NYC, cool!

Getting ready to eat some chili and watch "The Heat" Smile  Planning a run with my Sunday Running Buddy tomorrow, we'll see about the marathon she was talking about training for (next June).

camille2

Hello everyone. I'm back at the cabin until Thursday. It's so nice to be home. I'm having a cranberry/sparkling wine cocktail to celebrate. I don't know if I'll remember all the personals, but I  read most days. Hope everyone has healed.

Marjorie, I am impressed that you're behaving.  Too bad Hammie missed pool and too bad for hubby getting called out at 2 am!  It was chilly (30's) here, too. I didn't take long sleeves to my mom's and had to wait till afternoon so I wouldn't freeze. It's time to pack every clothing option, I guess.

Cindy, big shout out to you for the 1000 miles for the year!

Is that Jenny from beginners who is doing MCM? If so, that's great!

Demaris, good luck on MCM! It's my favorite big marathon (though the number I've done is limited.)

Karen, it sounds like you're liking the job.  Nice 10!  Planning for Boston must feel exciting.

Lisa, it's so nice to read about your miles now, even on the treadmill.  Progress. : ).  I thought about you on the run/walk this afternoon. The greenway is in town, but it was so nice to be in the "woods". I hope before fall is over, you can make it out to a trail, even for a hike. It was good for my soul, if you know what  mean.  BTW, I think those inches from your thighs and hips came south for winter and settled on my stomach. They're unwanted guests.

Gatsby, your marathon is coming up in a month or so, right?  I've forgotten which one, but it sounds like your training is going great.

Carol, enjoy the weekend!   I'm sorry you had a bad week and am glad the run helped. Wedding is soon!  : )

Tessa,  just after I returned to GA, my mom had an episode of such severe back pain that she could barely stand. She also had to have a catheter for a few weeks (out now), prob related to her osteoporosis/spinal issues. She's improved a lot,  but we aren't sure if she'll get back to her independent status and have been taking turns staying with her, hoping she will.  Since I'm a widow and a nurse, my turns have been coming up most often and lasting longest. : )   We're looking at options, but know changes will be hard for her...she's lived on the same road since she was born.   She's  considerate and since the catheter has been out, hasn't been waking us at night.  The only hard with her is being there so much.  Anyway, decisions are ahead and while we don't want to face them, it's been several weeks and we have to. Again, you really have my sympathy in taking care of someone demanding.  My dad was demanding and thought nothing of calling out at night. It was absolutely grim. We had words a few times (I really do understand your son's frustration). My mom is a cake walk in comparison. Just a thought, have you considered asking Hospice about Ambien for your hubby, if he isn't on it? Or maybe for you, to sleep thru it. : )  Sleep makes everything more bearable, for me anyway.

On a happier note, I did 7.5-8 miles this afternoon at the greenway on the way home. Sunny, crisp fall afternoon. That's the longest run (ok, some walking) since August and was slow, but oh, so nice!  I felt almost like a runner again. : )

Edit to add:  Hi Laura!  glad your run was good!

Anyone know how Linda is? She had those knee issues?

Arimathea

Tessa

13 miles with MM this morning -- really good run, we went up through the paseos (paths in various housing tracts) and explored a new tract.

Marjorie, sorry that Hammy didn't get his puppy pool play this morning.

Karen, your Mohawk-Hudson performance is worthy of rest afterwards!

Carol, hope this week is easier.

Cindy, yay for non-painful shins! Did you get your nap?

GatsbyBird, when do you leave for NYC?

Damaris, good luck tomorrow!

Laura, is Fusion a group weights class?

runlikeagirl18

Gatsby, Karen and Laura - thanks for the encouraging words about my half. It's December 7, so I do still have some time. The biggest hit is that I haven't been able to do any speedwork or tempo runs.

Camille - I'll bet you're glad to be home!

Tessa - I did get a nap - I set the two younger boys up with some popcorn and Scooby Doo and sacked out for a bit. When is your MM's race?

Off to bed-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Happy Weekend!

Friday was PT but since they wanted to get out by 6 only was able to get 1.5 miles in but bumped it up to 70%.  Back of knee pain gone still that front of knee (basically the original pain), but it's less.

Saturday was gym with bike, elliptical, and arc trainer...all at least 35 minutes each up to level 10. I guess I am getting stronger. Was afraid I may have set off the "lunk" alarm though.

Getting out of car and guy asks me what "ultra" sticker means. Tried to sort of deflect ambiguously with "running thing."

Guy pushes: "So is it like a marathon or something."

Me: "sort of."

Guy: "ha.. but it's not like you ran a marathon."

Me: sigh..."no.  it's like running 2 marathons."

I asked for forgiveness from the PF gods for sinning. LOL

Last night went to see Psycho at that old art deco theater I love.  Nothing like seeing a classic on the big screen!!

Meeting Katie for a hike this am but will try a bit of jogging on soft trails.  Wish me luck!

Camille-there are some HUGE church complexes here too.  they serve their purpose and hopefully are all set up to do good (easy for fraud to sneak in to those big settings).

Tessa-wouldn't get the work reduced cost if I went to another one.  Will keep the app as long as I can and hopefully after the holidays work one will restart with more interest.

Marjorie-you are going to be a poster child. I know the PT at my place says how hard it is to practice what they preach.  Darn human thing and all.

Damaris-have a great time at MCM today.

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Apparently there were super long lines and complaining at the MCM expo yesterday, but I will say that they do the best runner tracking I've seen. I've currently got a whole bunch of little animated runners on the course map on my computer screen and can't seem to stop watching and get out running. Which I need to get done because I have to go down to the boat with DH this afternoon. Apparently when they did the repairs (that caused the last sale to fall through), they left the boat a mess and we have a potential buyer coming to look at it this coming week. So we will be cleaning and folding sails, which they took off the boat, but then just threw below. This yard has been a pain to deal with.

Okay, personals after that. Must get moving.

LC Runs

Just returned from 9 solo miles - was supposed to go with my Sunday running partner but she had to back out.  Beautiful day, 38 degrees, sunny, dry and fall colors are still showing.

Camille - enjoy your quiet cabin time!  Nice run Smile

Tessa - nice 13 miler!  Yes, Fusion is a weight/cardio circuit class, I really like it though they've changed the schedule so I can only go 1-2 times per week.  My butt hurts today!

Hi Cindy!

Lisa - glad to hear you are having less pain, you are getting there!

Hi Karen - good luck with the boat Smile

Hey!  10 miles this morning in the beautiful and cool fall weather.

Sounds like everyone is having a nice weekend.  Gotta go!