1600/3200 Track shape (Read 384 times)

HermosaBoy

Great. Maybe you can share the kinds of workouts your runners are doing, and what works and what doesn't work?

good luck!!

We will see how it goes.

We have a small, but motivated team of approximately 10 boys and girls combined.  Going to be difficult to fill out all the events (4x8, open 8, 16 and 32).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

High school you wouldn't listen to some weird old dude.

My kids don't listen to me now, so your point is well taken.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

I have no regrets about the way I raced in HS -- I am sure that I hardly ever ran an even race, and I am sure that I am a much "smarter" racer now. I blew up as often as I ran well, but I always had enough faith in myself to put myself in position to do something special.

When it comes to racing, I'll take fiery over methodical every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When it comes to racing, I'll take fiery over methodical every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I won more races methodically than I did fiery.

But they're not mutually exclusive.  I'm looking at it this way -- methodically does not mean slowly.  I'm arguing for running smartly and methodically to put yourself in position to be fiery at the end of the race.  I was much more successful when the last lap, as opposed to the first, was my fastest split.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

They are not logically mutually exclusive categories, but they are rare to find in combination in teenagers.

joescott

Does that include when you try to help a fiery [passionate, irrational?] masters' runner who takes off for a 16:00 5000 at a national meet and blows up and ends up just jogging it in for a 17:50?  (That was on a Sunday).  (Now that I think about it, in reference to my earlier entry in this thread, it is just possible that age has bestowed upon me no wisdom at all)!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

Does that include when you try to help a fiery [passionate, irrational?] masters' runner who takes off for a 16:00 5000 at a national meet and blows up and ends up just jogging it in for a 17:50?  (That was on a Sunday).  (Now that I think about it, in reference to my earlier entry in this thread, it is just possible that age has bestowed upon me no wisdom at all)!

You're incorrigible, sir. Which is why you are still at it.

SkylineTrack

The races on Friday went alright. It was supposed to be 60 degrees and fairly nice but it wound up being 20-25 mph winds down the backstretch and mostly cloudy.

3200: It started of really slow and the lead pack went through the 1600 in 5:28, I just sat in the pack to avoid the wind as much a possible. I took the lead on the 6th lap and a guy from  Twin Falls (Idaho school) stuck right with me. With 750 to go I let him pass so I could draft for one more lap and then kick it in, but as soon as he passed me he took off and put 15 seconds on me in the last 650. I finished in 10:48.5. The guy who beat me was a 4:27 guy last year and the guy who finished in 3rd behind me was a 4:45 1600 guy indoors this year so while the time wasn't spectacular I was pretty pleased with the competition I was holding my own against .

800: The 800 was 45ish minutes later and the weather had gotten slight worse, it was a little rainy and colder. The competion was pretty weak. I went through 400 in 67 and hung on for a 3rd place in 2:19. Didn't feel to great but I didn't feel all that awesome in the 32 either.

1600: Another 45 minutes to an hour later. The race started out solid a 75 first 400, but I was pretty tired and dropped to a 5:10 and 4th place.

4x4 Anchor: 10 minutes later I anchored our 4x4 with a 59 and got 2nd place by probably .5 or so. It was tough but  a fun way to end the first meet.

Next week hopefully there will be better weather to go after a solid time.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice job, ST!  Thanks for the report - sounds like you're off to a solid start, and you should have a lot of good performances to come.  Keep up the good work!

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like you did pretty good.  You can't expect to approach your mile potential when it is your fourth race of the night.  I don't think I ever ran more than 3 in HS (4X800 running anchor and only doing what I had to do to win, 3200, 1600).  I did the 10K/5K/4X400 in college once though, and the last two were back-to-back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

Ah yeah... When I was in high school, at dual meets, it was always "Kelly, just run the 3200 today."

Then it was "Kelly, the points are really close and xyz guy isn't feeling well, mind running the 1600?"

Then it was "Kelly, any chance you can get us a couple points in the 800?"

And then it was "Hey, abc guy isn't feeling well, can you run a leg on the 4x400?"

My senior year, I'd say that happened 5 out of 6 times, including our zone qualifying meet for state.

In the long term, I think it was good for me. I was getting a lot more of a workout on meet days than other people. And our order of events allowed it to happen, until I graduated. Then they changed the order around so that now its nearly impossible.

Ah... the good old days...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

In the long term, I think it was good for me. I was getting a lot more of a workout on meet days than other people. 

The problem was we did a dual meet on Tuesday, intervals on Thursday, and an invitational on Saturday.... Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

HermosaBoy

The problem was we did a dual meet on Tuesday, intervals on Thursday, and an invitational on Saturday.... Big grin

I am struggling with this for my squad.  While we would like to compete in the meets, it might be tough given the numbers and the frequency of meets...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Just a dude.

Ah... we did only one meet a week. Usually dual meets were on Fridays and invitationals were on Saturdays. I think we even had a off week most years in there somewhere...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

I am struggling with this for my squad.  While we would like to compete in the meets, it might be tough given the numbers and the frequency of meets...

It's easier on the kids if you use some of the less-meaningful meets as workout replacements, and don't run them down with too many events.