New Runner looking for advice (Read 103 times)

Apple1

This is my first post here so thanks in advance for any tips you might be able to give me.

I have been lurking and reading and have learned quite a bit. I started running about 5 weeks ago as a way to increase my fitness and help shed a few pounds. I have always admired people that run, but just never started. I am a total beginner to running, but not completely unfit as I have a very active job and my husband and I love hiking.  I regularly walked 2-3 miles 4-5 days a week before I started running. I am 5' 8.5" 180 lbs, and 49 years young.

I started with a C25K program and completed the first 3 weeks, but then became frustrated with how slow the program was progressing. I wouldn't be ready to stop running when the program wanted me too. I felt like I was getting into the pace where you feel like you could run for ever and then, bam time to walk. So I got the Runkeeper app and just started doing my own run/walk routine. I have progressed to running 4 days a week about 2 miles at a time. I am still doing run/walk segments, but I am running 5 minutes walk 1 minute, run 7 minutes, walk 1 minute, or what ever feels good. Basically I am running at a slow pace until I feel like a break and then starting again. I would like to run 5 days a week 2 miles at a time gradually increasing the distance as long as I continue to feel this good.

I was a little sore the first couple of weeks, but now I  just feel really good with very minimal soreness. I don't want to injure myself and after reading some of the advice here for other runners I wonder if I am going too fast? I loved running from the first week and I look forward to getting outside and I actually have less energy on my rest days.  Do you think I could increase to 5 days week at 2 miles each run, and then add a mile every two weeks? I do all of my running outside on asphalt early morning before it gets too hot.

Thanks.

You could prolly run 5 days a week, OR you could stick with 4 days. 3 days running, one rest then another day running. Maybe run 2 miles day one, 3 on day 2, and 2 on day 3, rest a day, and 4th day-run either 2 or 3 miles. AND, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you run, as long as you have fun. Good Luck

Apple1

Thank you for the advice manfromnantucket.

I think I will add in another day and just keep running easy with a gradual increase. I want to sign up for a 5k this fall and I think I shoud be ready by then if I can stay healthy.

Apple1

I had my best run yet using the advice here to slow down. I ran 1.2 mi without walking at a average pace of 14.22. That is the furthest I have run without stopping and it was a full minute slower than my average pace yesterday of 13.28 mi with more walking.

I then went on to finish my 2.0 mi run with just that one 60 second walk break. I finished up the run with a 14.30 avg pace and my avg HR was 140.

I feel like I could have gone longer if it wasn't for the humidity. It was 93% and I was drenched at the end.

Thank you so much for the valuable information on these forums. I feel that if I keep reading here my running will keep improving.

runmichigan

There are multiple C25K programs out there; some are better than others.  But just like any training program, nothing is one size fits all and you may need to make adjustments.  As long as your motivation is not suffering and you do not have any soreness that lasts for more than a day or two, you should have no problem shifting to running 4 days a week.  I would recommend having a rest day (no running) nearly every other day.  The goal should be to continue to reduce the walking breaks by continuing to base it on how you feel.  After you can run two miles without a walk break, you can then move up to three miles.  As you move up in distance, you will want to consider varying how much you run each day; you don't necessarily want to run the same distance every time you run.  Vary your distance as a way to change up the running to keep it fresh and to give yourself easier and harder days.

Apple1

Thank you for the advice runmichigan. I have been running 4 days a week for the past 3 weeks and have decided to add in one more day starting this week. I will run less tomorrow and finish off my week with a rest day on Saturday.

So my proposed schedule for next week looks like this;

Sunday- 2.5 mile easy

Monday- 2.0 mile easy

Tuesday- Rest

Wednesday- 2.5 mile easy

Thursday- 1.5 mile easy

Friday- 2.0 mile easy

Saturday- Rest

How does this look to you? I am running at a very easy effort pace and if I am understanding correctly I should continue to do this for a while to increase my endurance before I worry about running faster. Thanks for all of the help.

an amazing likeness

It can be a really good idea to run for time, rather than distance.  On your good days...you'll log more distance, on your less-than-good days, you log less -- but either way, the time on your feet is there and building up your running 'base'.

Sunday- 60 min easy mix run/walk

Monday- rest, core work, yoga, cross-train

Tuesday- 30 min

Wednesday- 40 min

Thursday- 30 min

Friday- 30 mile easy

Saturday- Rest

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Apple1

It can be a really good idea to run for time, rather than distance.  On your good days...you'll log more distance, on your less-than-good days, you log less -- but either way, the time on your feet is there and building up your running 'base'.

Tuesday- 30 min

Wednesday- 40 min

Thursday- 30 min

Friday- 30 mile easy

Saturday- Rest

Thank you for posting a schedule. I hadn't thought about running by time versus distance. It makes good sense to me so I think I will try your advice next week and see how it goes. Ill report back.

Daniel

Tuesday- 30 min

Wednesday- 40 min

Thursday- 30 min

Friday- 30 mile easy

Saturday- Rest

Friday looks like it's going to suck even if it is an easy run, lol. I do agree with what milktruck laid out for you. Just get comfortable in running a little more each time. The distance will come as long as you keep working at it. Good luck and keep us updated. Just remember you are making yourself stronger and healthier just by getting out there and trying. Good luck and keep us updated.

Apple1

Friday looks like it's going to suck even if it is an easy run, lol. I do agree with what milktruck laid out for you. Just get comfortable in running a little more each time. The distance will come as long as you keep working at it. Good luck and keep us updated. Just remember you are making yourself stronger and healthier just by getting out there and trying. Good luck and keep us updated.

I will give it a try and see how it goes. If Friday sucks too bad I will run on Monday and make Tuesday a rest, cross train day the following week, that way I would only have 3 consecutive run days until a rest.

I am really enjoying myself and today's run was such a break through for me. Figuring out that I should run slower was a game changer..

Honestly I am surprised at how good I feel. I expected to feel much suckier for longer when I first started. Maybe I underestimated my fitness a little, but I don't want to get too confident this early in the game. I don't want to get injured and end up having to stop. I actually look forward to getting up at 5:00 am and out the door running by 5:30.

If you would have asked me 6 months ago if I wanted to get up before dawn and run, I would have laughed for sure.

Apple1

So this morning I had a good easy run. My plan was to just run for 20 minutes because this is my 3rd consecutive day without a rest, and day 5 for the week. I was also trying out my new pair of Brooks Ghost 10 shoes.

I ended up running for 21:26 because I was so close to 1.5 miles and I felt good so I decided I had to keep going. I think I may end up being my own worst enemy when it comes to taking things slow. It seems I am way more competitive then I realized. When I see a PB within reach I can't stop myself from going for it. I ran the first 1.0 mile at 14:21 and the last .5 at 13:29.

I logged my last 2 weeks of runs here so I can have another record of them. I never know how to label a run, easy, hard, medium? I ended up leaving them all as easy, but really if I go by effort only yesterday and today were easy. I guess I should edit them.

Based on how I did this week and how I feel I am thinking about using the schedule milktruck posted for me with a slight modification:

Sunday- 60 min run/walk

Monday- 25- minute- run easy

Tuesday- Rest/ cross train

Wednesday- 40 min run/walk

Thursday- 30 min-run

Friday- 25 min-run easy

Saturday- rest

Does this sound logical? My dh has been warning me to take it slow and I know I need to follow good advice if I want to keep running. Thanks for all of your help.

SMART Approach

Remember, there is no rush if you want to make running part of your lifestyle. It will take you at least 6 months to get running fit. I recommend doing a schedule for 3 weeks, adapt and then bump the load or miles or time running and repeat. Be smart and don't forget some strength and core work. As we get older, I think most of us need to be proactive with staying strong unless biomechanically gifted-which I feel are a smaller percentage of runners.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Apple1

Remember, there is no rush if you want to make running part of your lifestyle. It will take you at least 6 months to get running fit. I recommend doing a schedule for 3 weeks, adapt and then bump the load or miles or time running and repeat. Be smart and don't forget some strength and core work. As we get older, I think most of us need to be proactive with staying strong unless biomechanically gifted-which I feel are a smaller percentage of runners.

Thank you for your input tchuck. I have some resistance bands that I have been using and I have been doing some exercises like, led lifts, squats, push ups, sit ups, and stretching on my rest days. I don't like the gym so I am just working out at home.

I am looking forward to seeing where I am at in 6 months time.

Apple1

This morning was my first run in the pouring rain. I liked it as it was better than the high humidity. I ran for 38 minutes without walking this morning so a new PR. I guess I am improving slowly but surely.