'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'd be willing to bet they have quite the influence on what is covered by health insurances. 

Care to explain then why one of the nation's largest insurers relegates branded medications (those sold by evil pharma companies) to latter tiers in the formulary, after patients have tried and failed generics?

LINK  (start on page 20 for antidepressants as an example)

And given the Sunshine Act, the pieces of which have been coming into place for a number of years now, please explain how physicians are receiving kickbacks based on their prescription numbers without this showing up in public databases.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Daves_Not_Here

Feeling the growl again

Now the random victim is a decorated WWII combat veteran...

Beaten to death outside an Eagles lodge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Gator eye

I've always wondered why prescription drugs are advertised to the public. It seems like 2/3rds the ads on TV are for presciption meds. I can't go out and buy it without seeing a doctor, so what's the point, other than for manufacturers to coax patients to self-diagnose and pressure their healthcare providers to give them the magic pill they saw on TV?

And the following year advertisements for a class action law suit begin. People are looking for a magic pill to fix everything.

Prince of Fatness

Beaten to death

I think that we need to ban fists.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

FBI statistics indicate that they kill about as many people as "assault weapons".  I think you are on to something here.  I see people carrying them in the open all the time too, they don't even bother to conceal them except in the winter.  And then they still print right through their gloves.

If someone attacks me while I'm on a run with their fists, at least I have a fighting chance.  Not so if that someone attacks me with an assault weapon.

No Talent Drips

Good morning strawman! And isn't it a lovely morning?

Dei Gratia

Prince of Fatness

If someone attacks me while I'm on a run with their fists, at least I have a fighting chance.  Not so if that someone attacks me with an assault weapon.

What about three someones?

Anyway just to be clear I was joking.

Not at it at all. 

What about three someones?

Anyway just to be clear I was joking.

Depends on who the someones are.  With some someones I would like my odds against three or more.

Feeling the growl again

Since assault weapons are fully-automatic by definition and those are extraordinarily rare even in criminal hands, you're about as likely to win the Powerball as have that happen.  Now if you meant a scary looking semi-automatic rifle, it is perhaps a bit more likely.

However, the vast, vast majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.  ~75% handguns, <5% rifles, and those scary looking "assault weapons" are only one type of rifle included in that <5%.  In fact >5X as many people are killed by knives, and 2X as many by fists/hands.  Yet when you fear being the victim of a crime, it's assault weapons that come to mind.  A bit misplaced, isn't it?  The media does not report an accurate view of the world...every crime with a scary-looking semi auto rifle is plastered across the news but little mention is made of more common crimes, so people start thinking the extreme is more common than it is. 

Criminal change their tactics according to what they have on hand, and they choose the time and place of their crime to make sure they have the upper hand.  The last person out exercising on a trail around here they did not have a gun, but they simply had 3 people there to assault him.  For awhile they threw garbage cans at passing bikers to wreck them and jump them while they lay injured.

Anyways, let's ban assault beavers too, there's a youtube video from Europe on that from a few months ago.

Prince of Fatness

Depends on who the someones are.  With some someones I would like my odds against three or more.

OK, I said that I was joking, but since you want to continue with this let me ask you a question.

What would banning guns do to save that poor guy in Washington?

BTW I am not a gun guy.  Never had them  Never will.

Not at it at all. 

Since assault weapons are fully-automatic by definition and those are extraordinarily rare even in criminal hands, you're about as likely to win the Powerball as have that happen.  Now if you meant a scary looking semi-automatic rifle, it is perhaps a bit more likely.

However, the vast, vast majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.  ~75% handguns, <5% rifles, and those scary looking "assault weapons" are only one type of rifle included in that <5%.  In fact >5X as many people are killed by knives, and 2X as many by fists/hands.  Yet when you fear being the victim of a crime, it's assault weapons that come to mind.  A bit misplaced, isn't it?  The media does not report an accurate view of the world...every crime with a scary-looking semi auto rifle is plastered across the news but little mention is made of more common crimes, so people start thinking the extreme is more common than it is. 

Criminal change their tactics according to what they have on hand, and they choose the time and place of their crime to make sure they have the upper hand.  The last person out exercising on a trail around here they did not have a gun, but they simply had 3 people there to assault him.  For awhile they threw garbage cans at passing bikers to wreck them and jump them while they lay injured.

Anyways, let's ban assault beavers too, there's a youtube video from Europe on that from a few months ago.

Yes I agree, there is no need to bring "assault weapons" into the picture.  So substitute "gun" for "assault weapon" in my original statement.    Whether it's a handgun or rifle or whatever, I do not like my odds compared with someone attempting to attack me with fists.  The point is, guns of any type have a superior ability to inflict harm on a runner.  You can't harm someone with your fists from a distance.

DaBurger

Yes I agree, there is no need to bring "assault weapons" into the picture.  So substitute "gun" for "assault weapon" in my original statement.    Whether it's a handgun or rifle or whatever, I do not like my odds compared with someone attempting to attack me with fists.  The point is, guns of any type have a superior ability to inflict harm on a runner.  You can't harm someone with your fists from a distance.

So do rocks, bows and javelins.

Know thyself.