Shoes & Mileage musings (Read 1226 times)

I just hit 300 miles with my current NB 857's. Judging that as the low end of start-thinking-about-new-shoes mileage, I started looking at a replacement. They just came out with the 858's at a higher price, but I was able to find some clearanced overstock 857's in my size a the local running store. While trying them on I asked the clerk (all of them are harder core runners) what a good rule of thumb for shoe mileage is, and he said "400-600 miles, unless you are running 70 miles a week or are rotating them. In which case you may get 500-700" (He didn't say 'less than 70' but that is what I assumed he meant.) To which I thought Surprised Shocked and then Shocked Surprised. Granted, the 857 bills itself as a high mileage shoe, but In all the discussions on the subject in forums such as this I have never heard anything close to that high. Anyway, now that I have the new pair (prematurely?) I am starting to imagine pains that weren't there before, while wearing the old pair. It could be psychosomatic, but I am phasing them out none the less. Will work the new pair in to rotation, methinks, starting with the next long run.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a NB girl and find that with every model I start having issues in the 225-250 range. I keep hoping I will get to the point where I can get at least 300 miles out of my shoes, but I think I would need to be faster and/or have a longer stride for that to happen. Other slower runners like me with short strides report similar low-mileage history with their shoes in different brands, too, so I don't think it's the NBs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've only gotten 200 on the last two pairs of my Mizuno's before I've felt noticable changes in the cushioning. There is next to no wear on the treads but the little air pockets at the back are crushed. I've been able to get close to 400 miles out of just about every other brand. It's a shame too as I love the way the Wave Riders feel for the first 200 miles. Angry

I haven't used New Balance for at least 10 years, so I don't have any advice about them specifically. I will say, though, that you should always rotate between at least 2 pairs of shoes, especially if you ever run two or more days in a row. Mileage wise, I generally get 400 to 600 miles depending on the brand and how much I abused the shoes.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I've only gotten 200 on the last two pairs of my Mizuno's before I've felt noticable changes in the cushioning. There is next to no wear on the treads but the little air pockets at the back are crushed. I've been able to get close to 400 miles out of just about every other brand. It's a shame too as I love the way the Wave Riders feel for the first 200 miles. Angry
            thanks for the heads up - I'm in my first pair of Wave Riders - I'll be sure to watch out for that

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I haven't used New Balance for at least 10 years, so I don't have any advice about them specifically. I will say, though, that you should always rotate between at least 2 pairs of shoes, especially if you ever run two or more days in a row. Mileage wise, I generally get 400 to 600 miles depending on the brand and how much I abused the shoes.
              Looks like I might have to switch to that method. I'm pretty light at 110 lbs, but I only get about 300 miles out of a pair of shoes before trouble starts. My husband thinks it's because I probably have shorter strides than most people.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rotating shoes is worth a try and I have been consistently rotating 2-3 pair for probably 3 months, now, but I don't really see that it's made much difference in mileage--YMMV. It IS nice, however, to always have a dry pair and to have a couple of different models to not continually stress your leg muscles in exactly the same way. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I usually get about 200 miles out of a pair of shoes before I start getting injuries. However, I have a theory: since I have a really short stride and an unusually slow pace, I figure I probably get about the same number of hours and/or steps out of a pair of shoes that someone running 500 miles per shoe gets. Anyone ever read any studies on alternate measures of shoe life? This is just my personal theory.

Roads were made for journeys...

Imminent Catastrophe

Another question for you--how long do orthotics last? I use a pair of off-the-shelf inserts. I've never heard discussion on how long they last.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I usually get about 200 miles out of a pair of shoes before I start getting injuries. However, I have a theory: since I have a really short stride and an unusually slow pace, I figure I probably get about the same number of hours and/or steps out of a pair of shoes that someone running 500 miles per shoe gets. Anyone ever read any studies on alternate measures of shoe life? This is just my personal theory.
                      That's exactly the theory I have, and I have seen similar discussions around the net. Not sure if there has ever been a formal study to prove the case, but it makes sense. k

~ Sarah Kay

I too have been rotating between two pairs - the old NB857 and a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax 10 that I WON as a door prize at a 10k! Between that and the discontinued-model clearance price I am keeping my $/mile very efficient. I will probably now fold in the new pair into rotation and squeeze a few extra miles out of the old NB's before retirement.