1/2 Marathon 2 weeks b4 marathon? (Read 674 times)

Go Pre!

I am thinking of running a half, not at a full out pace...but sort of like a practice 2 full weeks before the marathon....thoughts?
      my training program calls for a 12miler 2 weeks before...I'd say go for it, but run conservative. Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

Go Pre!

Same here, the distance is 12 miles for me too at that point...and though y'all don't know me from a hole in the ground, I have a tendancy to give my all in everything I do. That said, if I slipped up and didn't hold back, is 2 weeks enough recovery time?
          Same here, the distance is 12 miles for me too at that point...and though y'all don't know me from a hole in the ground, I have a tendancy to give my all in everything I do. That said, if I slipped up and didn't hold back, is 2 weeks enough recovery time?
          I think the world will end. Please spare us all and dont run the half! Tongue Seriously, is this your first marathon? You've done a half before, right? Did you run 2 weeks after and how did you feel? My guess is you will have time to recover and be fine. Then again, I would also ask what your goals are. If this is your first marathon, I would probably err on the side of too much rest during your taper and being too refreshed and ready for your big goal. Do you have a friend who you could run with during the race to slow you down so you dont give it your everything? Disclaimer: Advice is coming from someone who has never run a marathon and who is currently hobbling around on crutches. Wink
            ya. I dunno. Think about what you want to accomplish at the marathon, kwim? I have a half this weekend with more hills than I'm used to. I typically run balls to the wall at races but this is between 2 20milers and I can't afford injuries since my real goal is to BQ at the Rock n Roll. So I plan on landing somewhere short of a PR but better than embarrassingly slow. Clowning around That's my best short-long answer. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

shonan marathon, girl

I did a 20k run 2 weeks before my marathon and I was fine. Make sure that you run it as a LSD. I went to a running seminar the other day and there was one guy who ran 30k two weeks before a marathon, now that is not smart. I think a friend of mine in Toronto is participating in the same marathon as you. He has only done one half marathon race and one 30k run for practice so far, and not much running on a regular basis. Daddyo you will do fine. Good luck! Lifesabeach has good advice, do the 20k and make sure you are conservative. I just wanted to say good luck with your training Lifesabeach! You are going to BQ at the Rock n Roll marathon.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you think you can keep your pace under control, do the half. If you're pretty convinced you'll get caught up in it and run too fast, I'd say skip it. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I would run it. Run the first 3 miles at a relaxed pace then treat it like any other half. Two weeks is plenty of time to recover and it will be a great last big workout.

Runners run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ditto what Mike said. It is an excellent way to get your body into tip top shape for the marathon.

Go Pre!

Thanks for your advice folks. Ya, it's my first full marathon and I have 1 main 'to finish' goal and a 'sub 4 hour' goal. Last October, I raced the weekend after a half marathon. I like Mikey's thoughts of going out easy and making it more of a tempo workout than an actual race. Maybe even beat my half PR of 1:53:00 without doing myself in Smile thanks again Dave

Go Pre!

Alrighty then...I am signed up. Wish me...well....Good Pacing! Evil grin
                          Goog Pacing, daddyo! Put some slow songs on your ipod to slow you down, and check your time avery mile. But above all, relax, enjoy it, and have fun!
                          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                            Late to the party but I echo what the others said. Go ahead and run it. You have plenty of time to recover after the race. I think anytime you can step to the starting line you gain some sort of knowledge that is useful for future races.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also late to the party. I'm running a marathon a week before a marathon. At least one other RA will be there with me. GO FOR IT!

Go Pre!

Also late to the party. I'm running a marathon a week before a marathon. At least one other RA will be there with me. GO FOR IT!
                                Trent, you are a different breed! Smile I just spoke to an co-worker who swims a few times the week between long races and swears by it. OK, now I am excited to get out there with the people of our running world!