Paleo (Read 1215 times)

Scout7

Except bacon.  Well technically its excluded for being processed but in reality Paleo message boards worship at the alter of bacon. Why else would i have tried it?

And the mechanical processing isn't really true....Mechanical processing is allowed, its more an ingredients thing - but coconut products are HUGE. 

Overall its almost like Pollan.  Except its Eat food.  Quite a bit. Mostly meat.

Yeah, some of what's allowed depends on who you talk to, and how serious they are.

From most of what I've seen in discussions, it tends to focus heavily on eating certain fruits and vegetables (except for stuff like potatoes, they get excluded and I don't know exactly why other than "Cavemen didn't eat them"), and certain meats.  Bacon may or may not be allowable, but most of the people I talked to wouldn't eat bacon because they consider it to be a "processed" food.  Generally beef and some fish, and that was about it.

It is Pollan-esque, but in a very weird way.

"run" "2" "eat"

dinosaur bacon.

durr.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

the alter of bacon

i don't think that means what you think it means.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay, I'll bite: WHY would it exclude grains? Our paleolithic ancestors consumed grains.

"run" "2" "eat"

hi, ternt! how you be, man?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cooking, btw, is a form of processing. It is more a method of processing than grinding [grain] is.

Hawt and sexy

Dude, no one mentioned this little nugget. The Trenternet is slipping. Turd. heh You think they meant log? Or maybe whale shit?

I'm touching your pants.

Ostrich runner

Seems all domestic livestock should be excluded...right? Diets varied greatly throughout prehistory - are we actually talking paleolithic, or are other eras also fair? To some extent it looks like Mesopotamia congealed into towns for the specific purpose of processing food, er beer. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

A Saucy Wench

Seems all domestic livestock should be excluded...right? Diets varied greatly throughout prehistory - are we actually talking paleolithic, or are other eras also fair? To some extent it looks like Mesopotamia congealed into towns for the specific purpose of processing food, er beer. 

Meat is supposed to be all grass fed, and game is better

Mespotamia and the cultivating of food is the downfall of man

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich runner

Mespotamia and the cultivating of food is the downfall of man

Indians of the Lithic period with the development of Clovis points probably had the most varied diet of megafauna of any discernible period. Of course, they also killed everything and promptly had a cultural death. Maybe paleo eating isn't the best for sustainability. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Score.  At least I can get something right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm doing a paleo challenge with my CrossFit gym. We are allowed coffee, bacon, salt, tequila, red wine, so it is not a super strict challenge.

The challenge is to encourage us to stop eating grains, legumes, junk food, dairy for a month and see how we feel. I'm about halfway into the challenge and I feel good. Much better than I thought I would and better than I normally feel. I no longer have the compulsion to eat crap like I used to. The challenge has gotten me to cook a lot more, haven't gone out to eat in over 2 weeks, which is amazing for me. So for me, paleo has been good so far.

As for OP, I understand your hesitation to add in grains. I agree with what Ennay said about seeing how your running goes before adding grains. 

mta: We're supposed to eat a lot of veggies and a little fruit. Not just meat. Not just veggies.

#artbydmcbride

So Jeff's meat cupcakes are cool?

Runners run

Hawt and sexy

heh

I'm touching your pants.

So Jeff's meat cupcakes are cool?

I thought Jeff's cupcakes were delicate flowers. Another person posted the meat cupcakes.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it