Costner running movie - McFarland USA (Read 284 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oof, Waterworld! I remember that as a terrible movie!

Right, that was terrible! I had mercifully forgotten till you brought it up.

pedaling fool

The review says it's a movie about a down-on-his-luck coach...Kind of sounds like the Running version of Tin Cup...

Joann Y

Rewatched Bull Durham because I honestly couldn't remember much about it and, you are totally right mikeymike, this ain't gonna be no Bull Durham!

Joann Y

Took the kid to see this last night. It was as expected.. okay. An interesting story, generically told. Probably would have been better without Costner as the lead and if not done by Disney. Not a ton of focus on the actual running. Bland focus on cultural issues. The kid liked it though, and I stayed awake, so that's something. I don't know, 6 out of 10?

Seems like it would be OK but likely pretty cliched & sappy. I assume like another recent Disney sports movie, Million Dollar Arm. Jon Hamm --> Kevin Costner;  Indian baseball players --> Mexican-American runners.

Costner is one of the most awful actors out there IMHO, I don't get the appeal. His only contribution to the film industry was Bull Durham, which I thought was the best baseball movie made (at least until Moneyball came out). But that was movie was more about the writing than the acting, and Tim Robbins was way more interesting.

Dave

King of PhotoShop

I wrote about it today for the Dallas Morning News.  Here's my take on it:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/mcfarland-usa-and-those-spectacular-mexican-runners.html/

Spareribs

Joann Y

Despite what I said above, it wasn't a bad movie. And my 9 year old boy loved it, he thought it was fantastic. He wants to RUN. And it got us to talking about some things, which is always good. Still hold on my 6/10 but I'm sure the boy would give it 9-10/10.

Menace to Sobriety

Lemme guess, renegade, go it alone, non-conformist curmudgeon gets forced into interfacing with the rest of the team/community/world, etc, and actually contributes something to the cause, proving he really does have a good side? This pretty sums up the plot of most of the Costner movies out there.

Seriously, not a K Costner fan, but this one looks DVR-able when it comes on HBO.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Tiefsa

I liked it.  I would consider it more of a movie about the culture of the area.  I can honestly say I learned some valuable things about the Mexican culture from that movie.  The running scenery was beautiful too.  I'm glad I ran CC in Wisconsin.  Do you really run up mountains in Cali during CC races?