intermittent upload issue from garmin to mac (Read 1183 times)

suem56

Ever since I started using RA for storing my runs uploaded from my Garmin 305 I have had this problem - thought it worth asking if there's a known cure (and no, i haven't exhaustively scoured all the previous Q&A's). So, here goes

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 v1.1, browser is Safari 1.0.1

I go into Training Log / Workouts and click on Upload from GPS, and then on upload. it goes through the motions (can see % increasing till it gets to 100%) and then sometimes I get the next option to save the uploaded data - but probably at least 50% of the time I just get the Upload button re-displayed. I have another go and then the Mac freezes (get that coloured disk whirling away forever more) and I have to re-boot the Mac.  When I go back in and click on Upload again, I immediately get the 'save new data' option (ie the previous upload had worked, but it just didn't quite complete the processing).  NB I use Safari for RA cos the problem's much worse with Google Chrome. 

FWIW, I use the same version of OS X that you do, and I have the Forerunner 305 as well.  I use Firefox 8.0.1, though, and I have never had that issue.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

eric :)

suem56,

Let me get this straight.  The data was updated properly, but you don't see your workouts.  Instead, you see the upload dialog again.  When you try to upload again, that's when the workouts appear?

In my experience, if your browser hangs and you have to reboot your computer (whether it's a PC or a Mac), it's more likely a Garmin Communicator plugin problem.  None of the code that I wrote can ever hangs or crashes your browser.

As to fixing it, are you really using Safari 1.0.1?  That's a very old browser.  Have you tried upgrading your browsers, as well as installing the latest Garmin plugin?  I know it's not much of a solution, but with old software, you'll never know how they may interact.

suem56

Sorry Eric that was typo - it's Safari 5.0.1.   So, to clarify, the first upload appears not to work (I see the progress % go up to 100 but then don't see the 'save' option), the 2nd attempt hangs the computer, and after a re-boot clicking the reload button immediately brings up the Save option (without appearing to actually do any upload).  I'll try re-installing the Garmin plug-in.

suem56

Updated the plug-in - made no difference.  The uploads that fail come back with messge 

'There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

Most of the time, this error can be fixed by first disconnecting the GPS from the computer, then holding onto the Mode and Reset buttons on the GPS for several seconds.'

Needless to say the attempted 'reset' doesn't help.

Updated the plug-in - made no difference.  The uploads that fail come back with messge 

'There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

Most of the time, this error can be fixed by first disconnecting the GPS from the computer, then holding onto the Mode and Reset buttons on the GPS for several seconds.'

Needless to say the attempted 'reset' doesn't help.

suem56,

I'm a little confused.  It seems like you're reporting two separate problems.  The first error report says that the import succeeded, but you just don't see the imported workouts until you try importing again.  The second report indicates a device error.  Are we talking about two separate problems?

Let's address them one at a time.  Is your GPS connected directly to the computer (as opposed to connected to your monitor or another usb hub, which is then connected to your computer?)  If it is not, then you should use a direct connection.  If it is directly connected, try connecting to a different usb port.  Let me know if that fixes the "There was an error communicating with your device" problem.

In my experience, if your browser hangs and you have to reboot your computer (whether it's a PC or a Mac), it's more likely a Garmin Communicator plugin problem. 

I agree. I am having the exact same problem on PC. I also have the same problem when I try to upload my data to connect.garmin.com... hence the conclusion it's a plugin problem. I have had the best luck when using Google Chrome 16.0.x on RA and IE 8.0.x on connect.garmin.com.

When I have this problem, my browser hangs, which I have to restart not the whole computer. When I have to restart the browser, I also unplug my Garmin, restart it and plug it back in... not sure whether that helps. Finally, I started having this problem after I updated the plugin recently... another evidence supporting the theory that it's a plugin issue.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get this problem with Safari, as well...but it's DEFINITELY more common when I have a few weeks worth of workouts on the Garmin.  If I clear the history every couple of weeks I can usually avoid it happening.  Force-quitting Safari usually works.  Most of the time my issue is it hanging-up after the workout has uploaded.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

suem56

Hi eric - sorry for confusion - when I originally said ' I just get the Upload button re-displayed' that's not strictly true as I also get the device error msg. What I'm saying is that even though I get the device error, it's as though the upload has actually worked - in so much as when I re-boot it finds it straight away without having to re-upload.  I was using a USB hub so have now re-connected direct to the Mac.  I'll see if that helps - and if not I'll try clearing down the history - and let you know how i get on.  NB Like gagahead I also have similar problems (only worse) with Garmin Connect.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was using a USB hub so have now re-connected direct to the Mac.  I'll see if that helps 

I have never found that changing port makes any difference, at least not with the Garmin upload issues.

~ Sarah Kay

Hi eric - sorry for confusion - when I originally said ' I just get the Upload button re-displayed' that's not strictly true as I also get the device error msg. What I'm saying is that even though I get the device error, it's as though the upload has actually worked - in so much as when I re-boot it finds it straight away without having to re-upload.  I was using a USB hub so have now re-connected direct to the Mac.  I'll see if that helps - and if not I'll try clearing down the history - and let you know how i get on.  NB Like gagahead I also have similar problems (only worse) with Garmin Connect.

How about this.  The next time, after you upload, navigate to another page (summary, list workouts, etc) and wait several seconds.  Then go to Tools -> Import training data to RunningAHEAD, which will bring you to the data file import page.  It's similar to the Garmin import page but doesn't load the Garmin Communicator plugin.  You should see your imported workouts waiting for you there.  If this is the case, then there's something wonky about your installation of the Garmin Communicator.  We'll figure out the next step from there.

suem56

Hi Eric - i tried reconnecting to a port on the Mac - no luck - but then followed zoom-zoom's suggestion and cleared down my history. Since then I've had 3 successful uploads - not yet a definite solution as problem was always intermittent so I'll have to give it a bit longer and see if/when problem recurs.  Thanks zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks zoom-zoom

No prob. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

suem56

Hi Eric - just thought I'd update you - no further issues since I cleared the history so looks like a definite fix.

Cocashe

Having a similar problem, but now it's working.  Is there a permanent fix to this?