Running on Empty (Read 94 times)

Flyingscotzman

I am a 55 year old male with marathon best of 3:28:00. I do struggle with my weight, finding it had to lose weight and getting below 185lbs.

I run 99% of my training runs on an empty stomach without any pre-fueling. Is this wrong?

an amazing likeness

It's not a binary of right or wrong....if you're running a marathon tomorrow, it will not be good. If you're running a generic workout it's no big deal.

Just run.

If you routinely eat normally, your body has plenty of calories of energy stored and available for fueling your runs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CalBears

I run 99% of my training runs on an empty stomach without any pre-fueling. Is this wrong?

I am just like you, just a little bit different percentage - which is 100.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I always run in the morning without eating.

SMART Approach

You are good. I am a minimalist too. However, on marathon race day it will be wise to fuel. AND this needs to be practiced on your long run day in the weeks before the event so no surprise race day.  Figure out what works for you race day so you go in confident.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jeffdonahue

+1

You are good. I am a minimalist too. However, on marathon race day it will be wise to fuel. AND this needs to be practiced on your long run day in the weeks before the event so no surprise race day.  Figure out what works for you race day so you go in confident.