New runner training for first 1/2 Marathon 7 August 2011 (Read 1910 times)

Sherene

I have been training for my first marathon for about a month.  I am  following a training program that I found on about.com http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm  I skipped the first two weeks in order to reach my goal of 7Aug 2011.  My question is, I have been doing pretty well until my last long run of 8 miles.  After that run, my shorter runs have been harder to complete and I feel a lack of energy.  Additionally, my knees are burning and uncomfortable after the run and during most of my days.  Could anyone provide tips to improve my energy levels and knee discomfort as well as explain what I may be lacking, overlooking, or just doing wrong...

I dont really have any experience with knee injuries (only heel injuries) but for that I would suggest that you ice the areas that are sore for 15-20 minute intervals. But for the energy levels, try getting a hour extra sleep a night and also, EAT MORE. Now that youre running longer distances you can be burning an extra hundred calories a day that you usually dont, for which you need to compensate. But make sure these extra calories arent just granola bars or ice cream, they should be good calories, like some extra fruit, or toast, maybe some fish (salmon is my fave day before run meal, besides pasta and meat sauce). I hoped this helped.

Maggie & Molly

I don't know how long you have been running and what your average mileage was but I know that when I was training for my 1/2 I went out for a long run (went longer than the plan should have been 8 and I did the whole 13) and although I was excited that I ran that far the result was my body was wiped for the next week (at least).  My leason, I had boosted my miles way to fast. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

.  Could anyone provide tips to improve my energy levels and knee discomfort as well as explain what I may be lacking, overlooking, or just doing wrong...

Your log needs to be public.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Also, how old are your shoes?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Sherene

Thank you for all of your responses!!!

Crackedjacker: It seems like common sense, but I didn’t even think about altering my diet.  I would say that I have a fairly healthy diet.  However, I agree that I may need to eat more.  I am a creator of habit and need to add a few things into my diet.

Cherrieruns: I just went to visit a great store in Providence “Rhode Runner” and they told me the same thing.  My mileage increase is not as extreme as yours but I am increasing a little too fast.  I am a new runner and started about a month ago.  I am running 3 times a week, 2 short and 1 long.  My long run started at 5 miles and increases about a mile each week.  This Saturday I will be attempting 10 miles.  The reason I chose the program that I am following is to ensure that I am ready for the ½ marathon on August 7th.

CanadianMeg: I just got a new pair this past Saturday.  I was told that I needed more support and that I was running with a pair “Reebok: RealFlex” that was made to enjoy its flexibility for shorter runs.  Currently I am breaking in a Nike Zoom Structure Triax+ 14.  Question though: “Is it normal for your toes to tingle when you change shoes?”  I do feel a slight improvement in my knees but the true test is this Saturday after my long run. SurprisedP

While the knee soreness is something I can't comment on, the low energy could be due to accumulating fatigue as you are steadily increasing mileage.  Maybe you are not recovering enough between your runs.  

One think I have learnt from Nobby is using Resting Heart Rate as a measure of my recovery.  I take that measurement every morning (or atleast on days I plan to run) and if it's 4-5 beats higher than normal, it could be because of lack of sleep or I am not recovered enough from my last run. Either way it's going to be a rest day, which could mean a very easy/short run in my case, just not a harder run.  If you ran 8 miles recently I'd hold there for at least another week or two before attempting the 10 miler.  

When I ran my first half a couple of years ago 10 miles was my longest run and I did fine in the race.  The last 5K will be tough but you'll finish fine.  

Sherene

Happyfeet: I have never heard of measuring my resting heart rate to determine my recovery rate... I will try it, thank you!

I'm so glad I read this post. I signed up for a half marathon in October just to kick start my running again, but now I'm afraid I'm in over my head! I have run half heartedly for three years, completed a bunch a 5K's, but I'm not fond of the racing aspect - I just like to run. Have I given myself enough time to train? My first long run of 5 miles is this weekend. It feels like I'll never get to 13 miles. Any advice?

an amazing likeness

I have run half heartedly for three years, completed a bunch a 5K's, but I'm not fond of the racing aspect - I just like to run. Have I given myself enough time to train? My first long run of 5 miles is this weekend. It feels like I'll never get to 13 miles. Any advice?

Skimming your log -- it looks like most of your runs are about 3 - 4 miles.  My first piece of advice would be to have you avoid the temptation to just jump into trying to run 13 miles just to have done it before your half marathon.  You can run the 13.1 miles on shorter runs...work yourself up to being comfy for 8 - 9 miles and you'll be ok.

Overall, you should try to run more days, and run longer distances a few times a week. Do it smart, build up to 8 - 9 (or more) for your long run and 6 - 8 on a one midweek day would be good goals.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good advice above, I would just add that it is wise to not rush into your first half marathon, it is a significant challenge for a new runner.

Depending on your age and fitness it may be best to wait until you have done several runs in the range of 10-12 miles or even 15 miles before racing the half marathon. It is nice to have the confidence of experience.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks for the advice - I was up to an 8 mile long run a year ago before I gave in to my slacker ways of 3 miles once or twice a week. I'll take my time getting back there with 4 runs per week. I do hope to run at least one 10 miler before the date. As with many, I just want to run it to run it, I'm not concerned about time. 

Thanks again, this forum is great!