Treadmill rip off! (Read 2064 times)

Prior to getting in to running I purchased a Nordic Track ellipitical from Sears. Within four months Sears had to replace it 3 times due to various issues. After the third time I decided to switch to a treadmill. Sears took the ellitical back no questions asked (Canada). I was going to again purchase my treadmill from Sears but the sales staff told me based on my household usage (daily) the brands Sears sells are not designed for that type of usage. I purchased a Vision treadmill over three years ago and have had no issues. I paid approximately double what I would have paid at Sears but the equipment has not failed me. No I do not represent the company nor know anyone that does. I am just a very satisfied customer. As an update. My treadmill broke over the weekend. The mechanism that controls elevation failed. I called my local dealer and they came in and told me the manufactorer (Vision) would replace some parts even though the warranty had just expired. Sounded fishy so called Vision directly. Took pictures and sent them. Vision said lifetime warranty on the part that broke and has directed my dealer to replace at no cost. Smile

SMART Approach

Generally, with that extra warranty you get from Sears, they will come out and fix any issues during those 3 years. I don't understand why Sears is not coming to your home. They should deal with it, not Nordic Track. BTW, I think the Pro Form models have a better track record than the Nordic Track models.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I read in another forum there is a guy who bought his tmill from Sears with extended warranty. Some how he gets a new Proform every three years. lol!
          I have another suggestion. How about one of you finding a email for Nordic Track and all of us start writing telling them that we hear they aren't honoring their warranties and so we are going to boycott all of their products. At the same time, we should do the same for Sears, Dicks, Sports Authority and anyone else that sells Nordic Track products.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Just an update..... Nordic Track reinstated our warrantee and said they were sending out a new circuit board. That was almost a month ago....we have been calling and calling and they said that if it doesn't come in by next week they will overnight it....I don't know why they didn't overnight it to begin with. Talked to Sears again- they are ordering a replacement treadmill- will deliver and set up the new one and pick up the old one. SO to make a long story short...I am still very unhappy with Nordic Track, but am thankful for Sears. My gut feeling is that most of these companies make crappy products because they know that 80% (or more) of the people who buy treadmills don't use them for more than a month or two, and then use them to hang clothes on- so they are not made to last more than a month or two (I got 1 months use out of mine).
            sluggo

John

Thx for the update. I am really glad you posted this here. Does Nordic Track and Sears know about this thread? Do they realize how many people now think that Nordic Track is a poor choice for a treadmill? Another site that might be interested in your story is: http://consumerist.com/ I hope you eventually get the product you thought you were buying!

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"