Stupid Rain (Read 2114 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

For the Flying PIG this weekend they are calling for a low of 58 with wind and most likely rain.  I refuse to let the weather get in the way of my BQ.  I am going to wear my sleveless tech shirt and I am going to wear my tri shorts and race ready shorts over that.  Throw a hat on and all that is left are the feet. 

Now I could wear a pair of socks, gallon baggie and then another pair of socks to try and keep my feet dry.  I've done this before and it works out okay.  A little noisy though.  Throw a ton of body glide on the feet and hope for the best.  Anyone got any better suggestions or stories of what worked for them or did not work?

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Feeling the growl again

Yes.  Stop trying to stay dry, it's a hopeless cause.  Wear relatively thin synthetic socks that don't hold water.  Skip the hat, you don't need one with temps in the 50s.  It will only gain weight from water and hold in too much heat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

First of all its a week away.

And since my last marathon featured 38º F and a hard, wind-driven rain I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you.

Wear a visor to keep the water out of your eyes and go racing.  58?  Good grief.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Skip the hat, you don't need one with temps in the 50s.  It will only gain weight from water and hold in too much heat.

I have a few of the WickID hats and love them.  They do not retain much water at all, and breathe quite nicely.  I wear them almost every day during the warmer months.  I find them helpful in the rain, as long as it isn't raining sideways that is.

Agree that your standard baseball cap is no good in the rain, though.

Not at it at all. 

Lazy idiot

I'm racing on Saturday, and hoping for rain.

Tick tock

C-R

I'm running long on Sat and hoping for rain.

It's tweak time. Five more days of un-interrupted nervous energy. Ah the pre-marathon entertainment.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

If only I was a barefooted runner then this wouldn't be an issue.   Baseball hat Running cap is a must to keep the rain out of my eyes.  However the visor idea is a good one as I have a couple of running visors as well. 

I like light rain as it keeps me cool and I don't notice it too much.  It is the heavy rain and the puddles that mess everything up.   Really hate the wind. 

You guys that want the rain can have it all.  If I could package it up and ship it to you.  I would even be willing to pay the extra cost of having it over nighted. 

@MikeyMike - I'm not looking for sympathy brother just some helpful suggestions.  I think since Boston got such nice weather the rest of us are going to pay for it with crappy weather for our marathons.  A lot can change in a week so I am hopefull that it will. 

@C-R  buddy you are close enough to drive on over if you would like the rain.  Plenty of time to sign up. 

2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Feeling the growl again

I'm running long on Sat and hoping for rain.

It's tweak time. Five more days of un-interrupted nervous energy. Ah the pre-marathon entertainment.

You should have consulted with your long run partner before putting in a request for inclement weather Wink

Muddin' trails are always fun.  Sign me up.

Tater, I am not familiar with that type of hat.  I like to keep it simple, I can't even stand racing with sunglasses on much less a hat/gloves.  58 degrees just struck me as pretty warm to be taking anything extra along is all, I consider that on the warm end of what I like to run a marathon in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xor

Now I could wear a pair of socks, gallon baggie and then another pair of socks to try and keep my feet dry.  I've done this before and it works out okay.  A little noisy though. 

Mark me down as a hat/visor guy.  I'm guessing spaniel doesn't wear glasses when he runs.  I do, and rain and glasses are not a fun combo for me.

As for the thing I quoted, I'm not sure what it means.  But if you are saying that you are going to wear two pairs of socks in 58 and rain, don't do this.  No.  Your feet will cook.

Also, the low is 58, but I've seen forecasts that the high will be mid-70s.  You obviously won't see this unless you are planning on running an 8+ hour marathon, but I bet you run some of the race in the 60s.

And if it doesn't rain that much, it's gonna be humid.

No double socking.

Of course, I'm puzzled by the "gallon baggie" reference.  Perhaps you just meant you are carrying a second pair with you to switch midway through the race.  Don't do this either.  Pain in the ass to carry and if it is really raining that hard, the second pair is gonna be just as soaked 20 minutes after you swap.

Feeling the growl again

@C-R  buddy you are close enough to drive on over if you would like the rain.  Plenty of time to sign up. 

That almost sounds like fightin' words or a call for some sort of rivalry.

@MikeyMike - I'm not looking for sympathy brother just some helpful suggestions.  I think since Boston got such nice weather the rest of us are going to pay for it with crappy weather for our marathons. 

I gave you one, wear a visor. Otherwise, seriously, stop worrying about it. 58 and anything is fine. If it rains you'll get wet. You're not paying for anything with crappy weather. People would kill for 58 and rain. And if it's warmer than that you'll be begging for some rain.

Runners run

xor

People would kill for 58 and rain.

[obscure]

I once shot a man just for snoring.

[/obscure]

Me, too, and the race director is hoping for rain. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

[obscure]

I once shot a man just for snoring.

[/obscure]

[mainstream]

I like watching the puddles gather rain.

[/mainstream]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Of course, I'm puzzled by the "gallon baggie" reference.  Perhaps you just meant you are carrying a second pair with you to switch midway through the race.  Don't do this either.  Pain in the ass to carry and if it is really raining that hard, the second pair is gonna be just as soaked 20 minutes after you swap.

Okay I think I figured out what the gallon baggie is for and it makes me shudder.  I think Bearcat is thinking it might be a good idea to put on one sock, then put a plastic bag over his foot, then put on another sock.  I'd love to be wrong about this.  I don't think I am.

Um, okay, Bearcat I know that making fun of you is like my favorite sport on the internet but I must, for a moment, be serious and say that if you were considering it, PLEASE do not do the sock, baggie, sock thing.  Seriously.  Dude.

Just put on one pair of running socks.

Maybe a little vaseline on the feet first but that's it.  You might get wet, it will be okay.

Runners run