vo2 max calculation (Read 129 times)

sub520

Does anyone know how the forerunner 45 estimates the vo2 max for it's calculation?  I am really confused by it.  I am 39 and am in pretty good shape.  I always have an estimated value between 56-59 on the watch.  I thought that if I had a harder workout that the value would be higher.  For example, I did a 4 mile tempo run and averaged right around 6:30 pace.  v02 max was a 57.  I have done a mile on the track at 5:45, and it is 57.  But then on some recovery days I will relax at an 8:15-8:30 pace and it shows I have a v02 max of 58 or even 59.  I would have thought that the harder workout would have more of an impact on the vo2 max, but it seems like the isn't the case.  Also, I noticed that in February I was consistently at 59, but in the summer with more consistent training and better paces/times, I am most consistently at 57.  So curious on how it is being calculated.

an amazing likeness

It's a calculation Garmin makes based on heart rate and speeds in the workout.  There's a good explanation here [link to sportcoaching.co.nz].  Garmin also has some articles on their support site.

To my reading of these it seems like they're using heart rate in various zones and pace to arrive at their estimate.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

sub520

Thanks!  That first site is very helpful.

BoutWorkout

That's a great link! Let me check that out.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's a calculation Garmin makes based on heart rate and speeds in the workout.  There's a good explanation here [link to sportcoaching.co.nz].  Garmin also has some articles on their support site.

To my reading of these it seems like they're using heart rate in various zones and pace to arrive at their estimate.

Very interesting.

I do note that their calculations do NOT take weather into consideration.  Which matches my experience (my Garmin measured VO2 Mmax reliably drops every summer and rises every winter)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

I think Garmin's calculation / algorithm is laughable. It  (FR 935) started to give me VO2 Max 58 couple of months ago, then creeped to 59, 60 and now for a month tells me my VO2 Max is 61 !!! 61 means I can run 2:41 marathon. My marathon PR 2:48 was set 6 years ago when I was in best shape of my life, I am overweight by 8 pounds now but apparently, according to Garmin, I still should be able to run 2:41. It's a joke...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

kilkee

runktrun

I have the 935 as well.  The absolute value doesn't mean much, but I think the trends can be helpful pieces of information along with other training notes.  I got my VO2max as a bonus from some lab tests and it's higher than what garmin calculates.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Marky_Mark_17

Very interesting.

I do note that their calculations do NOT take weather into consideration.  Which matches my experience (my Garmin measured VO2 Mmax reliably drops every summer and rises every winter)

I notice the same thing.

I also am not convinced their adjustment for hilly terrain is accurate as I notice the same pattern - lower VO2Max when running a lot of hilly routes, higher on the flat.  Although that may just mean I am not very good at hills.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think it's pretty much fiction, but I like the flattery I get from it.

CalBears

Yep, it continues its uptrend - today I've got 62 - yeah - here comes sub 2:40 marathon!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yep, it continues its uptrend - today I've got 62 - yeah - here comes sub 2:40 marathon!

I'm still waiting to run my sub-21:00 5K at age 74.  It's been 20 years since I ran one that fast.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Arnoldziffel

Thanks for this information - I've often wondered how my Garmin determines my max V02.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

sub520

I am resurrecting this thread from a couple of years ago with the V02 max calculation.  If I look at the Vo2 max graph on Garmin connect, it has gone from 59 in November, to 58 in December, to 56 in January, and now 54 in February, and for the first time on my cooldown today, I saw a 53 when I completed my cooldown jog.  This is from someone who at the end of last year was 58-60 for all runs.  It is almost a linear drop.

I turn 42 in about a month.  I am wondering if there was a calculation change that occurred once the calendar changed to 2024 due to my age?

I was in Colorado at the beginning of January and took about 10 days off from running, but that wouldn't cause a linear drop like I have seen. But to continue to see it drop has me perplexed.  Today I did a tempo run, and when I did this tempo run in November - same route, and around the same pace (today was 6:02 mile pace, last time it was 6:04 mile pace) my Vo2 max was either 58, 59, or 60.  Today it was 54.  I have not changed my weight at all in the app, so that isn't the case.

sub520; check the graph of your whole run. Sometimes cold weather messes with the HR sensor built into the watch. You might see a minute or two where the HR shot up by 20, but your pace was constant. Those sensors use an optical method, and I had read that the cold can change the skin so the watch optical sensor glitches. Something like that. If the HR goes up but pace/cadence stays the same, it will cause the algorithm to reduce your vO2max score.

I'm a Polar user, so apples to oranges with Garmin algorithm.

I think these watch estimates are in the ballpark, but in no way accurate since they use a "one size fits most" calculation. Kind of like that "max HR is 220 minus your age" thing.

What they ARE good for is using the same watch and comparing the vO2 max "score" over time, since it's an indicator of fitness level, sort of. But exclusively to YOU, and not as a comparison to other people, even if they're using the same watch.

I'm M61, and when I'm feeling pretty fit from running 35+ miles a week for a few months my watch tells me my vO2max is between 55 and 60. Other times, like now where I've only been running 20 miles a MONTH for a couple months, I'm getting scores of 42-49 on my runs. And it all depends on the distance, I score higher going slower pace but running further.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would recommend you look at actual race performances rather than an estimated calculation.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22