"Under the Dome" Reviews (Read 227 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I read the book when it released. I don't remember much about it other than the ending is super wacky. I've watched the first two episodes and I don't know if I'll keep watching. I find myself playing on my phone DURING the show, which is never a good sign.

mab411: Ugh, I know. I love love love the Dark Tower series and have high hopes for a good adaptation but I'm terrified that they'll make it so bad.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

mab411: Ugh, I know. I love love love the Dark Tower series and have high hopes for a good adaptation but I'm terrified that they'll make it so bad.

A few years ago, Ron Howard and his production team announced with great fanfare that they would be doing a full-on TV and film series adaptation of The Dark Tower.  The whole thing got backburnered, but according to this recent article, and this one, there's still hope for it.

As for Under the Dome, I thought the first episode was promising, with a lot of interesting deviations from the book.  The second one was really slow, and point to a big flaw in the set-up -- the open-ended nature of this "series."  CBS is doing 13 episodes, with the option to do more next summer if the ratings are good (and signs are that this will happen).  In my opinion, they'd be better doing this as a one-off mini-series with a definite ending.  I think the storytelling meanders when there's no end date in sight (i.e. Lost, until they had an end date).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I watched the first 2 episodes.  Its was ok, I will see if the next ones get better.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

A few years ago, Ron Howard and his production team announced with great fanfare that they would be doing a full-on TV and film series adaptation of The Dark Tower.  The whole thing got backburnered, but according to this recent article, and this one, there's still hope for it.

Thanks for those links, Jeff!  I knew about the Ron Howard (yay!) ambitions to produce the project with Javier Bardem as Roland (um, yay?) over the course of three movies (yay! wait - three?) with miniseries supplements (um...hmm.).  And I'd also heard the project was all but canceled, but didn't know it was still kicking.

I just hope the deal doesn't go through with a reduced budget.  As much as I trust Ron Howard to produce a quality project, I'd worry they'd have to skimp on content.  I am glad to see the mention of Russell Crowe as Roland.  As good of an actor as Javier Bardem is, I just never saw him as The Gunslinger.  Crowe might be a little stockier than the book's description, but he's got the eyes.

I'm also a little concerned about the mention of just doing one, and going forward with more if it succeeds.  Because The Gunslinger doesn't exactly sweep one away with excitement.  There are a few good set pieces, and if done well, it would receive high critical acclaim, but they'd probably need to go ahead and borrow some scenes from later books to make it marketable.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I watched the first 2 episodes.  Its was ok, I will see if the next ones get better.

That's about where I am.  The acting is bad...  just bad.... but the concept interests me.  I'm not giving up yet.....

Tammarin.....

I wasted my time reading the book, why would I waste more time watching a movie about a bad book?

This is the only Steven King book that I didn't finish reading.  I bought it in 2010, and have been 100 pages from the end since 2010....

Sounds like the TV version is no better from what folks are saying!  Disappointing, but not surprising, based on the history of shows/movies made by Steven King often not being anywhere near as good as the book was...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Capt Awesome

I read the book and though it wasn't my favorite SK book it wasn't my least favorite either. That was a couple years ago so the details are hazy (unlike The Stand for instance) but the show seems to get the idea. It has terrible acting though, I likely won't be watching any more though.

The only SK book I couldn't finish was Lisey's Story.