Canadian runners for 2012 Olympics? (Read 573 times)

I know we have Coolsaet and Gillis in the men's marathon but I have not heard of any women qualifying.

In track events I expect Felicien and Lopes-Schliep for hurdles, Hilary Stellingwerf in the 1500, but I seem to recall Gary Reed (800m) and Sully (1500m) have both retired, though I can't recall where I may have read this.

Anyway, there is not much news available, unlike the US where there is lots of publicity- perhaps someone can fill me in?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

No women made the Canadian qualifying standard of 2:29:08. Actually no one came with in 3 minutes of it.

There is another male spot available. Wykes has a good  shot at that and maybe Watson has an outside shot. Bairu ran a 2:19 in Houston so he missed his chance.

Too bad about Bairu, my high hopes for him haven't been realized.  I thought he would have been a sure thing for an Olympic spot... just last year he was planning to go after Drayton's record.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I read about Bairu on L--s R-n, a disappointing outcome, but perhaps he is better suited to the 10,000m. Tough field for a 27:23 guy, but who knows?

Perhaps Canadian Running has some coverage- I will have to pick up a copy!

Too bad about the females, but at least we have the men.   We always seem to do better in the Winter Olympics sports it seems.  

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

I forgot about Sheila Reid!  She is from Newmarket, near where I live, and runs for Villanova. She should be in the 5000m or 1500m or both, she beat Jordan Hasay at NCAA xc championships.

Nate Brannen may qualify for the 1500m.

I am not sure Stellingwerff is fast enough to meet the A standard, and frankly is likely to be eliminated in the heats, there is a lot of depth at her event.