knee sleeve or brace (Read 52 times)

spinach

I have long had a bad left knee  and a year ago I hurt my right knee that needed some surgeries.  It has gotten better although there are some difficulties with it and I feel my left knee is my better knee. The main problem I have now is that my right at times does not feel real stable. It occasionally buckles and I am not at all comfortable walking down a flight of stairs. I am afraid I will fall although i haven't yet.  So for the last few months I have worn a knee compression sleeve or brace most of the time. I may be wearing it most of the time since it does help keeping the knee warmer here in Minnesota but it also makes me feel the knee is more stable. I don't know if this is really helping it stable but it does keep my knee warmer. However i am a bit concerned about wearing it so much, probably 15+ hours a day.

Is wearing a brace for so much of the time every day going to end up making my knees weaker by preventing them getting the stress naturally on them? I really don't know what I should be doing with this? Any ideas?

an amazing likeness

I often wear knee bracing for a good portion of the day to help with stability, specifically Dunjoy Reaction Web brace for daily activity, then Dunjoy Bionic when running.  I don't feel that added stability support leads to weakening, the brace compensates for ligament and structural damage (for me).

These are both a bit more than a 'knee sleeve' type product. When I go without, it doesn't seem to have affected knee strength -- however, I do spend time on specific knee strength work whenever I'm at the gym.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I  have worn knee sleeves all day for a few days but not long term.

Are you doing any pt or weight lifting for your knee?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

spinach

Thanks,  I didn't wear the sleeve today, and I may stop wearing it all the time. I don't do any weight or other exercises other than walking and running.  I do walk a lot I occasionally wear a watch that tracks my steps and on the days when I wear it all day I am in the 20,000s steps every time. I just feel that my knee has given back some of the recovery it had after the surgeries.