Achilles tendonitis?? (Read 637 times)

evtish

My left Achilles/calf keeps bothering me after my runs, to the point sometimes where it is slightly painful to put weight on my left foot. it's a dull pain up from the ankle tthrough the calf area. This has been happening since I started running regularly in October. I attributed it to upping mileage to quickly, so I stopped running for about 3 wks in Dec to try to heal. Since then it's been occuring less often, but if I run say 3 days in a row, or do intervals, it has a tendancy to bother me. I've been icing and using ibuprofren, but it is frustrating. Yesterday, I ran a tempo run and when I finished there was pain when I stepped with my left foot. Does this sound like Achilles tendonitis?? Feedback appreciated.

My legs are killing me

It sounds like it to me. Your doing the right thing with rest and ice. If your going to run go easy, no tempo runs, and make sure you stretch your achilles really well before and after you run.
        Are you running with shorts in cold weather? I used to wear shorts on runs to the low 30's and below until I started having achilles issues. Apparently the cold prevents the calf muscles from warming up and that puts a lot of stress on the achilles tendons. Once I limited my runs in shorts to 45F or above, the achilles issues went away. Don't treat achilles pain lightly, they can rupture with little warning. I would suggest not running at all until you are pain free. Tom