Running fitness help!! (Read 119 times)

losthawk

First sorry if ive put this in wrong place.

But I've got an issue on my hands, for past 9 weeks I've been going running (began slow, at twice a week for 20 minutes of 1 minute running an 2 minutes walking, now at 3 times a week.) and i cant get my time running up, my knees ache badly after 1 minute (sometimes i can get to 1.5 minutes running solid as my first set or on the downhills hehe...) But any tips? i get out of breath, but my breathe comes back and i can run further its my knees just ache alot and it stops me, should i just push through the pain? Alot of my area is uphill, and then downhill on my way back...

I wasnt a full on couch potato prior to running, id take my dogs on a walk, and have horses so theres a fair bit of physical activity... Have i tried to much? my knees aches since day 1 of running. i was using the couch to 5k program and got to end of week 3 before i had to stop cause i couldnt keep up. now at 9 weeks and i'm struggling. i'm meant to be doing a fitness test soon probably (3 weeks time possibly) so really really need some help as bleep tests involved.

First off, let's break the bad news that if you are out of breath after running for 1 minute, the fitness test in 3 weeks is not likely to go well. You won't help matters trying to "cram for the exam".

Assuming you do not have a pre-existing knee problems, new/better shoes could help with the knee pain (this is my first indicator I need new shoes).

Regarding being out of breath, it is very common for new runners to go too fast, too soon. Try slowing down the running part a bit.

You said you got to week 3 and stopped but now you are at week 9. What does this mean?

Quite a lot of us around here started running with the couch-to-5k (or similar). Forgetting about your fitness test, I would start over at the point in the program where you were able to comfortably complete the plan, and then repeat the weeks as needed before moving to the next week. Another thing I found helpful then (and still do today when coming back into shape after a layoff) is a 30 minute to an hour walk on the days in  between when I am run/walking. Don't underestimate the value of walking.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The key with C25K is to repeat weeks if you find a week really difficult. Don't progress to the next week if you aren't ready for it.

Are you running in proper shoes? Old shoes make my knees sore. Are you sore or in pain? A bit of soreness is normal. It takes time for tendons and muscles to adjust to running. If it's painful, maybe you need to try walking every day for 30 minutes for a while.

I think it's too soon to be looking for speed gains. It takes time.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

pedaling fool

First sorry if ive put this in wrong place.

But I've got an issue on my hands, for past 9 weeks I've been going running (began slow, at twice a week for 20 minutes of 1 minute running an 2 minutes walking, now at 3 times a week.) and i cant get my time running up, my knees ache badly after 1 minute (sometimes i can get to 1.5 minutes running solid as my first set or on the downhills hehe...) But any tips? i get out of breath, but my breathe comes back and i can run further its my knees just ache alot and it stops me, should i just push through the pain? Alot of my area is uphill, and then downhill on my way back...

I wasnt a full on couch potato prior to running, id take my dogs on a walk, and have horses so theres a fair bit of physical activity... Have i tried to much? my knees aches since day 1 of running. i was using the couch to 5k program and got to end of week 3 before i had to stop cause i couldnt keep up. now at 9 weeks and i'm struggling. i'm meant to be doing a fitness test soon probably (3 weeks time possibly) so really really need some help as bleep tests involved.

You need to back off the running if your knees are hurting; if you try to just 'run' thru the pain, you're doing damage and that damage can become irreversible.

I don't know much of your specifics; however, I have a pretty bad knee problem from a childhood accident, that basically manifests itself much like a permanent case of Runner's knee. http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/runners-knee

My recommendation would be to start up a weight training program that works the entire leg, not just the quads, which are primarily worked during a jog -- especially downhill running. It helps me greatly to do things like squats and deadlifts and I have zero pain in my bum knee that should in theory keep me from running and I do all types of running, i.e. long slow runs, speedwork, tempos, hill running....

http://strengthrunning.com/2015/07/best-strength-exercises-for-runners/

http://www.active.com/running/articles/strength-training-for-runners

I'm not a fan of these couch-to-5K run plans, because it ignores the importance of developing a strong, healthy frame (musculoskeletal system).

Developing the aerobic system is so easy, compared to the connective tissues that MUST be strong to support injury-free running. Also, imbalances in strength, i.e stronger quads, compared to hamstrings is a major cause of problems, such as knee pain.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/quad-hamstring-ratio

i get out of breath, but my breathe comes back and i can run further its my knees just ache alot and it stops me, should i just push through the pain?

If you are getting out of breath, you are running way too fast for your current level of fitness.  Never push through pain in a training run.

Can you comfortably walk for 60 minutes at a brisk pace?  Brisk means striding right along as if you really need to get somewhere.  If not, you need to work on your walking before doing much running.  I suggest a brisk 30 minute walk EVERY.SINGLE.DAY, and a 60 minute brisk walk one day per week until you can do that comfortably.  Then ease into running, but maintain the 30 minutes per day.  Run slow enough that you do not get out of breath.

Once you get into good enough shape to pass the fitness test, then you can cut back to a 30 minute run 3 or 4 days per week to maintain your fitness.

DoppleBock

I would Echo ... Can you walk 4 MPH or faster for 30 minutes without getting out of breathe?

99% of all people run too fast when they start running.  So try slowing down.  Also try running on dirt or grass and see what happens.  Depending on where the knee pain is it could be many things.  The easiest to address ~ tight IT Bands.

Have you run before ?

There are some people that are better off biking or finding a different fitness avenue other than running ... not likely, but possible.

After running for 10+ years, I took 3 off and started back up at the beginning of December 2016.  I was heavy and out of shape.  I started jogging 3 minutes walking 2 ... repeat.  The jogging was at 5.7 MPH and the walking at 3.8 MPH.  I share this to impress how slow you may need to do your "Run" part of your interval.  Because I had run many miles before I quit, I have added fitness quicker than the 1st time I started running.  But I am still only at an average of @ 8:45-9:00 minute miles today.  I can do a 3 mile speed workout at @ 6:55 minute miles, but 95% of my weekly miles are still pretty darn slow.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Daydreamer1

One thing that I'll add here that no one else brought up. Work on your flexibility. Tight muscles put more strain on tendons and ligaments.  Tight muscles restrict range of motion and are not happy muscles.  Look around on the internet for common stretches to do. I have some weird ones that I do that I won't get into.

I haven't stretched in 3-4 days and today's run was rather painful. I would advise you to stretch after running and in between runs. I won't tell you to stretch before a run because that it controversial.

I hate stretching, but when I work at keeping up a semi decent program my joints thank me and the runs are far more enjoyable.

TristanH

CardioCritic

I've been running for 30 years and only had to stop once for 18 months following an injured achilles.That's not to say I'm a good runner .. but I am a CAREFUL runner

If I went outside right now and ran for 1 minute until I'm out of breath my knees would also hurt. Not because there's a problem with them, but because I had gone off WAY TO QUICK and my knees (synovial fluid etc) is not warm enough to start working hard.

Have you tried pacing yourself maybe with a heart rate monitor. I have run with dozens of people who say they can't run more than 1 mile without having to stop ... pacing that first mile with an HRM has often been the solution.

You don't have to spend a fortune, something like this Polar FT4 for under $70 would be fine to get you started

There are many ways to calculate heart rate zones and for a relative beginner I'd recommend something sensible like this one from Runner's World.

1) Put your HRM on

2) Walk for 10 minutes

3) Jog at no more than 60% of MaxHR for 3 or 4 minutes

4) Walk for 3 mins

5) Repeat 3 and 4 two or three times.

Hopefully you can do this without your knees hurting :-)

Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic

Strava

CardioCritic

Power-Pedals

Teileen

Another thing not mentioned yet is running form.  I can't tell you how many runners I've seen on our local trails over the years slamming their heels into the ground with hips collapsing while wearing knee straps.  Ugh.   Anyway, here's an interesting article on the topic: http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/injury-prevention/are-you-committing-these-form-flaws_292.  Is it your issue?  Who knows.  But maybe.  I know this seems to be a taboo topic as most runners will say you cannot correct form/stride issues but I'm at least one example of a person that was able to learn how to run properly after the age of 35 by using techniques like discussed in the article (and lots of physical therapy) in the first few years of my running life.   Good luck.

Est. 2006

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

This has been alluded to in couple of different ways.  I'll give my take.

First, aerobic development comes a whole lot faster than anything else (all other things being equal).  You can start seeing aerobic improvement in in just a few weeks IF your don't press too hard.  Unfortunately the rate of improvement tends to outpace all other improvements and you go too fast for the other systems that also need to improve.  By aerobic, I mean the heart and lungs in the cardiovascular system.

The second thing that starts to improve is the muscular system but that is an 8-10 week period before you start seeing any real progress and more like 3-6 months.

Finally, the joints and cartilage take more than 6 months and really closer to a year to adjust to all of this.  It can all be related to the amount of blood and getting blood through these various regions.

It took me three years of solid daily walking to both drop the final 60 pounds and to get my fitness level to the point where taking up running wasn't such a challenge.

As was pointed out above, you can't cram for a fitness test.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

PixieDustRunner

Great job at getting out there and increasing your fitness as opposed to sitting on the couch.  I remember feeling the same way.  Only I had shin splints that were just so awful.  From my experience, the wrong shoes were the issue.  So now I'm big on suggesting to start there, with the right shoe.  After I had progressed to running 6 miles without stopping I moved to the mountains which increased elevation and hills in every direction.  No flat ground to run on.  Hills are Hard!!  I felt like I was starting over again.  But I learned that it's better to power through your rear than working your quads so much.  I suspect your pain and potentially your lack of stamina might be from leaning too far forward when running up hills.  I read an article in RW that suggested taking 10 running steps and 20 walking steps when starting to run hills.  Also, use your glutes to push you up the hills instead of your quads to pull you up.  Your glute medius is probably weak, so look for exercise that can help you strengthen that often overlooked muscle.  If you need to, drive to a flat location once a week or so for your run.  After working hills this should feel easier and give you a bit of encouragement.  Slow your roll if you need to, and check with your doctor if pain persists.  Best of luck!!  You got this!!