How important is a long run? (Read 1166 times)

Nobby... Nice to see the response. What do you feel is the best way to "BALANCE" the training when doing high mileage? thanks j
    Man, I feel like I opened up a can of worms... Jayr: It all depends on your current fitness level, background of training, what race you're training for, where you are in terms of your over-all development program, and your strengths and weaknesses. Quite blantly, first of all, when we talk about high mileage, that means you're not racing during that period; your goal is to elevate your oxygen uptake level without creating too much shuffling action. Specifically, I'd say something like you'd do one long run on weekend, maybe a medium long run mid-week; perhaps one day of what Jack Daniel would call "cruise interval" or some tempo run... Including lots of hills would help. When I first moved to the US, I could see MY problems. I included one day of hill training (pretty much original Lydiard hill circuit) to my "build-up" phase. If you are one of those people who want to race quite frequently, you should then include some race specific workout but not to the point where your long runs would start to suffer. It also depends on the background of your training which would lead to the next point...
    Jayr

Not racing too much now.. Just trying to build some miles.... Will try mix in some hills as I do live around some. Did not mean to open the can of worms.. Thanks for the advice.j.
        Thanks Nobby for posting that Earlier on this year while training for my 2nd marathon read in a few places by respected coaches about capping the long run at 2½-3 hours. For me that is about 15-18 miles. I remember having discussions with others they would tell me i should do 20 miles even for confidence. Its an arguement that still divides people. Well i didn't run 20 miles longest i did was 18 just the once, but still took 43 minutes of my first time only difference i ran more miles over the weeks and months beforehand but not as many long runs (i did run long for me) as other marathoners So i agree with everything you said there. and will do the same next time
        Pammie: I don't have any intention, however, of souding like I'm actually against doing twice or three times of 20-milers. I'm sure whoever started saying this "3 X 20-miler" deal must have had a good reason for it. Now, originally what and how he/she said it I'm not sure. If the intention was to say something like "Before you attemp to run a marathon, you should have done at least three 20-milers (in whatever the time span it might have taken)", then I'm more opt to agree. If this person tried to come up with some sort of a formula like "between 3 and 6 weeks before your marathon, you should have done 3 X 20-miler...", well, I'd more likely to disagree. I think far too many beginners would get "too tired" trying to complete such a formula. I absolutely believe they'd be better off if they do it maybe just once. Now, in your case, however, you've already run a marathon. That's got to be somehting to be accounted for. In other words, you may have been able to get away with "building up from the get-go". I don't know how long between those marathons or what kind of program you did for the first one and the most recent one. But you may come to the point, somewhere along the way, that you may want to consider building up a decent foundation again. In other words, just because you did really well with no long run at all (after you've built up and run a marathon already); that may not be the simpliest winning formula either.
          You may have answered this in a round about way but I'll ask the question anyway; Why should you run a long run longer than your intended distance unless your intended distance is the marathon? It seems everyone says to go run long, unless you are training for the marathon, then you should stop at 20 miles. Would someone benefit at all from doing 25 or even 30 mile runs as their long run? I believe your response (if I can read between the lines of your other posts) is your body can't handle it. The pounding over that many hours would be detrimental versus positive to your overall training. Agree, disagree? If you disagree with my assumption, then why don't people recommend doing longer runs than the marathon as training? After you address that then how do you train for ultras?
          I'm not quite sure if I got your question correctly... Well, I'm sure you didn't mean to say, "If you're a 1500m runner, you don't need to run longer than 1500m..." Ah, I remember Bowerman pulling some comment like that in the Runner interview... There are some physiological benefits you can expect by going for, say, longer than 2-hours; that, for very good runners, would be somewhere around 18~22 miles. Would they benefit from runs longer than that? I actually do think so. I've gone 30-miles in training before. Old-timer middle distance greats like Peter Snell, Herb Elliot, Murray Halberg all went as far as 30-miles. Rob de Castella, though he's a marathon runner, had done a 30-miler quite regularly; Toshihiko Seko would do 60~80km quite often. There's got to be some mental benefit but I'm sure there're some physiological benefit for people to go that far. Body CAN certainly handle it as long as you go sensibly. Like; I didn't all of a sudden jump out and did a 30-miler. I've done many months of close to 100. I was fit enough to do weekend's 20-miler at sub-7 pace regularly. In fact, this particular occasion, two of my friends were following me in a car and they measure the distance. I passed 26 miles in something like 3:05 and had 4 more miles to go. I was very very fit then. And I didn't feel any ill-effect afterwards either. My body certainly handled it alright. There's this guy in AZ who had a great running blog for a while (I think he stopped it for a while and now started again). He is a very good runner at somewhere around 2:35 or something. We were talking about his "bonking" and I suggested him to go do a couple of 28-milers. I can't remember if it worked or not (I know he did it). It does make sense depending on the situation and background of the individual.
            I don't know if you've seen it Nobby, but the runners from the Hanson Brooks distance project post their training logs. You don't see any 3-hour runs. Going back to July, Brian Sell's longest is 2:25. What you see, though, is consistency. Day in and day out. Lots of easy runs in the 75-90 minute range. http://www.hansons-running.com/odp/logs.htm I remember Mary at CoolRunning and her spiel about the need to run 4 hours every other weekend. She never could justify it, except to say it worked for her -- but it really didn't because she'd only run a handful of marathons in 30 years and bonked on all but one or two. Good times. I think McMillan has a RunningTimes article in which he suggests a couple superlong runs. He recognizes earlier the benefit of consistency, though. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=11725&PageNum=3
              I don't think there is a specific number that anyone can put on it like 20 miles or 4 times before the race; a lot of good info on here, but your trying to build up the specific components that will be needed during the race and for me it means building confidence in all areas from a good strong leg feeling, a good breathing pattern, the right way to hydrate and even down to the way your going to tie your shoe. I think a good 17 to 20 mile run would be enough and if you feel good and confident with a run of this length then I am sure on race day you can gut out another 6 to 9 miles. I don't think an 8 mile run will tell you if you can do 26 though. I think doing a few long runs in the weeks leading up are necessary to make all the adaptations; I also believe that running more miles just makes you in better running shape which leads to speed but if you wanna run faster, you have to get your 5k and 10k times lower which means its basically a track meet.
                As I alluded to earlier, for some of us, the long run is the fun to live for - at least on trails. BUT it definitely needs a supporting cast - both in terms of current volume and time at prior volume. I recognize that many marathon pgms suggest a max long run of 3 hrs or something along those lines - and not sure where that idea originated (I have my hypotheses). But if you get into ultra running, which is usually on trails, most normal folks consider their long runs to be at least 4 hrs and may reach 8 hrs - several times before a race. 4 hrs, from what I've been told, is when the endocrine system starts adapting to running longer. Keep in mind these are usually up and down hills so there's lots of variety in footing, but one does have long downhills. Are these different species of humans or do they train differently? Following on Nobby's comments about many elites doing 30 miles and being a matter of training, I'd definitely agree it's a training issue. For some perspective on volume and long runs, take a look at these two blogs. One guy was 3rd at Miwok 100k and 1st at Wasatch 100 mi (4th fastest time in race history) this year. The other (currently injured) won LT100 the last 2 yrs (missed this year). http://akrunning.blogspot.com/ (Goeff Roes) http://www.antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/ Kyle Skaggs just whacked 3 hr off course record at Hard Rock 100, but he's so low key, I don't think he even has a blog. He just runs. But look at how long they maintain those volumes and long runs. If they do any "speed" work, it's usually embedded in another run. They basically run - and run lots - up and down hills in the mountains. Some of these younger ultra runners, like Skaggs and Krupicka, have been referred to as the running equivalent of ski bums. Contrast that approach with Matt Carpenter, who trains more traditionally and whacked a bunch of time off LT100 record a few years ago. He doesn't like the super long long runs, but runs back-to-back longish runs. http://www.skyrunner.com/story/2005lt100.htm From my own experience, the first year I trained for a 38-miler (part of 50 miler), I struggled with the volume and long runs - partly because I was increasing both faster than I had in the past, but wanted to run 60k the year I turned 60 - and I'd been working toward it for several years. (marathons weren't convenient and require more travel, so didn't use one as stepping stone beyond 15 mi race). I barely got 2 runs in the 7-8 hr range when it had been suggested to have 3. I struggled to get to 38 mi as my hips were tightening. I was a bit sore and dead legs after the race, but not too bad. This year I kept the 3-4 hr long run (sometimes on snowshoes) every 2 wks or so through much of the winter, esp. after Dec, but I was considering a winter ultra, but decided not to do it. When the roads were safe in the mountains, I started adding hills. Evenutally I ended up with four 8-hr runs (25-29 mi, 4500-5000 ft of up and similar down) between May 25 and July 7 - every 2 wks. They gradually got easier, although never really easy. Uphills were frequently walked, all downhills were run. The 4-hr run 3 wks out seemed like a piece of cake.Wink Besides the long run (about 40% of 2-wk volume, my microcycle), I usually had 3 workouts in a 2-wk period, 2 of them with hills, which supported the long run. This year, I had no problems getting to 38 mi about 1.4 hr earlier (about 11.5 hr) than last year and got to 42 mi by the 13-hr cutoff. My legs were barely tired or sore the next day and probably could've run in a few days, but had some hiking chores to do first. I need to get faster to finish the 50-mi race. This race has no aid stations for the 38-mi of trail, so we need to carry food and water with us, although water can be refilled at streams - so it's not like tooling along on a flat road with water being provided every 3 mi. My biggest weakness is being slow running downhill in mud since that takes me longer than run/walking uphill. Specificity in training. I would structure my training differently next year - not because I felt that what I did this year didn't work, but because I feel like with this level of training, my body can tolerate more intense work now. It couldn't handle that much last year, but this year - after a year at near similar levels - it can tolerate a lot more. And that's for a 61 yo female. Post-race, most of my runs have been a bit faster and stamina a bit better as I prep for a 13 mi race (that starts with 3000ft up in 4 mi) - and no 8-hr long runs.Wink My point is that if someone, even slow people, want to train long, esp. on trails, these things can be built up to given enough time. Even though I'm slow. fast people may train with similar long runs, just because their races may be 15 hr to 48 hr or multi-day. Tim Tweitemeyer uses something like 8-hr long runs for race prep, and he's run WS100 under 24 hr for 25 yrs and won it 5 or 6 times. Would I suggest a new runner with 20mpw base do a 6-hr long run on asphalt so the marathon wouldn't be that painful? No. But if I were anticipating taking 6 hr for a race, I'd probably build my volume over years to the point where it could support at least a 4-5 hr long run - and maybe a few of them. In my mind, having someone cap their long run at 3 hr (aiming for 6 hr race time) for fear of injury is just postponing the injury from training to the race - and borders on irresponsible. For me, I found I could get by with one long run of near race distance / duration / elevation for shorter races, but when I'm using long runs of less than race distance / duration / elevation (like for ultra), I felt I needed at least three to adapt to the distance.
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                Pammie

Thanks Nobby, that makes sense. After the first one (which didn't exactly go to plan training wise) i lost my mojo completely for about 5 months which thankfully returned. The plan is from now is after a summer of 5km races is to rebuild my miles (just completed the first week - 43 miles) over the coming months ready to start training for a marathon (if i get in) come January

Feeling the growl again

I don't know if you've seen it Nobby, but the runners from the Hanson Brooks distance project post their training logs. You don't see any 3-hour runs. Going back to July, Brian Sell's longest is 2:25. What you see, though, is consistency. Day in and day out. Lots of easy runs in the 75-90 minute range. http://www.hansons-running.com/odp/logs.htm I remember Mary at CoolRunning and her spiel about the need to run 4 hours every other weekend. She never could justify it, except to say it worked for her -- but it really didn't because she'd only run a handful of marathons in 30 years and bonked on all but one or two. Good times. I think McMillan has a RunningTimes article in which he suggests a couple superlong runs. He recognizes earlier the benefit of consistency, though. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=11725&PageNum=3
                    The only perspective I'll add here is that when you look at the logs of people like Sell, remember that he runs a marathon in 2:10-2:15. So a 3-hr training run would be close to 30 miles for him and way over the time he'd spend in a race. Even for me in the 2:30 range, typically my longest long runs would be around 22 miles, which would take almost exactly the same time as my projected race. I have only run over 2:50 three times in my life -- prior to my first marathon as I was training with a couple slower friends (22-miler in 3hrs), my first marathon (2:53), and this past Saturday (19.25 miles in around 2:50 with a friend training to break 4 hrs). For people on the fast end, a long run about as long time-wise as the race with some good quality in is sufficient since you're usually doing much higher overall volume. On the slower end, I tend to recommend capping at 3hrs no matter the race goal as I think the negatives outweigh any benefits of going longer (pounding, fatigue, recovery, etc).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

For people on the fast end, a long run about as long time-wise as the race with some good quality in is sufficient since you're usually doing much higher overall volume. On the slower end, I tend to recommend capping at 3hrs no matter the race goal as I think the negatives outweigh any benefits of going longer (pounding, fatigue, recovery, etc).
                      Here's where you go back to the individual and the goal. My experience, in my best (marathon) effort my longest run was exactly the same time as my result...3:27. That long run was pretty easy, I remember only pausing once briefly for about 5 seconds in that run while a sidewalk sweeper passed and I had nowhere to go. I don't think I'd have done as well in the race had I not taken that run as far as I did and my other races support that. I'm a believer that those long runs shouldn't beat you up. Regardless of where you cut them off, if you're shuffling/walking along to finish one, you've gone too far. I do think you need to push your long runs to build them and your endurance properly but you need to know when to end them. Struggle in a long run and you'll struggle in your race.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Lots of great responses. So I think the answer is yes I need to start doing long runs. I like the idea of going by time, it isn't something I've done before but it sounds like a good idea of just getting time on your feet.